Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker! I think in one of the other threads you mentioned you would be compiling some info about prep for virtual interviews. Have you already provided that on one of the threads (I could have missed it)? really looking forward to it!

No not yet unfortunately - I think the team are running a virtual talk on this with Shearman & Sterling though.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Ar2016

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

No, this question is included in the questions section of the form, immediately following the competency questions.

Thanks for your help with this.

Fine to do so as long as you aren't repeating details in other sections of the application form, including what you have put in the competency questions.

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hi Jessica,

If I'm asked 'where else have you applied/how are your other applications going?' obviously I will be truthful (and I know generally they ask this to see if we have applied to other similar kinds of firms/practice areas to see our motivations for that kind of law/firm) but on the 'how are they going' side, do you recommend being super vague and saying something like 'yes they're going OK' or be super transparent and say if I have any other vac schemes/tc interviews lined up?

Hopefully that doesn't sound like a really unnecessary question! Im just curious as to whether you think that explaining you have other vac schemes is beneficial because shows you've been successful with other firms or whether its best to just be vague?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

If I'm asked 'where else have you applied/how are your other applications going?' obviously I will be truthful (and I know generally they ask this to see if we have applied to other similar kinds of firms/practice areas to see our motivations for that kind of law/firm) but on the 'how are they going' side, do you recommend being super vague and saying something like 'yes they're going OK' or be super transparent and say if I have any other vac schemes/tc interviews lined up?

Hopefully that doesn't sound like a really unnecessary question! Im just curious as to whether you think that explaining you have other vac schemes is beneficial because shows you've been successful with other firms or whether its best to just be vague?
    I think here I'd just be honest. I don't think firms are looking to catch you out, I think they're just genuinely interested so I'd just be honest about if you've interviewed anywhere else or having anything else coming up

Reactions: c1070

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

you just need to explain which stage you are at. Rather than saying they are going ok, it is better to say something like:

I have 6 live applications including those for X, Y and Z which I am yet to hear back from after submitting the application. I have reached the video interview stage for A and B and have an assessment centre for C on 1 September 2020.

You can also add vacation schemes, although these should be on your application form anyway.

You can also explain if you will/might be making future applications.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

c1070

Esteemed Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    you just need to explain which stage you are at. Rather than saying they are going ok, it is better to say something like:

I have 6 live applications including those for X, Y and Z which I am yet to hear back from after submitting the application. I have reached the video interview stage for A and B and have an assessment centre for C on 1 September 2020.

You can also add vacation schemes, although these should be on your application form anyway.

You can also explain if you will/might be making future applications.

That’s really helpful, thank you!

My other vacation schemes weren’t on my application as I hadn’t secured them before being invited to this TC interview so will mention them in the way you said above if I do get asked at interview!

Thanks again!

NCLaw

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 5, 2018
    Hiya @Jessica Booker ,

I am doing a Forsters application and one of the questions is: Forsters values are: engaged, realistic, dedicated, collaborative and ethical. Which of these do you align with the most and why?

Do you think this is asking me to pick one value or a few of them? I think personally I should pick a few (because actually, values like engaged and dedicated can be interchangeable). But then do you also think I should mention why I am also the others that I didn't pick? I've only got 250 words to play with so I do need to be concise!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hiya @Jessica Booker ,

I am doing a Forsters application and one of the questions is: Forsters values are: engaged, realistic, dedicated, collaborative and ethical. Which of these do you align with the most and why?

Do you think this is asking me to pick one value or a few of them? I think personally I should pick a few (because actually, values like engaged and dedicated can be interchangeable). But then do you also think I should mention why I am also the others that I didn't pick? I've only got 250 words to play with so I do need to be concise!
    Hi all, I had an email earlier today regarding Forsters.

They are putting their graduate recruitment process "on hold" this summer, by cancelling the vacation schemes and the direct training contract recruitment process.

They plan to pick this recruitment up at a later stage in the year when their office reopens and when "it is safe to have candidates come in for assessments and interviews".

Did you see this message above? I don't think it's worth submitting an application at the moment to Forsters

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hiya @Jessica Booker ,

I’d personally choose one or two at most. Three is a bit over the top when there is only five of them.

Reactions: NCLaw

NCLaw

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 5, 2018
    I seriously must have done some pretty questionable stuff in my previous life because I don't know how else to explain the mess this application cycle is for me :confused:

For reference, I applied to only a few firms this year so far with 4 of them postponing their recruitment process (all after I have already submitted the apps + one of them after the first stage interview) and 1 cancelling their vacation scheme altogether (I was moved to the direct TC process, but still). Now Forsters joins the crowd, thankfully (?) I was only in the middle of the application, so no biggie.

