TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope you are having a great Friday!

What individuals fall within the parameters of a non-academic referee? Is a supervisor (from a previous scheme) fine?
Yes, although the supervisor is unlikely to be able to provide you with a reference - these things typically have to go through HR in law firms, so you should check with them that they are able and happy to provide you with the reference first.

Basically anyone who can vouch for your character will be fine, especially if they are in a recognised and respected profession.

Reactions: Dwight

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Yes, although the supervisor is unlikely to be able to provide you with a reference - these things typically have to go through HR in law firms, so you should check with them that they are able and happy to provide you with the reference first.

Basically anyone who can vouch for your character will be fine, especially if they are in a recognised and respected profession.
Thanks for your response.

When you say - 'Basically anyone who can vouch for your character will be fine, especially if they are in a recognised and respected profession' - does that then mean I can include, for example, my (personal) dentist?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for your response.

When you say - 'Basically anyone who can vouch for your character will be fine, especially if they are in a recognised and respected profession' - does that then mean I can include, for example, my (personal) dentist?
Technically yes, but you should choose someone who can vouch for you. It’s fine if your dentists knows you beyond you being their client.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, is it still worth applying to a firm where we have attended almost no online events that they had conducted in the past month or two.

Secondly, what if you signed up for them and still didn't show up, do our chances get worse then?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, is it still worth applying to a firm where we have attended almost no online events that they had conducted in the past month or two.

Secondly, what if you signed up for them and still didn't show up, do our chances get worse then?

Thanks in advance.
Yes - you aren’t expected to attend events and they are unlikely to cross reference the data between events anyway, so i wouldn’t worry if you didn’t register or didn’t turn up.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, if an application form asks you "Tell us about you (the good and the not so good)." and the word limit is 300 words, should the answer be split 50/50 to speak about my strengths and weaknesses? Thanks
I’d try to make sure it is balanced to ensure it answers the question, but I don’t think it needs to be 50/50. Remember with your weaknesses to frame them more as development points and show how you are trying to develop them though.

Reactions: corplaw0702

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was just filling out the Freshfields' Non Law Workshop application and they ask for something called "Education Level (Achieved)" . I am in my final year of law student doing a 5 year integrated B.A.LL.B.(Hons.) and in the drop down menu, it's only showing me titles of full fledged degrees. The box doesn't have the scope to write that I'm in my final year right now. What should I do?

I see "A-levels" there, should I mark it?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi can you discuss ESG (environmental social governance) as a commercial news story affecting a firm and then go into detail about how it affects one or mroe of their specific sectors? it isnt a legal trend as you said but can it be discussed as a commercial news story anyways? thank you.
Yes - it is quite a common commercial story for people to talk about. Given this, try to find a specific story within it, rather than talking about it as a general trend. ESG is a very broad topic and finding a more specific story within it is likely to make your application more unique/stand out from the crowd.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was just filling out the Freshfields' Non Law Workshop application and they ask for something called "Education Level (Achieved)" . I am in my final year of law student doing a 5 year integrated B.A.LL.B.(Hons.) and in the drop down menu, it's only showing me titles of full fledged degrees. The box doesn't have the scope to write that I'm in my final year right now. What should I do?

I see "A-levels" there, should I mark it?

Thanks in advance.
Is it possible that their workshop is only for graduates?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
They are hosting 2 workshops, one is for graduates and the other one is called the Non-law workshop.

"The event is open to undergraduate students who are studying non-law degree disciplines." - an excerpt from the website
I’d just choose it as if you have completed your degree then. I’d probably check with the firm as to whether they consider you a non law student though.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
Jul 17, 2020
Hi Jessica!

I'm a bit stumped on the wording of this TC application question and would love your insight:

In not more than 100 words, please describe one experience from your law firm training contract or mini pupillage or non-legal employment which has either increased your wish to be a solicitor, or has provided you with a valuable insight into legal life.

I'm not sure if the question is asking me to describe a work experience (e.g. a vacation scheme) or a specific experience in the course of work (e.g. a task during a vacation scheme)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I was wondering if it was okay to repeat content in your application form during video interviews more or less word for word?
Personally I would avoid word for word - I would try to find either different examples or try to put a different spin on what you are saying if you are using the same evidence/rationale. There is a significant risk that you come across as one dimensional if your answers are literally like reading your application form aloud.

Mxkry

Legendary Member
Oct 13, 2020
How does graduate recruitment actually review your application? Do they just bin the app if they something they don't like in the 1st question or paragraph or do they look at the application as a whole?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How does graduate recruitment actually review your application? Do they just bin the app if they something they don't like in the 1st question or paragraph or do they look at the application as a whole?
Depends on the firm's approach.

Some review the whole app and will score it across a set criteria (meaning it has to be reviewed in full). Others will just stop reading at the point they know the applicant won't make the cut.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope this message finds you well.

Can I talk about mentoring for the following question: 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you. (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests)'?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope this message finds you well.

Can I talk about mentoring for the following question: 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you. (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests)'?
If you are talking about it as a topic rather than trying to show your skill set developed from mentoring, then yes.

This question is designed to show your knowledge in a topic and ability the write succinctly but informatively about it, rather than show your skill set from the activity/situation.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.