Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hi Jessica,

Time to start the direct TC apps.

If you haven’t had any interaction with a firm formally (open day or other event) is there much chance of securing a training contract?

I’m a career changer (civil servant) with experience of working with lawyers but at a social rather than economic regulator. Haven’t done any vac schemes but have done a lot of open days and other events.

It isn't a pre-requisite to have gone to an open day or have completed a VS to secure a TC. My biggest tip regarding direct TC applications is - do your homework. Many firms will state that they accept direct TC applicants. But, the truth of the matter is that TC offers are usually made to their VS students and you are left but with the residue, if you are applying direct. Prime examples of this are US firms with smaller intakes.

Please let me know if you need any assistance. I am a public-sector worker making the transition into commercial law. If I can help, I'd be glad to.

Reactions: Changes

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
It isn't a pre-requisite to have gone to an open day or have completed a VS to secure a TC. My biggest tip regarding direct TC applications is - do your homework. Many firms will state that they accept direct TC applicants. But, the truth of the matter is that TC offers are usually made to their VS students and you are left but with the residue, if you are applying direct. Prime examples of this are US firms with smaller intakes.

Please let me know if you need any assistance. I am a public-sector worker making the transition into commercial law. If I can help, I'd be glad to.

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I’ve got a few firms in mind with no VS but also plan to apply to some larger firms with bigger intakes.

Likewise, if there is anyway I can help.

Did you do any Vac schemes? I know in central government you have to have permission from the perm sec, which makes things difficult.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Time to start the direct TC apps.

If you haven’t had any interaction with a firm formally (open day or other event) is there much chance of securing a training contract?

I’m a career changer (civil servant) with experience of working with lawyers but at a social rather than economic regulator. Haven’t done any vac schemes but have done a lot of open days and other events.

yes

Reactions: Changes

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker ,

With all the news of this virus having the possibility of seeing another financial crash similar to 2008, do you think this will have any impact on future trainees who have already signed on with firms, or applicants? Could we be seeing the number of training contracts available decreasing, or even some cancelled altogether?

I don't think Corona virus alone will do this. I think a combination of the SQE coming in, Brexit, potential global recession anyway, + Covid19 could lead to less graduate vacancies. This won't just impact law firms, but all industries though and if anything law tend to be the more stable sector for graduate vacancies compared to other sectors like Finance or the Public Sector.

In past instances, firms tend to defer future trainees rather than cancel them altogether though. They have only been cancelled when firms go bust. Deferrals usually come with a potential payment. I know trainees who were deferred in 2009/10 and they got enough money to enjoy a 6 month extended holiday, so it isn't always the worst thing to happen. It usually happens in stages - firstly asking for volunteers to defer (which usually there are enough takers).

The interesting thing that might off-set this though is the SQE. Its predicted that many more people will fail the SQE stage 1 exams than current pass rates for the LPC. This may mean that firms who are planning to move across to the SQE model of training contract early on may look to over recruit, in a similar way to which the Banks and Accountancy firms do, given many people don't pass their exams in the first 3-6 months.

There's a lot of ifs and buts in there though to say anything definite. I am pretty sure firms will continue to recruit though and I would expect trainee intake numbers to drop by a small amount (say 8-12%) rather than massive cuts.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I haven't heard back from a firm after doing a WG test like almost over 2 months ago. I have emailed the grad rec team but I have had no response. What would you say is the best thing to do next?

can you log into the application portal to check it’s status?

only other thing you can do is call them.

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
Oct 18, 2019
can you log into the application portal to check it’s status?

only other thing you can do is call them.

I have just logged in to check, but the portal hasn't updated since I received the WG invite in January.

I cannot find a specific grad rec number on the firm's website. Would it be better to call the main office and ask if I could be put through to grad rec?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have just logged in to check, but the portal hasn't updated since I received the WG invite in January.

I cannot find a specific grad rec number on the firm's website. Would it be better to call the main office and ask if I could be put through to grad rec?

