Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
I don't think you are too late. I'll bet they haven't received half of their applications yet.
The thing is today is not too late but drafting my app and having it reviewed will take 7-10 days. That is, then, basically the deadline. I would rather not take the risk and send my app in the best form early for the summer vs/TC (same deadline: 15/12/21). Last year, I applied to a firm a couple of days before the deadline and got an email saying, in essence, that I am rejected because they couldn't be bothered to read my app (as all spaces were filled).

Edit: I also have sent some winter apps and don't want to overload myself.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The thing is today is not too late but drafting my app and having it reviewed will take 7-10 days. That is, then, basically the deadline. I would rather not take the risk and send my app in the best form early for the summer vs/TC (same deadline: 15/12/21). Last year, I applied to a firm a couple of days before the deadline and got an email saying, in essence, that I am rejected because they couldn't be bothered to read my app (as all spaces were filled).

Edit: I also have sent some winter apps and don't want to overload myself.
Then it sounds like applying for a direct TC is the best approach if you could get other offers this winter.

Reactions: Dwight

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Thanks for your perspective, @Jessica Booker. I just have one follow-up question: do firms tend to place candidates in earlier take-ins? As in, this year firms are likely recruiting for the 2024 intake. However, if I manage to secure a TC this year, what is the chance of pushing it to a 2023 start?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for your perspective, @Jessica Booker. I just have one follow-up question: do firms tend to place candidates in earlier take-ins? As in, this year firms are likely recruiting for the 2024 intake. However, if I manage to secure a TC this year, what is the chance of pushing it to a 2023 start?
There’s no guarantee of it - will be completely down to the individual firm’s circumstances at the time and whether they need to top up earlier intake/don’t have a waiting list already if other applicants who want to start earlier. So it’s impossible to say what the chance is.

At the point of being made an offer, it is something you should speak to the firm about and see what they say the chances are at that specific time.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Forgot to mention yesterday - can you please elaborate on this. What do you mean? As in, if I get winter VS offers I can leverage them for a TC?
No - not necessarily leverage them but you'll have a limited amount of time to accept an offer and commit to it, especially if you want to start your TC earlier. Therefore trying to coordinate any offers at the roughly the same time makes sense, rather than trying to secure TCs after you are already committed to the LPC/SQE with another firm (which is likely to be the case if you wait until the summer).

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
No - not necessarily leverage them but you'll have a limited amount of time to accept an offer and commit to it, especially if you want to start your TC earlier. Therefore trying to coordinate any offers at the roughly the same time makes sense, rather than trying to secure TCs after you are already committed to the LPC/SQE with another firm (which is likely to be the case if you wait until the summer).
Why do you suggest I will get limited time to accept TC offer(s) if I get any? Is it because I am in my final
year? In general, how much time do firms set for candidates to accept/reject a TC?

Btw thanks so much for raising this point. I haven't put much thought into the logistics of things - was so focussed on just securing that offer hahaha.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Why do you suggest I will get limited time to accept TC offer(s) if I get any? Is it because I am in my final
year? In general, how much time do firms set for candidates to accept/reject a TC?

Btw thanks so much for raising this point. I haven't put much thought into the logistics of things - was so focussed on just securing that offer hahaha.
Two reasons - you’ll have 4 weeks to accept a TC and if they sign you up to the LPC/SQE course to start in September, you’ll be committed before the summer is out. Onboarding to the LPC usually starts in July.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was writing my cover letter for Freshfields' Direct TC app and I had a question. I have performed well in a few contests and also have a distance learning diploma in commercial laws. For example, I won the runners' up prize in a Legal Opinion Writing Contest conducted by National Law University, Jodhpur. I know that you might not have heard about the National Law University, Jodhpur but it's probably the fourth-best law school in India. I am aware that almost nobody in the Freshfields' grad rec team will be aware of NLU Jodhpur even existing. Another example would be that I had ranked 12th in a Contract Drafting Contest that had about 140 participants. This contest was conducted by Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL) in association with L&L Partners. For context, even RGNUL is a reputed university and L&L Partners' is a tier-1 full service law firm but again, I'm sure nobody knows all this.

My question is that if I include the full names of the contests and the number of participants and my rank within that cohort, I might end up adding more words that might have little to no impact on the Grad Rec. How should I go about it?

Could you please help me out with this?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was writing my cover letter for Freshfields' Direct TC app and I had a question. I have performed well in a few contests and also have a distance learning diploma in commercial laws. For example, I won the runners' up prize in a Legal Opinion Writing Contest conducted by National Law University, Jodhpur. I know that you might not have heard about the National Law University, Jodhpur but it's probably the fourth-best law school in India. I am aware that almost nobody in the Freshfields' grad rec team will be aware of NLU Jodhpur even existing. Another example would be that I had ranked 12th in a Contract Drafting Contest that had about 140 participants. This contest was conducted by Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL) in association with L&L Partners. For context, even RGNUL is a reputed university and L&L Partners' is a tier-1 full service law firm but again, I'm sure nobody knows all this.

