Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! Not Jessica but I thought I would weigh in!

Its absolutely fine to be interested in a department without having worked in that sector before. However, you should avoid just stating that you enjoy Finance/disputes. Try to dig deeper into why you like those departments. i.e. Do you enjoy the technical/fast paced nature of finance / the investigative nature of disputes? Have you done any extra-curricular / work experience where you can draw parallels to the work? You should always try and substantiate your interests :)

Regarding forage schemes, there is definitely a couple of white collar/disputes schemes and banking schemes on the website. If you choose to write about them in your application, make sure to explain what you learnt/enjoyed about them rather than just stating the tasks you did. These scheme could also be really beneficial in substantiating your interest as mentioned above.

Edit - I have linked some of the schemes below :)

Latham Banking - https://www.theforage.com/virtual-i...-&-Watkins-Banking-Virtual-Experience-Program

Latham White Collar - https://www.theforage.com/virtual-i...tkins-White-Collar-Virtual-Experience-Program

Clifford Chance Sustainable Finance - https://www.theforage.com/virtual-i...Sustainable-Finance-Global-Virtual-Internship
Spot on advice - couldn’t really add anything more!

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Overall, I have achieved 73% at university which is a first by the UK standards (correct me if I'm wrong here). I have two more semesters to go and, I don't know if it will increase to 75% or drop down to 70%. Honestly I think it's going to improve but what should my answer be to Linklaters' question that goes something like "Achieved or predicted grade 1/2.1/2.2 "

Can there be serious ramifications if we say that we will get a first and end up graduating with a high 2.1?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Overall, I have achieved 73% at university which is a first by the UK standards (correct me if I'm wrong here). I have two more semesters to go and, I don't know if it will increase to 75% or drop down to 70%. Honestly I think it's going to improve but what should my answer be to Linklaters' question that goes something like "Achieved or predicted grade 1/2.1/2.2 "

Can there be serious ramifications if we say that we will get a first and end up graduating with a high 2.1?

Thanks in advance.
It’s a predicted grade - sometimes predictions are wrong and that’s not an issue. But you should present what you/your academics think is achievable. I don’t think you can base that on one module though.

Your situation is slightly different as your grading system doesn’t work on a 2.2/2.1/1.1 grading scale. Is there are alternative or “other “ option on the form?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
It’s a predicted grade - sometimes predictions are wrong and that’s not an issue. But you should present what you/your academics think is achievable. I don’t think you can base that on one module though.

Your situation is slightly different as your grading system doesn’t work on a 2.2/2.1/1.1 grading scale. Is there are alternative or “other “ option on the form?
There is no other option. And, I still have about 7 modules' exams left so I think they can massively impact my overall score.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 10.17.39 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 10.17.39 AM.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope you had a great weekend!

I have two questions regarding HSF's application questions:

(1) 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you. (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests) (Up to 300 words)'

--> Can I talk about mentorship? And more of what I am trying to get to: would a recruiter like to hear about my passion of mentoring?

(2) What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role? (Up to 300 words)

-->By 'role', should I assume trainee solicitor (i.e. not just a general commercial solicitor)? That way I could focus more on the skills required of a successful city trainee, and the tasks more typical for a trainee.

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope you had a great weekend!

I have two questions regarding HSF's application questions:

(1) 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you. (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests) (Up to 300 words)'

--> Can I talk about mentorship? And more of what I am trying to get to: would a recruiter like to hear about my passion of mentoring?

(2) What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role? (Up to 300 words)

-->By 'role', should I assume trainee solicitor (i.e. not just a general commercial solicitor)? That way I could focus more on the skills required of a successful city trainee, and the tasks more typical for a trainee.

Thank you.

1) Make sure it is something that you are showing your knowledge of rather than trying to show a skill. If you can

2) Yes - make the assumption of a junior lawyer (vac scheme student/trainee - depending on what you are applying to)
@Jessica Booker could you please answer this. Thanks.
I would use your average from last year as a predictor of your grade. You technically don’t have a 1.1/2.1/2.2 grading system, so I would just choose a 2.1 anyway.

Reactions: Dwight

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
1) Make sure it is something that you are showing your knowledge of rather than trying to show a skill. If you can

2) Yes - make the assumption of a junior lawyer (vac scheme student/trainee - depending on what you are applying to)

I would use your average from last year as a predictor of your grade. You technically don’t have a 1.1/2.1/2.2 grading system, so I would just choose a 2.1 anyway.
Thank you @Jessica Booker Just one last follow up question, please? If we write 2.1 as our predicted grade and ultimately get either a first or a 2.1, it doesn't really matter, right? I mean if we are invited to the AC then our grades stop mattering from that moment, right? The only catch here would be that we'd be required to get an overall 2.1 in our degree otherwise they could revoke our offer. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks in advance.

Bonolaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker, there is a friend on the forum who is having trouble getting feedback apparently from a Direct TC assessment day. I think I remember this happening to others last cycle but can't find the conversations or your advice at the time for her, but I thought it centred around something that could be requested away from the firm concerned, if that makes sense. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Reactions: George.E.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi, there is a friend on the forum who is having trouble getting feedback apparently from a Direct TC assessment day. I think I remember this happening to others last cycle but can't find the conversations or your advice at the time for her, but I thought it centred around something that could be requested away from the firm concerned, if that makes sense. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Your friend could use a subject access request to request their feedback if the firm isn't cooperating?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, there is a friend on the forum who is having trouble getting feedback apparently from a Direct TC assessment day. I think I remember this happening to others last cycle but can't find the conversations or your advice at the time for her, but I thought it centred around something that could be requested away from the firm concerned, if that makes sense. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    You might want to see my post here on the same topic - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....l-discussion-thread-2021-22-1.4200/post-88521

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Thank you @Jessica Booker Just one last follow up question, please? If we write 2.1 as our predicted grade and ultimately get either a first or a 2.1, it doesn't really matter, right? I mean if we are invited to the AC then our grades stop mattering from that moment, right? The only catch here would be that we'd be required to get an overall 2.1 in our degree otherwise they could revoke our offer. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks in advance.
    Hello @Jessica Booker I think you might have missed this. Could you please reply to it.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker I think you might have missed this. Could you please reply to it.

Thanks.
    Things are pretty for me busy outside of work at the moment and so I can’t always reply to posts as quickly as I would like - please try to be patient with me.

It is really not an issue what you have suggested though. Grades obviously still matter, but a predicted grade always is only that and sometimes that prediction will be wrong. Firms understand that but you should try to get the strongest grades possible. It isn’t unknown for a firm to not offer because someone’s subsequent grades are not as strong as the earlier grades they had put on an application.

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Things are pretty for me busy outside of work at the moment and so I can’t always reply to posts as quickly as I would like - please try to be patient with me.

It is really not an issue what you have suggested though. Grades obviously still matter, but a predicted grade always is only that and sometimes that prediction will be wrong. Firms understand that but you should try to get the strongest grades possible. It isn’t unknown for a firm to not offer because someone’s subsequent grades are not as strong as the earlier grades they had put on an application.
    Hi Jessica,
    I am extremely sorry for interrupting.

I wanted to confirm my understanding of what you said here“It isn’t unknown for a firm to not offer because someone’s subsequent grades are not as strong as the earlier grades they had put on an application.”

Therefore, I wanted to give an example below to see if I understood what you mentioned properly.

Candidate A got a first in his first year and landed a vac scheme with City Law firm X. He converted his vac scheme to a TC offer. He significantly underperformed in his final year and got a low 2.1 for his degree classification. Would City Law firm X withdraw their TC offer from Candidate A?

Is my understanding correct. If that is the case I am definitely not going to send off my vacation scheme applications until I receive my final degree result.

Regards,
    Rij

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019

Thank you so much and my apologies. I genuinely thought that you might have missed seeing my message altogether.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    I am extremely sorry for interrupting.

I wanted to confirm my understanding of what you said here“It isn’t unknown for a firm to not offer because someone’s subsequent grades are not as strong as the earlier grades they had put on an application.”

Therefore, I wanted to give an example below to see if I understood what you mentioned properly.

Candidate A got a first in his first year and landed a vac scheme with City Law firm X. He converted his vac scheme to a TC offer. He significantly underperformed in his final year and got a low 2.1 for his degree classification. Would City Law firm X withdraw their TC offer from Candidate A?

Is my understanding correct. If that is the case I am definitely not going to send off my vacation scheme applications until I receive my final degree result.

Regards,
    Rij
    Any decision on whether to offer based on grades would be made at the point of offer - not afterwards. The only reason they would withdraw an offer is if you were not able to meet the academic requirements (eg a 2.1 at undergraduate, pass or a certain grade in the SQE/LPC etc).

It would be more if your grades dropped between being offered a VS and before the TC conversion process.

A low 2.1 is still a 2.1 and will be sufficient for some firms. But it isn’t unknown for firms to weigh up vac scheme performances and consider the grades achieved that summer alongside other evidence. It’s rarely used solely to make a decision but may influence a decision nonetheless

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Any decision on whether to offer based on grades would be made at the point of offer - not afterwards. The only reason they would withdraw an offer is if you were not able to meet the academic requirements (eg a 2.1 at undergraduate, pass or a certain grade in the SQE/LPC etc).

It would be more if your grades dropped between being offered a VS and before the TC conversion process.

A low 2.1 is still a 2.1 and will be sufficient for some firms. But it isn’t unknown for firms to weigh up vac scheme performances and consider the grades achieved that summer alongside other evidence. It’s rarely used solely to make a decision but may influence a decision nonetheless
    I completely understand what you mean.
    Many thanks for clarifying, it for me.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.