Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you. Just a follow-up question please, what should we do if the firm hasn't won any award recently but is still market-leading in that particular practice area? Is it okay to reference an award from 2017/18 or should we not talk awards if the firm hasn't won anything recently and simply say "as evidence from its Band-1 rating by Chambers and Partners"

Thanks.
I’ll be frank - a lot of awards are a load of rubbish, and often heavily influenced by how many tables they booked for the awards ceremony and how good they are at writing a submission.

Something like the Chambers ranking is a far more reliable source of their capabilities anyway.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hello @Jessica Booker.

Would an explicit link to the firm in the work experience section of the application form make the application stronger (or is it redundant)?
For example, "I worked at X ... Learnt Y ... This will be useful at [the firm I'm applying for]"
Hi @Casual,

I know that @Jessica Booker has already touched on this, but I thought that I would say, from the way you have phrased "this will be useful at X" is not adding anything at all to the answer.

You want each sentence in an application to tell the recruiter/reviewer something new or interesting. This sentence seems redundant in this instance (other than perhaps that you have not just copied and pasted your form with no edits). It is implied that (you think) Y skill will be useful at X firm, as you are writing this in your application to X. So I would use those words elsewhere if I were you.

Hope that helps 👾
Hi @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, where can we read about the latest awards that a firm has won with respect to practice area strengths and other initiatives also? Is there a website that consolidates a firm's achievements?

Thanks.
Hi @futuretraineesolicitor!

Just to add to Jessica's advice, looking at the firm's LinkedIn page is sometimes useful too. Firm websites do not always get updated regularly.

I tried, largely, to steer clear of mentioning this sort of thing and stuck to C&Ps rankings. The Legal 500 is also useful in my experience too.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi @Casual,

I know that @Jessica Booker has already touched on this, but I thought that I would say, from the way you have phrased "this will be useful at X" is not adding anything at all to the answer.

You want each sentence in an application to tell the recruiter/reviewer something new or interesting. This sentence seems redundant in this instance (other than perhaps that you have not just copied and pasted your form with no edits). It is implied that (you think) Y skill will be useful at X firm, as you are writing this in your application to X. So I would use those words elsewhere if I were you.

Hope that helps 👾

Hi @futuretraineesolicitor!

Just to add to Jessica's advice, looking at the firm's LinkedIn page is sometimes useful too. Firm websites do not always get updated regularly.

I tried, largely, to steer clear of mentioning this sort of thing and stuck to C&Ps rankings. The Legal 500 is also useful in my experience too.
Thanks for your response, George.

Reactions: George Maxwell

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker, hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me,

Firstly, would it be okay to make points related to agile working initiatives in an interview? Or could it be perceived negatively since it kind of shows that we are already looking to skip office?

Secondly, if there are stories around agile working policies that firms have implemented that came into effect way back before Covid-19 happened, can we use this piece of information to support our "Why this firm" answer. Because it is really easy to give flexible working options post-Covid but doing it when no one else was doing it is quite nice.

Thirdly, what is the general norm for answering questions like "Why this firm"? Practice area strengths and training are probably the more ambitious reasons but do you think, a reason like the one that I've mentioned above could be perceived as weak in comparison to the more "serious ones" like practice area strengths and training?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker, hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me,

Firstly, would it be okay to make points related to agile working initiatives in an interview? Or could it be perceived negatively since it kind of shows that we are already looking to skip office?

Secondly, if there are stories around agile working policies that firms have implemented that came into effect way back before Covid-19 happened, can we use this piece of information to support our "Why this firm" answer. Because it is really easy to give flexible working options post-Covid but doing it when no one else was doing it is quite nice.

Thirdly, what is the general norm for answering questions like "Why this firm"? Practice area strengths and training are probably the more ambitious reasons but do you think, a reason like the one that I've mentioned above could be perceived as weak in comparison to the more "serious ones" like practice area strengths and training?

Thanks in advance.
1) generally it’s fine to talk about it - it’s going to be part of any working life going forward. But I think it’s really depends what you are saying and why you are saying it.

2) yes - that is fine

3) There isn’t a general norm. It’s really for each individual to show the combination of factors that are relevant to them. Those factors will vary massively between candidates and between firms.

But it would be slightly strange if there isn’t a balance between “why the work this firm offers” and “why is this the right working environment”. Without both of these elements I don’t think you really answer “why the firm” thoroughly.

• ℹ️

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
1) generally it’s fine to talk about it - it’s going to be part of any working life going forward. But I think it’s really depends what you are saying and why you are saying it.

2) yes - that is fine

3) There isn’t a general norm. It’s really for each individual to show the combination of factors that are relevant to them. Those factors will vary massively between candidates and between firms.

But it would be slightly strange if there isn’t a balance between “why the work this firm offers” and “why is this the right working environment”. Without both of these elements I don’t think you really answer “why the firm” thoroughly.
Thank you for your answer. Just a follow-up, please. Would it make sense for us to include initiatives or talk about things done by their overseas offices? I mean, if we want to make a statement that we like what the firm has done for its employees, do those things have to be London specific or can they pertain to any office that they have?