My question is that if I include the full names of the contests and the number of participants and my rank within that cohort, I might end up adding more words that might have little to no impact on the Grad Rec. How should I go about it?

Could you please help me out with this?

Thanks
I wouldn’t worry about naming the sponsors of competitions - it isn’t really relevant. I’d just focus on where you came in the competition and what you gained from the experience.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I wouldn’t worry about naming the sponsors of competitions - it isn’t really relevant. I’d just focus on where you came in the competition and what you gained from the experience.
Ok. Just a follow-up question, please. What about the names of the universities and the name of the diploma/courses (for example diploma in Entrepreneurship and Business Laws)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ok. Just a follow-up question, please. What about the names of the universities and the name of the diploma/courses (for example diploma in Entrepreneurship and Business Laws)
Yes, they should be included. You don’t need to reference the status/prestige of the university though

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I hope you are having a great day.

Applications for the 2021 Sidley Austin Winter Vacation Scheme opened on October 1 and the deadline is October 29. Also, I believe they recruit candidates on a rolling basis (website: 'Applications for vacation schemes are assessed on a rolling basis'). When do you think it is too late to apply for this opportunity? In essence, when do you think it is a good time to apply considering today is October 6. I appreciate that this question is rather quite vague, however I would hate to be rejected on the sole basis that I send a 'late' application.

Thank you.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Not Jessica but in general, the majority of applications are sent off in the week of the deadline, if not the deadline itself. I think if you sent off your app before the 22nd October you would be positioning yourself very well!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I hope you are having a great day.

Applications for the 2021 Sidley Austin Winter Vacation Scheme opened on October 1 and the deadline is October 29. Also, I believe they recruit candidates on a rolling basis (website: 'Applications for vacation schemes are assessed on a rolling basis'). When do you think it is too late to apply for this opportunity? In essence, when do you think it is a good time to apply considering today is October 6. I appreciate that this question is rather quite vague, however I would hate to be rejected on the sole basis that I send a 'late' application.

Thank you.
It’s never too late if you can still apply, but I advise to aim for the first two thirds of an application window when you can. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t apply in the final third.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Good Afternoon @Jessica Booker,

I hope you are having an amazing Friday.

I'm applying to the CC TC and they have a question about, in essence, why a candidate was not offered a TC following a previous VS:

'1. Were you offered a Training Contract following this scheme? -->
2. If your answer to the above question was "no", we would appreciate any detail you feel comfortable providing. Please add N/A if this is not applicable to you.'

Not sure how to approach this question (I've never had to answer one before) - I feel that I don't want to write too much that will push them away, yet I am aware of the importance of being self-aware.

Therefore, I would really appreciate your insight and knowledge concerning this question.

CONTEXT: I did one vs in the summer this year (2021) and subsequently not offered a TC (if it helps and/or is necessary, I am happy to provide more detail via a private message).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Good Afternoon @Jessica Booker,

I hope you are having an amazing Friday.

I'm applying to the CC TC and they have a question about, in essence, why a candidate was not offered a TC following a previous VS:

'1. Were you offered a Training Contract following this scheme? -->
2. If your answer to the above question was "no", we would appreciate any detail you feel comfortable providing. Please add N/A if this is not applicable to you.'

Not sure how to approach this question (I've never had to answer one before) - I feel that I don't want to write too much that will push them away, yet I am aware of the importance of being self-aware.

Therefore, I would really appreciate your insight and knowledge concerning this question.

CONTEXT: I did one vs in the summer this year (2021) and subsequently not offered a TC (if it helps and/or is necessary, I am happy to provide more detail via a private message).
If you were given any feedback as to why you didn't secure a TC with the firm, I would potentially disclose that feedback if I had tangible evidence of what I was doing to improve in that area.

If it was aomerinf more motivationally based, then id try to highlight why that firm wasn't beat suited for me as long as this elements were not present in the turn I was applying to.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was just applying to Freshfields' Non-Law graduate workshop but I just came across this on the same web page, "We hope that our 2021/2022 workshops can be held in person at our new Bishopsgate location, although this will be determined on further guidance from the firm. "

Is there any point in applying given that I won't be able to attend it physically even if I'm offered a place?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was just applying to Freshfields' Non-Law graduate workshop but I just came across this on the same web page, "We hope that our 2021/2022 workshops can be held in person at our new Bishopsgate location, although this will be determined on further guidance from the firm. "

Is there any point in applying given that I won't be able to attend it physically even if I'm offered a place?

Thanks in advance.
I would email the firm and ask how likely it will be in person and then make a judgement call from there. If they say its looking likely, then I would advise to not apply and focus on other opportunities.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.