Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Was planning to apply for a TC with a firm after completing their 3 day spring workshop. Given the deadline is early June, it seems very unlikely they’ll find a new date before then. Would you recommend going ahead and applying for a TC now? The application form is the same so I probably wouldn’t change anything, except tightening a few bits in the work experience. Would pose the question to them but imagine they are inundated.

Thanks!

What do you mean find a new date? New date for what?

If you are going to have stronger grades or work experience to mention, I'd personally wait. If not, sure apply now.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, @Jessica Booker! I am asking on behalf of a close family friend of mine, who's currently on the LPC, and was wondering whether this would affect his prospects of getting a TC. He recently graduated from a good Russell Group University with first class and good extra-curricular activities. However, he took his LPC exams this year and passed all the core modules, except one which he failed by a mark, largely in part as he was focusing on applications this year as opposed to his exams on the LPC. Although he admits it was largely poor time management on his part, he's worried whether this would affect his chances of getting a TC moving forward as he's already had several interviews and a vacation scheme before the results came out. He's been wondering whether the mark would hinder his chances considering he needs to re-sit and the re-sit will appear on his transcript.

Thank you so much, Jessica!

Couple of questions:

1) Does this mean they have failed the course completely (if they didn't resit)?
2) If not, what would their overall grade be not including the resit?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Given the current situation, do you think it’s worth applying to direct TCs for the summer? Will interviews take place in July/August does it seem unlikely. Thanks

If you want a TC, you are going to have to apply! Got to be in it to win it ;)

As has been said on other threads, firms are recruiting 2-3 years in advance. The only recruitment that will be impacted is jobs that start in the next 3-4 months.

Reactions: Jay-Lo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry - meant to say the event has been cancelled pending a new date.

Ahh... I see, sorry! My head is slightly frazzled at the moment.

I wouldn't rush into applying and maybe ask them closer to the time. This means you may find out if the event I rescheduled before deadline, or I quite expect some firms to have a more fluid approach to deadlines this year - it might be the deadline is pushed back.

Reactions: Changes

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
His mark for that module will be capped to a pass, but it won't have any effect on the grade for the rest of his modules.

Not so much of an issue then - yes the capped pass isn't ideal but it on its own its a really minor point in an application (unless they are applying to firms who would do more work related to that type of module).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone....

I want to get your thoughts on the following. Having spoken to Jaysen, I am keen to do some form of live-chat event in the next week or so and want to get your thoughts on this.

So my questions are:

- Format: would people prefer a group session or small 1-2-1 sessions (if the latter, then this will be limited to a much smaller audience)
- Timings: what time of day would it be better to run this?
- Content: what would you like to be covered in the session (don't say commercial awareness topics as I am the least commercially aware person I know)

Any further ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hey everyone....

I want to get your thoughts on the following. Having spoken to Jaysen, I am keen to do some form of live-chat event in the next week or so and want to get your thoughts on this.

So my questions are:

- Format: would people prefer a group session or small 1-2-1 sessions (if the latter, then this will be limited to a much smaller audience)
- Timings: what time of day would it be better to run this?
- Content: what would you like to be covered in the session (don't say commercial awareness topics as I am the least commercially aware person I know)

Any further ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I would be more than happy.
Format: I would prefer a wider audience
Timings:
Content:Being educated overseas I would like to know what I should do in case there is not a section.As a former graduate recruiter, what did you look for in candidates?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi Jessica,

Last year I applied to Dentons but was rejected at the app stage.

Do you think I can apply again this year? Plus one of the questions is about proudest personal achievement. Now, my biggest personal achievement is my weight loss..Do you think I can write about it again?

Best

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Last year I applied to Dentons but was rejected at the app stage.

Do you think I can apply again this year? Plus one of the questions is about proudest personal achievement. Now, my biggest personal achievement is my weight loss..Do you think I can write about it again?

Best

check the firm’s policy regarding reapplying - typically if it’s a different recruitment cycle it’s ok, but some firms do limit applications beyond that.

If it is your best personal achievement then use it. Just make sure it really highlight attributes/qualities that the firm is looking for in its employees

Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
check the firm’s policy regarding reapplying - typically if it’s a different recruitment cycle it’s ok, but some firms do limit applications beyond that.

If it is your best personal achievement then use it. Just make sure it really highlight attributes/qualities that the firm is looking for in its employees
Thank you

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I’ve secured 2 vac schemes this cycle, but one has been postponed and the other cancelled (changed to direct TC interview). Can I put them on a direct TC application to another firm?

I don’t have any other vac schemes on my application form but have a few open days and a 12month legal internship (current job) so I think the ‘incoming’ vac schemes would be reallyyyy helpful to my app but is it considered ok to put one as ‘future participant’ or something and then explain the other as cancelled?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I’ve secured 2 vac schemes this cycle, but one has been postponed and the other cancelled (changed to direct TC interview). Can I put them on a direct TC application to another firm?

I don’t have any other vac schemes on my application form but have a few open days and a 12month legal internship (current job) so I think the ‘incoming’ vac schemes would be reallyyyy helpful to my app but is it considered ok to put one as ‘future participant’ or something and then explain the other as cancelled?

Thanks!

yes you can put future vacation schemes on an application - although with little to no detail behind them, it’s usually one to put in an “any extra info” section rather than a work experience section.

I have advised people in other threads to also explain when you have secured schemes through competitive recruitment processes but they have been cancelled.

Last edited:
Reactions: c1070

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020
Hi Jessica,

With so many universities moving their assessments to either coursework or online exams, do you think it could potentially undermine the value of our grades, especially when it comes to exceptionally high marks? For example, when presented with a grade that is in the high 70s or even 80s, do you think employers might attribute less weight to them as online exams and coursework are sometimes viewed as being less rigorous?

Thanks!

Reactions: M777

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

With so many universities moving their assessments to either coursework or online exams, do you think it could potentially undermine the value of our grades, especially when it comes to exceptionally high marks? For example, when presented with a grade that is in the high 70s or even 80s, do you think employers might attribute less weight to them as online exams and coursework are sometimes viewed as being less rigorous?

Thanks!

no.

But even if that was the case the same weighting would be applied to anyone studying that year.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.