Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Bit of a silly question but when asked your 'grade', do you say the classification or actual number? Or the classification with the number in brackets?
It really depends on the context. Can you provide more detail as to how this fits into an application (eg CV, online application form, what other information you are providing)?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I have an AC coming up in late January and I'm currently doing my interview prep. I've got a list of questions that the firm has asked in the past and I'm planning my answers to those and other questions that may come up.

As a career changer, I've worked in a few jobs but managed to do a lot of stuff in those careers. I know that giving a breadth of examples is important so, do you have any guidance or do's/don'ts on using a work experience for multiple competencies?

For example, I worked as an analyst for 1.5 years. I've used this experience as an answer to teamwork, conflict, and persuading seniors questions. Each answer is on a different situation or project I worked on. Do you think this is okay or too excessive?

Another question I had is, how many answers would you recommend candidates prepare to the same competency question (in case the answer the candidate had prepared was used in response to another question)?

Thanks!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I have an AC coming up in late January and I'm currently doing my interview prep. I've got a list of questions that the firm has asked in the past and I'm planning my answers to those and other questions that may come up.

As a career changer, I've worked in a few jobs but managed to do a lot of stuff in those careers. I know that giving a breadth of examples is important so, do you have any guidance or do's/don'ts on using a work experience for multiple competencies?

For example, I worked as an analyst for 1.5 years. I've used this experience as an answer to teamwork, conflict, and persuading seniors questions. Each answer is on a different situation or project I worked on. Do you think this is okay or too excessive?

Another question I had is, how many answers would you recommend candidates prepare to the same competency question (in case the answer the candidate had prepared was used in response to another question)?

Thanks!
Hi @SLKEJRWOI97,

I am sure @Jessica Booker will have much more extensive insight, but I can answer your last question from my own experience. I have seen some firms suggest having two answers to the same competency question. I have found that I have almost never needed more than one answer to each competency question, although having prepared two came in handy on a couple occasions when I was asked some unexpectedly similar questions. For full disclosure, I heard a nightmare story of a candidate being asked for an example of a time they showed teamwork and after they answered, they were asked 'How about another example?' and after they answered that they were asked 'How about another example?' I am not sure which firm that was and I have never experienced anything like that myself. I would say that two is plenty on the whole!

Also, to answer your previous question I think it is fine if your analyst role includes multiple competency answers although it would be good to have some other things to talk about as well since ultimately the interviewer will want to get to know about you. I probably would not use the analyst role for more than three answers but @Jessica Booker may have a different opinion on this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @SLKEJRWOI97,

I am sure @Jessica Booker will have much more extensive insight, but I can answer your last question from my own experience. I have seen some firms suggest having two answers to the same competency question. I have found that I have almost never needed more than one answer to each competency question, although having prepared two came in handy on a couple occasions when I was asked some unexpectedly similar questions. For full disclosure, I heard a nightmare story of a candidate being asked for an example of a time they showed teamwork and after they answered, they were asked 'How about another example?' and after they answered that they were asked 'How about another example?' I am not sure which firm that was and I have never experienced anything like that myself. I would say that two is plenty on the whole!

Also, to answer your previous question I think it is fine if your analyst role includes multiple competency answers although it would be good to have some other things to talk about as well since ultimately the interviewer will want to get to know about you. I probably would not use the analyst role for more than three answers but @Jessica Booker may have a different opinion on this.
Completely agree with @James Carrabino ’s comments here - two examples is probably a safe bet just fo give you some interchangeability when needed or when questions might be similar, but like James, you might find your best examples to be sufficient. It’s just a a useful back up to have another example.

I don’t think you necessarily need to restrict your examples to your current role as long as they are distinct examples - eg the scenarios don’t feel very similar. Ultimately when you have been in a role for a year and a half I would naturally expect some answers to fit better or be your best examples. However, like James has suggested, I think some variety outside of your current role would be beneficial, just to show there is more to you than your current role.

Reactions: James Carrabino

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

Sorry, as a follow-up to the previous question on the CV for DLA: when we list our responsibilities, would you suggest mentioning the skills learnt?
So for example, "Reviewed documents XYZ which enhanced my attention to detail."
CVs tend to be more factual documents, but I do see plenty of candidates do this. If the skill is very obvious, I don't think you need to claim it though.

