Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020
    Hi Jessica - I was wondering what firms are looking for in non-law graduates during (virtual) vacation schemes?

A lot fo the advice I found online are about researching the firm/being proactive, but I was wondering what is expected of me regarding the actual work? Could I be productive without legal knowledge, and what could I do to prepare for it?

Also people say reach out to people whose practice interests you, if you're not on your team. Given that my scheme will be one week and virtual, could I do this before the scheme actually starts or should I wait until then?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica - I was wondering what firms are looking for in non-law graduates during (virtual) vacation schemes?

A lot fo the advice I found online are about researching the firm/being proactive, but I was wondering what is expected of me regarding the actual work? Could I be productive without legal knowledge, and what could I do to prepare for it?

Also people say reach out to people whose practice interests you, if you're not on your team. Given that my scheme will be one week and virtual, could I do this before the scheme actually starts or should I wait until then?
    In many ways it won’t be any different to a law student. The expectations of technical legal knowledge will be slightly different but considering law students are often taken on before they have done the LPC, then there isn’t always high expectations of that knowledge anyway.

It’s very difficult to say about the expectations on the work you will be doing as this varies massively between firms and will also depend on the department you are working in. Ultimately they will be looking for you to be interested in the work, show a willingness to give things a go, ensure the work you deliver is through and considered.

Your line manager will be aware you aren’t a law graduate/at a trainee level and will ensure the tasks they give you will be of a level you could complete with a little support.

I would wait until your scheme starts and see what your timetable is like for the week. The firm might put things into the schedule that will give you the opportunity to engage with its lawyers.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Holly and Adrian_Healey

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I hope you enjoyed this long bank holiday weekend!

A few months ago, I was interviewed for a paralegal position with a very well known American firm. I am now applying for a direct tc, can I describe the case that they mentioned during the interview?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I hope you enjoyed this long bank holiday weekend!

A few months ago, I was interviewed for a paralegal position with a very well known American firm. I am now applying for a direct tc, can I describe the case that they mentioned during the interview?
    What’s the context of you using this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I don’t think this is good evidence to use to be honest. I have never heard a candidate use what they discussed in an interview to showcase their skills or knowledge. You need something a bit more tangible, and ultimately an interview doesn’t really prove anything where it is subjective and also is not really delivering anything - it’s really just a discussion with no direct outcome of that conversation.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I don’t think this is good evidence to use to be honest. I have never heard a candidate use what they discussed in an interview to showcase their skills or knowledge. You need something a bit more tangible, and ultimately an interview doesn’t really prove anything.
    Yes I understand, thank you very much for your insight

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Happy Friday everyone!

@Jessica Booker do you know why firms ask if you've ever had to resit an exam?
    Because it’s pretty important to them to know you have a good chance of passing exams on the first sitting, given they will be paying tens of thousands of pounds for your GDL/LPC/SQE training.

Reactions: JoeyTr

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I hope you are keeping well!

Could I ask if it is inappropriate to ask to attend a virtual interview rather than a face-to-face interview? I have received an invitation to attend a face-to-face interview for an entry level job. However, some of my family members are clinically vulnerable and I am also still waiting for my turn to be vaccinated. So, I am quite apprehensive about attending a face-to-face one. Thank you in advance.
    Of course - not a problem at all. I would try to call them so you can explain over the phone. Sometimes tone can account for lot in these situations and you can often get a quicker answer too.

I think most organisations will be ok with this and will accommodate it, especially if it is a first

You might just want to be prepared for what your answer might be if they ask something along the lines of “if you got the job, would you be able to travel into the office or would there still be concerns for your family or you if you are not yet vaccinated?”. If they have a requirement for you to come into the office in some capacity, they obviously may be concerned about your ability to do this.

Eliza9999

Jun 27, 2019
    I've just had my training contract written offer come through and I'm scared of signing onto it before double-checking everything. Is there anything that I need to look out for in my training contract offer, for example, my contract doesn't have sick leave, should it? How negotiable are the training contract terms? Should I be worried about anything in particular or should it be ok for me to read over and sign as the law firm is investing a lot into my development so they want to ensure that I am getting the best offer possible. Any tips would be especially helpful @Jessica Booker

Reactions: djqb

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've just had my training contract written offer come through and I'm scared of signing onto it before double-checking everything. Is there anything that I need to look out for in my training contract offer, for example, my contract doesn't have sick leave, should it? How negotiable are the training contract terms? Should I be worried about anything in particular or should it be ok for me to read over and sign as the law firm is investing a lot into my development so they want to ensure that I am getting the best offer possible. Any tips would be especially helpful @Jessica Booker
    You can’t have an employment contract without sick leave of some form. There is something called statutory sick leave which can be paid up to 28 weeks that all employees across the UK are entitled to. It is a standard that all UK employees are entitled to by law.

The terms are you looking to negotiate? It’s unlikely they will be willing to negotiate. It’s a standard set of terms that applies to all employees. To put it into perspective, I have never had anyone negotiate a term in a graduate contract, let alone in law.

I can’t advise on a contract as I am not a lawyer. Just read through it carefully and if there are any terms you are specifically worried about, feel free to PM me or tag me in a post and I can explain why it is in there.

The only terms I can think of as being ones to check are:

- if you haven’t done the GDL/LPC, what are the firm’s policy if you fail (are you allowed to resit)?

- what are the repayment terms if you withdraw from or don’t complete your training contract? Do you have to pay the firm back and in what capacity?

- big one to consider if you are on a SQE training contract will be if you have a probation period and if so what is it (typically 3-6 months)? That didn’t really exist in the old training contract system.

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen and Holly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica - due to personal reasons I may have to book a hotel for an upcoming TC interview which is virtual - would a firm be willing to reimburse me for this at all? Thank you
    You’ll need to speak to the firm but it is a possibility - I have heard firms doing something similar.

They may suggest not booking a hotel but rather seeing if you can access a co-working space or something similar (as you’ll only need a room for a day) and typically hotels won’t work as you have to check out in the morning/can’t access a room until the late afternoon.

Reactions: LawGrad19
    D

Deleted member 8227

Hi Jessica,
    I have just received a job offer to do while I search for a TC however, I was wondering if I could PM you to see how the role would be viewed from a grad rec perspective?
    Thanks

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.