Yes go via the main switchboard if needed

lawstudent2111

Feb 22, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I am only just becoming acquainted with Linkedin and would like guidance on the appropriateness and scope of using the site. If you have met a partner for a one to one insight day, but you do not know them other than through this experience, is it appropriate to connect with them? Apologies if this seems naive, just not sure how to properly get started with connecting with others and the do's and dont's.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I am only just becoming acquainted with Linkedin and would like guidance on the appropriateness and scope of using the site. If you have met a partner for a one to one insight day, but you do not know them other than through this experience, is it appropriate to connect with them? Apologies if this seems naive, just not sure how to properly get started with connecting with others and the do's and dont's.

yes - if you have met them one-to-one and not for a general open day/insight event with multiple people, it is fine to request a connection. It is up to that individual as to whether they accept it though.

General rules are:

1) not an issue connecting with people you know/who you have met and who have spoken to on some level

2) with people you don’t know, figure out why are you looking to connect with them? If it’s just to build your network, then that isn’t good enough. There must be a meaningful purpose to your connection. If it’s because you are looking for advice/guidance from them, you need to be able to explain why you have chosen them out of the 100s or potentially 1000s of people like them you could have also connected with. When you do send the connection request, explain briefly this rationale for connecting with them.

Reactions: lawstudent2111

lawstudent2111

Feb 22, 2020
yes - if you have met them one-to-one and not for a general open day/insight event with multiple people, it is fine to request a connection. It is up to that individual as to whether they accept it though.

General rules are:

1) not an issue connecting with people you know/who you have met and who have spoken to on some level

2) with people you don’t know, figure out why are you looking to connect with them? If it’s just to build your network, then that isn’t good enough. There must be a meaningful purpose to your connection. If it’s because you are looking for advice/guidance from them, you need to be able to explain why you have chosen them out of the 100s or potentially 1000s of people like them you could have also connected with. When you do send the connection request, explain briefly this rationale for connecting with them.

Thank you Jessica! Great advice!

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Hi Jessica!

Very often the application is accompanied by the Diversity & Equality form and I am somewhat struggling what answer to provide with "Are you the first generation of your family to go to university"? In my case, my mum went to uni when I was 16, so two years before I started my higher education. I know that taking this question at the face value it is clear that I am not a first generation since my mum actually did graduate, albeit merely a year before me, however on the other hand I did grow up in the household where none of my parents held university diplomas. My dad also started his degree last year too, so here's that :D (on a side note, I am super proud of them!)

I know this may be a silly & rather irrelevant thing but I want to answer the question honestly however this is often a yes/no situation and I cannot really provide more background in the form.

Thanks!

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hi Jessica, is this an acceptable email to send out to a graduate recruiter in relation to an update? They only provide a generic email:

'To whom it may concern,

I am writing in regards to the progress of my application, I would be grateful if I could be provided with an update please.

Yours Sincerely,

Samina'

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica!

Very often the application is accompanied by the Diversity & Equality form and I am somewhat struggling what answer to provide with "Are you the first generation of your family to go to university"? In my case, my mum went to uni when I was 16, so two years before I started my higher education. I know that taking this question at the face value it is clear that I am not a first generation since my mum actually did graduate, albeit merely a year before me, however on the other hand I did grow up in the household where none of my parents held university diplomas. My dad also started his degree last year too, so here's that :D (on a side note, I am super proud of them!)

I know this may be a silly & rather irrelevant thing but I want to answer the question honestly however this is often a yes/no situation and I cannot really provide more background in the form.

Thanks!

You’d need to state your parent(s) did attend uni.

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Was planning to apply for a TC with a firm after completing their 3 day spring workshop. Given the deadline is early June, it seems very unlikely they’ll find a new date before then. Would you recommend going ahead and applying for a TC now? The application form is the same so I probably wouldn’t change anything, except tightening a few bits in the work experience. Would pose the question to them but imagine they are inundated.

Thanks!

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi, @Jessica Booker! I am asking on behalf of a close family friend of mine, who's currently on the LPC, and was wondering whether this would affect his prospects of getting a TC. He recently graduated from a good Russell Group University with first class and good extra-curricular activities. However, he took his LPC exams this year and passed all the core modules, except one which he failed by a mark, largely in part as he was focusing on applications this year as opposed to his exams on the LPC. Although he admits it was largely poor time management on his part, he's worried whether this would affect his chances of getting a TC moving forward as he's already had several interviews and a vacation scheme before the results came out. He's been wondering whether the mark would hinder his chances considering he needs to re-sit and the re-sit will appear on his transcript.

Thank you so much, Jessica!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.