Reactions: Casual

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
Hi Jessica,
I am wondering whether BTECs are looked down upon in applications?
I have 240 UCAS points (2019) and got A*, D*D, D*, D in sixth form.

For example, if a firm is stating AAB as their requirement would I meet it?
Also, some firms do not have an option for 'BTECs', you can only add that as an 'Other' qualification, should I not even bother with applying?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
I am wondering whether BTECs are looked down upon in applications?
I have 240 UCAS points (2019) and got A*, D*D, D*, D in sixth form.

For example, if a firm is stating AAB as their requirement would I meet it?
Also, some firms do not have an option for 'BTECs', you can only add that as an 'Other' qualification, should I not even bother with applying?
I am assuming the A is in an A-level and then the BTEC is the D*, D*, D?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am assuming the A is in an A-level and then the BTEC is the D*, D*, D?
Yeah!
Just to clarify those are the subjects;
A* - Psychology
D*D - Health and Social Care, D* - Science, D - Law ( although this is only 'BTEC Certificate' so I don't think it could even be compared to an A-level anyway).
BTEC certificates have UCAS points, so they are comparable.

But a D* is only 28 UCAS points while an A* for A-levels is 56 points, so they are basically considered to only be half the value.

For firms that have a UCAS point criteria of over 112 points (they will only consider your best three grades), you won’t meet their criteria.

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
Yeah!

BTEC certificates have UCAS points, so they are comparable.

But a D* is only 28 UCAS points while an A* for A-levels is 56 points, so they are basically considered to only be half the value.

For firms that have a UCAS point criteria of over 112 points (they will only consider your best three grades), you won’t meet their criteria.
Sorry Jessica I think I am overcomplicating stuff, I probably should have started with that at the beginnin.

The D*D in Health and Social Care is a National Diploma - which my understanding is 104 points
And then the D* Science is a National Extended Certificate which ( also only my understanding) is 56 points? and then also (only) one A-level.
Only one BTEC is a Certificate - Law (28 points?)

But I might be completely wrong.

IceFloe

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker.

A&O's application question asks for candidates to 'describe the key learnings/skills you've gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities' in 250 words.

I'm thinking of outlining three skills. Would it be sufficient to say, for example, that I played a team sport and this experience as a whole developed my team working ability?

Or should I be more specific and detail a specific experience as a team sport player that developed my team working ability? This would probably mean I would have to cut down to two skills instead of three.

I'm just wondering how far down the STAR route I should go. Any thoughts of yours would be appreciated, thank you so much.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker.

A&O's application question asks for candidates to 'describe the key learnings/skills you've gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities' in 250 words.

I'm thinking of outlining three skills. Would it be sufficient to say, for example, that I played a team sport and this experience as a whole developed my team working ability?

Or should I be more specific and detail a specific experience as a team sport player that developed my team working ability? This would probably mean I would have to cut down to two skills instead of three.

I'm just wondering how far down the STAR route I should go. Any thoughts of yours would be appreciated, thank you so much.
You need to really focus on the specifics of how you worked with others to develop your team skills. Just trying to use the example to claim the skill isn’t enough - you need to explain what you did that demonstrates the skill.

I personally don’t think STAR is appropriate for this question because you haven’t got the word count to go into a full STAR answer for multiple competencies/skills. It needs to be a really light/brief STAR format, really focusing on your actions and impact.

I think you can still manage to cover three skills is done is a concise and structured way though. Sometimes people use the same example to highlight two skills though.

Reactions: IceFloe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry Jessica I think I am overcomplicating stuff, I probably should have started with that at the beginnin.

The D*D in Health and Social Care is a National Diploma - which my understanding is 104 points
And then the D* Science is a National Extended Certificate which ( also only my understanding) is 56 points? and then also (only) one A-level.
Only one BTEC is a Certificate - Law (28 points?)

But I might be completely wrong.
Were the final assessments/exams all i the same year for all of these qualifications?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah, 2019.
Although, the BTEC Certificate was only 1 year long (so I only did that in year 13). but to answer the question the final exams and deadlines were in 2019.
Ok - as they will only consider your three best grades, it will only apply to the three highest UCAS points (and the D*D equates to two grades).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.