Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

henryyou

Oct 31, 2021
Hey, I have attended a few CC events in the past and the general theme was that we should always prefer prose over bullet points. Also, for the 600 word question, try and write as much as you can because if you don't utilise the word count it will come across as being lazy - Grad Rec
Thanks for your prompt reply! A follow-up question: for the CC 600-word question, is it acceptable to use a sub-title for each bit of extra-curricular activities or achievements?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Thanks for your prompt reply! A follow-up question: for the CC 600-word question, is it acceptable to use a sub-title for each bit of extra-curricular activities or achievements?
From what I've heard, your ability to write effectively is also tested so your answer should flow effortlessly. Therefore, you should try and avoid segregating the different bits. I know it's easier said than done and I'm struggling with the same.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, hope you are well.

The CC application requires us to write about "extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance" and "work experience". Do you think it is a good idea to give the details of responsibilities in bullet points as we normally do in our standard resume/CV?

Thank you in advance!
Agree with the earlier posts - prose is needed here but just ensure it is concise to allow you to present as many varied experiences as possible.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don't think subtitles are needed and would just be a waste of words (in my opinion). It might be the case if the answer was 1500 words, but at only 600 words clear sections with paragraphing will be sufficient.

miniboucher

Standard Member
Nov 15, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker just wondering, in an interview, a problem I have is how to reply to questions that I just can’t actually answer such as if asked about a specific module I remember nothing about. Is there a particular way you advise responding to such a question instead of saying ‘I am sorry I can’t answer that question ’ 😭

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker just wondering, in an interview, a problem I have is how to reply to questions that I just can’t actually answer such as if asked about a specific module I remember nothing about. Is there a particular way you advise responding to such a question instead of saying ‘I am sorry I can’t answer that question ’ 😭
You should always give the question a go. Even if you can’t remember the specific details of a module, you are likely to remember some of the context/theme, so I’d try to piece them together. If you are really still unsure, then saying something like “in all honesty, this isn’t a module I remember very well, is it possible for me to talk about another module instead”.

miniboucher

Standard Member
Nov 15, 2021
You should always give the question a go. Even if you can’t remember the specific details of a module, you are likely to remember some of the context/theme, so I’d try to piece them together. If you are really still unsure, then saying something like “in all honesty, this isn’t a module I remember very well, is it possible for me to talk about another module instead”.
Thanks!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me if I should write a Forage internship as a future work experience entry? A couple of weeks back Freshfields announced that they're gonna release their Forage scheme and I will 100% do it but can I include that as a future work ex entry in CC's application?

Also, could events like Jake Schogger's commercial awareness workshop be included since technically, such events, just like the milkround events by different firms helped me further my understanding of the world of international commercial law firms and what they want?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me if I should write a Forage internship as a future work experience entry? A couple of weeks back Freshfields announced that they're gonna release their Forage scheme and I will 100% do it but can I include that as a future work ex entry in CC's application?

Also, could events like Jake Schogger's commercial awareness workshop be included since technically, such events, just like the milkround events by different firms helped me further my understanding of the world of international commercial law firms and what they want?

Thanks.
Forage explicitly state that when you complete the programme you should not claim it at work experience.

You also can’t claim it if you haven’t done it, even if you are pretty sure you will do it in the future.

Yes - you can include events/seminars put on by people who are not universities/law firms.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Forage explicitly state that when you complete the programme you should not claim it at work experience.

You also can’t claim it if you haven’t done it, even if you are pretty sure you will do it in the future.

Yes - you can include events/seminars put on by people who are not universities/law firms.
Actually, I'm aware of Forage's policy but I've attended sessions by CC in the past where they have mentioned that we can use it for our applications. I even emailed the firm for a definite yes or no but I got no response. Even in TCLA's Premium courses, there's a section on application guides that says that Forage schemes should be mentioned since they demonstrate your interest. Could you please tell me what I should do with so much conflicting information?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Actually, I'm aware of Forage's policy but I've attended sessions by CC in the past where they have mentioned that we can use it for our applications. I even emailed the firm for a definite yes or no but I got no response. Even in TCLA's Premium courses, there's a section on application guides that says that Forage schemes should be mentioned since they demonstrate your interest. Could you please tell me what I should do with so much conflicting information?
They should be mentioned, just not in work experience sections.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , should virtual events that we signed up for but didn't attend be included? Can they find out if we attended or simply registered and never turned up? It's for CC and my apologies if I have asked this before.

Thanks in advance.
No - if you didn’t attend something you can’t claim it. It’s a bit like saying you obtained a degree from a university you got an offer to study at from but never went to.

If you are applying to the same firm as the event, then yes they could technically cross reference data to see if you attended an event. Whether they will actually do this though is unlikely - they haven’t really got time to do this and even if they did there can be 101 legitimate reasons why someone registers for an event and then doesn’t attend.

• ℹ️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker when mentioning someone (relatively junior) at the firm that I interacted with in a cover letter, is it necessary to mention their designation too?
Not really. It doesn’t really add anything and if they are a trainee, grad rec will know who they are/what their job title is anyway.

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I have an upcoming AC, and one of the questions I have seen people get asked is '' Why are you only now applying to [our] firm''? For context, it is not application/CV blind, and this would be my third round of application cycles, and I haven't applied to the firm before. Reason being - I never thought I was good enough for this firm in terms of academics/experience. What would be your advice in answering this question, whilst making sure I show my genuine interest in the firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I have an upcoming AC, and one of the questions I have seen people get asked is '' Why are you only now applying to [our] firm''? For context, it is not application/CV blind, and this would be my third round of application cycles, and I haven't applied to the firm before. Reason being - I never thought I was good enough for this firm in terms of academics/experience. What would be your advice in answering this question, whilst making sure I show my genuine interest in the firm?
    I think you can be honest here. Explain you are applying now as you feel you are in the strongest position now and very briefly regent with what you have done to get you to that place.

Reactions: syw

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was filling out CC's application and had a small question regarding how I should input my university grades. In the "Education Level" box, there is a drop down menu that has different options ranging from "Bachelors Degree" to "Degree Subjects- Year 1" to "Degree Subjects- Year 5" etc. Could you please tell me, do I select Bachelors degree from the dropdown and list all the modules that I've studied at law school or should I select Degree Subjects- Year 1 and list down just 10 subjects, create another box and select Degree Subjects - Year 2 and then list down 10 subjects and so on and so forth.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 11.40.32 PM.png
      Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 11.40.32 PM.png
      207.6 KB · Views: 7

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was filling out CC's application and had a small question regarding how I should input my university grades. In the "Education Level" box, there is a drop down menu that has different options ranging from "Bachelors Degree" to "Degree Subjects- Year 1" to "Degree Subjects- Year 5" etc. Could you please tell me, do I select Bachelors degree from the dropdown and list all the modules that I've studied at law school or should I select Degree Subjects- Year 1 and list down just 10 subjects, create another box and select Degree Subjects - Year 2 and then list down 10 subjects and so on and so forth.

Thanks in advance.
    The latter approach would be most appropriate.

• ℹ️

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    The latter approach would be most appropriate.
    Thank you so much. Also, for class 10 and class 12- I have two options, I can either mark both of them as "Others", or I can mark the former as "O-levels" and the latter as "A-levels". I know that I had asked you this fairly recently but don't you think marking "Others" for both classes would confuse the grad rec team as to what class I'm referring to?

Thanks in advance.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.