Thanks again.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your answer. Just a follow-up, please. Would it make sense for us to include initiatives or talk about things done by their overseas offices? I mean, if we want to make a statement that we like what the firm has done for its employees, do those things have to be London specific or can they pertain to any office that they have?

Thanks again.
It really depends on context. If you are saying it is something that specifically made you apply to the firm, then you have to tread carefully if it doesn’t apply to the location you are applying to.

• ℹ️

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker! Previously, I think you have mentioned that we should generally avoid adhering to the STAR structure in cover letters. However, I am a little confused, and was wondering whether it is sufficient to structure the 'why you' section as just "I have had X experience, therefore I have Y skills," or is it still necessary to provide specific examples of when you have evidenced such skills during that experience? (There is no word limit for this particular cover letter)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker! Previously, I think you have mentioned that we should generally avoid adhering to the STAR structure in cover letters. However, I am a little confused, and was wondering whether it is sufficient to structure the 'why you' section as just "I have had X experience, therefore I have Y skills," or is it still necessary to provide specific examples of when you have evidenced such skills during that experience? (There is no word limit for this particular cover letter)
Yes - that is right. STAR is not appropriate for cover letters. STAR should only be used for competency questions that are asking you to pull upon a specific example of a specific skill.

You'll need to be a bit more specific rather than just saying X experience translate to Y skills. Try to drill down to the specifics of how you developed those skills rather than just claiming that they did.

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
Yes - that is right. STAR is not appropriate for cover letters. STAR should only be used for competency questions that are asking you to pull upon a specific example of a specific skill.

You'll need to be a bit more specific rather than just saying X experience translate to Y skills. Try to drill down to the specifics of how you developed those skills rather than just claiming that they did.
I see, thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I recently attended an open day and the graduate recruiter stated that I could put their name on my application. The section also asks for the relationship and I am not sure what to write. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you :)
Just something as simple as "I met Joe Bloggs at the December 2021 Open Day" will be sufficient.

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, when do pre-employment screening checks usually take place? It is normally just before a TC starts or closer to the offer being made?
It can depend by the firm but typically it will be around 4-6 months before starting a TC as they have to check you haven't done anything you shouldn't in the period between being offered and starting. With 2-3 years potentially between that time, it makes sense for it to be closer to the time of your start date, but I do know some firms that do it pre-law school (GDL/LPC/SQE) just in case there are any issues with your checks before they spend a load of money on training you.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    It can depend by the firm but typically it will be around 4-6 months before starting a TC as they have to check you haven't done anything you shouldn't in the period between being offered and starting. With 2-3 years potentially between that time, it makes sense for it to be closer to the time of your start date, but I do know some firms that do it pre-law school (GDL/LPC/SQE) just in case there are any issues with your checks before they spend a load of money on training you.
    Thank you, that's helpful. Would they typically reach out to my current employer while still employed or is there some sensitivity around that (especially given that I'm no where near giving my notice yet, although they wouldn't know that)?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please help me with something WG related. I just got an email from CC which is basically a link to their WG test. It says "The test is timed and will end automatically regardless of whether you have completed all the questions. We strongly advise that you take the test in an environment where you can concentrate and are unlikely to be disturbed. Though the test is not supervised we trust that you will complete it with integrity. We do carry out random re-tests. "

1: Do you know how much time they give?

2: What do they mean by "random re-tests?"

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you, that's helpful. Would they typically reach out to my current employer while still employed or is there some sensitivity around that (especially given that I'm no where near giving my notice yet, although they wouldn't know that)?
    They will have to contact you to let you know they will be contacting people and you'll have to sign something to say it is ok for them to do it, so you should know when they are speaking to people. However it is very common for references to be requested from people who are still in employment, and so if this presents an issue you speak to the firm at that point and ask them to only contact the organisation once you have handed in your notice. That is why they will contact you. They will also do this to get the relevant contact details from you for all your points of contact - so you will know about it before anyone else does.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen and Kubed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please help me with something WG related. I just got an email from CC which is basically a link to their WG test. It says "The test is timed and will end automatically regardless of whether you have completed all the questions. We strongly advise that you take the test in an environment where you can concentrate and are unlikely to be disturbed. Though the test is not supervised we trust that you will complete it with integrity. We do carry out random re-tests. "

Thanks.
    1) no - unfortunately, I don't know - I would post in one of the main forums to see if someone who has recently taken the assessment can provide some detail

2) It is very common for organisations to do random re-testing for assessments like psychometric tests - basically anything where you ultimately could get someone else to sit it for you and the firm wouldn't know any different. This is usually done in person at the interview/assessment centre stage so they know it is you taking the test. The way the tests are designed you can then pick out whether there is a strong probability that the person hasn't taken the previous test. I have done this a fair amount in my career (not just in law firms) and have not offered someone where their test results were ultimately very different.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

Thanks.
    I believe it's a 30-minute test. As for random re-tests- I think it just means that they may choose to randomly test their candidates, most likely at the AC stage I'm guessing, to ensure that the WGs have been taken without external help or cheating. This isn't to say that you can't have your own notes to refer to though!

• 🤝

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.