Anyways, how's your Tuesday going, folks? :D

Did you see this message above? I don't think it's worth submitting an application at the moment to Forsters

Hi all, I have posted on the other thread but in case anyone has missed it, Forsters are still accepting applications for the 2022 training contract and the deadline still stands but they are waiting to assess people further until they can do so in person. This may be later on in the year or early next year.

Hope this helps :)

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I know there is no perfect answer on this but do you have an approx word limit you'd stick to for cover letters? The application is just a cover letter with no limit and one question about extra-curricular activities.

So it's ended up being longer than my other ones!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I know there is no perfect answer on this but do you have an approx word limit you'd stick to for cover letters? The application is just a cover letter with no limit and one question about extra-curricular activities.

So it's ended up being longer than my other ones!

Just aim for a page really - word count will depend on your formatting.

S321

Star Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I'm currently completing an application for the GLP diversity scheme and I'm having difficulty answering one of the questions 'How have you demonstrated an interest in the work the GLP completes'

To be eligible for this scheme it states a candidate should 'Not have previously attended an event with the GLS (whether with Aspiring Solicitors, another organisation, or independently)', so I'm a bit stumped, and there's only a three and a half-day window to complete the app. So how can I explain the interest other than actually registering my interest? I've only recently joined LinkedIn so I'm still finding my way around it and I haven't yet contacted anyone, so I can't say I've networked yet. I secured a place at the Citizen's Advice Bureau as a court volunteer prior to COVID-19 but that's all been halted so I can't use that as expressing an interest.

Could I use this space to explain the research I've done or is that a weak answer/possibly explain my skills from my current job and how they're transferrable?

Sorry for the long post any help would be appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I'm currently completing an application for the GLP diversity scheme and I'm having difficulty answering one of the questions 'How have you demonstrated an interest in the work the GLP completes'

To be eligible for this scheme it states a candidate should 'Not have previously attended an event with the GLS (whether with Aspiring Solicitors, another organisation, or independently)', so I'm a bit stumped, and there's only a three and a half-day window to complete the app. So how can I explain the interest other than actually registering my interest? I've only recently joined LinkedIn so I'm still finding my way around it and I haven't yet contacted anyone, so I can't say I've networked yet. I secured a place at the Citizen's Advice Bureau as a court volunteer prior to COVID-19 but that's all been halted so I can't use that as expressing an interest.

Could I use this space to explain the research I've done or is that a weak answer/possibly explain my skills from my current job and how they're transferrable?

Sorry for the long post any help would be appreciated.

it isn’t about your interest in the GLS, more the work they do. You could draw upon other research/other events/other activity/work experience/academics that would give you knowledge about the type of work that the GLS does.

It’s not asking you about your skills so avoid talking about that. You can talk about research you have done though - but focus on the specifics of the question.

Reactions: S321

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I hope you are well! I was wondering if you might have any tips on what would be the best way to structure one's presentation on a commercial article, or a case study analysis. I am trying to discern a more concise and methodical way to discuss various issues in a commercial topic/article. I would really love to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you so much in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I hope you are well! I was wondering if you might have any tips on what would be the best way to structure one's presentation on a commercial article, or a case study analysis. I am trying to discern a more concise and methodical way to discuss various issues in a commercial topic/article. I would really love to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you so much in advance!

A commercial article will have a very different approach to a commercial case study. Which one will you be doing?

Popal

Distinguished Member
    Feb 25, 2020
    it isn’t about your interest in the GLS, more the work they do. You could draw upon other research/other events/other activity/work experience/academics that would give you knowledge about the type of work that the GLS does.

It’s not asking you about your skills so avoid talking about that. You can talk about research you have done though - but focus on the specifics of the question.

Hello! I’m currently a paralegal for GLP and I imagine what they are looking for is as Jessica says more about your interest in the work. Express why you are interested in government work, doing things like drafting bills and shaping policy. It’s very different to law firms, as lawyers’ clients are mostly policy/fellow civil service professionals (as well as ultimately ministers). Could also write about why you are interested in the civil service in general and why a profession with a duty to uphold the rule of law appeals to you. Just a few ideas, hope this helps. Do drop me a message if you’d like:)

Also just for info for anyone applying, it recently became GLP rather than GLS so do avoid using GLS if possible!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.