Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I have a question regarding A&O's Fuse. Is it appropriate to say that lawyers use technology solutions by Fuse? I understand that individual companies create the technology (also in collaboration with A&O lawyers). I'm not sure if it is accurate to say that the solutions are 'by' Fuse. Would appreciate your advice. Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I have a question regarding A&O's Fuse. Is it appropriate to say that lawyers use technology solutions by Fuse? I understand that individual companies create the technology (also in collaboration with A&O lawyers). I'm not sure if it is accurate to say that the solutions are 'by' Fuse. Would appreciate your advice. Thank you
I am probably not the best person to advise on this as I don't know the specifics of Fuse. Tagging in @James Carrabino , @George Maxwell and @AvniD who are probably much more clued up on this than me (and that's because my knowledge level is practically 0 😬)

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
I am probably not the best person to advise on this as I don't know the specifics of Fuse. Tagging in @James Carrabino , @George Maxwell and @AvniD who are probably much more clued up on this than me (and that's because my knowledge level is practically 0 😬)
Ohh haha sorry about that. Thanks a lot Jessica :) Hope they can help me with that :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ohh haha sorry about that. Thanks a lot Jessica :) Hope they can help me with that :)
Haha - no reason to apologise! The rest of the Community Managers are far more likely to have some views on this and it’s very easy for us all to contribute to the conversation!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
From their website (https://www.allenovery.com/en-gb/gl...urturing-a-culture-of-legal-tech-innovation)-

Work has also been generated for A&O Consulting, supporting clients with the tech transformation of in-house legal operations.

Many Fuse companies are developing technology that is already changing the way A&O lawyers work.

Having A&O as your customer is quite transformative for the tech companies,” says Jonathan, “not least because it encourages others to take them seriously.”

A&O lawyers also get to participate in the development process. Shruti says: “We don’t just reject tech solutions that come into Fuse but don’t quite hit the mark. Normally, if lawyers don’t like a tool, they just don’t use it. With Fuse, the companies get to participate in conversations with our lawyers, and make changes in response.

I think it's safe to assume that A&O do utilise solutions developed by Fuse, along with co-creating and developing them. I hope this helps? 😇

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, for the WG, is it true that sometimes the cut-off can be as low as 20 percentile? Also, for Linklaters, I just read a post on the forum wherein the person had made it to the AC with just a 28 percentile score in the WG test.

I scored 28/40 in the Linklaters WG today and got 33 percentile. I am aware that this is not a good result at all so should I already expect a PFO?

Thanks.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
From their website (https://www.allenovery.com/en-gb/gl...urturing-a-culture-of-legal-tech-innovation)-

Work has also been generated for A&O Consulting, supporting clients with the tech transformation of in-house legal operations.

Many Fuse companies are developing technology that is already changing the way A&O lawyers work.

Having A&O as your customer is quite transformative for the tech companies,” says Jonathan, “not least because it encourages others to take them seriously.”

A&O lawyers also get to participate in the development process. Shruti says: “We don’t just reject tech solutions that come into Fuse but don’t quite hit the mark. Normally, if lawyers don’t like a tool, they just don’t use it. With Fuse, the companies get to participate in conversations with our lawyers, and make changes in response.

I think it's safe to assume that A&O do utilise solutions developed by Fuse, along with co-creating and developing them. I hope this helps? 😇
Thats super helpful! Thank you :)

• Love
Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, for the WG, is it true that sometimes the cut-off can be as low as 20 percentile? Also, for Linklaters, I just read a post on the forum wherein the person had made it to the AC with just a 28 percentile score in the WG test.

I scored 28/40 in the Linklaters WG today and got 33 percentile. I am aware that this is not a good result at all so should I already expect a PFO?

Thanks.
Yes, that is correct.

The thing to stress is that a percentile does not relate to how many questions you get right. All it means is where you rank when compared to a group of other people who have completed the same assessment. For instance, you could do one test and be compared to different groups. If you were compared against primary school children your percentile ranking is likely to be very high, while if you were ranked against partners in law firms your percentile ranking is likely to be low.

What you rarely know from the tests, even if you get your percentile ranking from them, is who you have been compared against.

If a previous candidate has made it to AC with a 28 percentile score, I don't think you can assume that a 33 percentile score (which is higher) will result in a PFO.

• 🤝
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Yes, that is correct.

The thing to stress is that a percentile does not relate to how many questions you get right. All it means is where you rank when compared to a group of other people who have completed the same assessment. For instance, you could do one test and be compared to different groups. If you were compared against primary school children your percentile ranking is likely to be very high, while if you were ranked against partners in law firms your percentile ranking is likely to be low.

What you rarely know from the tests, even if you get your percentile ranking from them, is who you have been compared against.

If a previous candidate has made it to AC with a 28 percentile score, I don't think you can assume that a 33 percentile score (which is higher) will result in a PFO.
Thank you so much, Jessica. If it helps, my norm group was called "Linklaters Overall". I know there is no point in stressing over it now but does this norm group refer to all the applicants who have taken the WG this year/cycle or is there more to it?

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much, Jessica. If it helps, my norm group was called "Linklaters Overall". I know there is no point in stressing over it now but does this norm group refer to all the applicants who have taken the WG this year/cycle or is there more to it?

Thanks.
I suspect it is an applicant pool (most likely to be a previous year’s pool) but it is a vague term. It could easily be Linklaters employees for instance.

I don’t think it’s worthwhile stressing about though. You know someone has got through to AC with a lower percentile score than you, and so it is unlikely a decision is going to be made on that alone.

• 🤝
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020

Thanks.
Hi,
would you mind sharing how you got you Linklaters WG results? Thank you in advance :)

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope this message finds you well.

I have two question about referees:

(1) My academic one is a prof, but they also do a million other things. Therefore, what should I put in the 'position' section? Should I put the most credible positions?

(2) With regards to my personal tutor, a certain app asks for 'Postal Address' (compulsory section) but it would be rather awkward to ask for this? I mean it is literally where they live. What should I put? Re academic tutor, I just put a uni building.

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope this message finds you well.

I have two question about referees:

(1) My academic one is a prof, but they also do a million other things. Therefore, what should I put in the 'position' section? Should I put the most credible positions?

(2) With regards to my personal tutor, a certain app asks for 'Postal Address' (compulsory section) but it would be rather awkward to ask for this? I mean it is literally where they live. What should I put? Re academic tutor, I just put a uni building.

Thank you.
(1) it doesn’t really matter - but I would just go with how they put their job title in emails or on the university website.

(2) you don’t need to ask for their personal address - they have a work address at the university (usually the faculty building). This again might be on their signature on their emails though. If it is not getting it addressed to the main faculty office address in their name will be the most appropriate details.

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker, thank you for taking your time to answer our questions. I would like to ask, what is the normal waiting time for graduate recruitment to respond. For instance, I have submitted an application to a firm in early November, and I will be advised whether I will progress to the online test stage. Since it has already been 3+ weeks, should I assume that I am unsuccessful? Because when I go online I see people usually get their invites within 1-2 weeks. Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, thank you for taking your time to answer our questions. I would like to ask, what is the normal waiting time for graduate recruitment to respond. For instance, I have submitted an application to a firm in early November, and I will be advised whether I will progress to the online test stage. Since it has already been 3+ weeks, should I assume that I am unsuccessful? Because when I go online I see people usually get their invites within 1-2 weeks. Thanks.
It will vary too much for me to give you any clarity on this, unfortunately. There are many reasons why you might hear back later than others. However, I don't think you should assume you have been unsuccessful just because you haven't heard back.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.