Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hi Jessica, I recently interviewed for a TC at a firm that switched their vac scheme for a TC interview due to corona virus. Unfortunately I was rejected but I was shocked in that I emailed requesting feedback and they refused saying they were unable to provide feedback. I would understand if this were at the application stage but this was post WG, AC and then finally the TC interview. I was quite frustrated by this but I was wondering if you could provide an insight into why they would decline to provide feedback? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I recently interviewed for a TC at a firm that switched their vac scheme for a TC interview due to corona virus. Unfortunately I was rejected but I was shocked in that I emailed requesting feedback and they refused saying they were unable to provide feedback. I would understand if this were at the application stage but this was post WG, AC and then finally the TC interview. I was quite frustrated by this but I was wondering if you could provide an insight into why they would decline to provide feedback? Thanks!

They shouldn’t really - it is something they should be providing. Why they aren’t could be a number of reasons, none of them that legitimate in my opinion.

if it was me, I’d ask again in a politely worded email and ask them to explain why they can’t provide it if that’s their stance again.

The next step you could take is putting in a subject access request of any information they hold on you. This would include either interview notes or most likely a “condensed” version of the notes.

Reactions: Jaysen and Sam55

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
They shouldn’t really - it is something they should be providing. Why they aren’t could be a number of reasons, none of them that legitimate in my opinion.

if it was me, I’d ask again in a politely worded email and ask them to explain why they can’t provide it if that’s their stance again.

The next step you could take is putting in a subject access request of any information they hold on you. This would include either interview notes or most likely a “condensed” version of the notes.

Thanks for the reply! I did ask them again why and unfortunately they basically stuck with their original ‘we are unable to provide feedback’. Is there a specific way to make a subject access request or do I just email them something along the lines of ‘I would like to make a subject access request for any information you have pertaining to me’? Thanks again for the help

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the reply! I did ask them again why and unfortunately they basically stuck with their original ‘we are unable to provide feedback’. Is there a specific way to make a subject access request or do I just email them something along the lines of ‘I would like to make a subject access request for any information you have pertaining to me’? Thanks again for the help

no - you’ll need a specific template that outlines what you want, timescales etc. Here is a useful website for further information.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matter...g-and-submitting-your-subject-access-request/

Note the firm may charge you the standard fee for the SAR (think it’s £10). But they’d be stupid to charge you as it would cost them more in having to process an invoice and arrange payment from you than it would be worth £10.

Reactions: Sam55

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

it’s probably best we deal with this in private messages rather than a public forum. Please can you PM me with this detail. Also feel free to edit or delete the earlier post should you want to - There’s a lot of personal and specific information there that not everyone has to see.

cgs97

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Hi Jessica - I really appreciated your posts about advice for virtual internships, it was so helpful! I've got an online vac scheme next week with a firm, which I'm really looking forward to. According to LawCareers.Net, there's 22 vac scheme places and just two TCs, which has freaked me out a bit... Do you have any extra advice about how to stand out during the remote scheme, when the competition is so stiff?!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Kelvin

Apr 14, 2019
Hi, what advice do you have for future trainees deciding what seats to apply for?

Specifically, if there is a seat a trainee really wants to qualify into but is very popular and typically offers very few (0-1) NQ roles per intake, is it perhaps advisable to consider making the other three seats more 'pragmatic' choices (based on business/legal demand c.f. pure interest)?

Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, what advice do you have for future trainees deciding what seats to apply for?

Specifically, if there is a seat a trainee really wants to qualify into but is very popular and typically offers very few (0-1) NQ roles per intake, is it perhaps advisable to consider making the other three seats more 'pragmatic' choices (based on business/legal demand c.f. pure interest)?

Thank you :)

Anything you want to qualify into you should probably be aiming for in your last year on your TC ideally. It is not an issue if you did the seat in your first year, but it would be better to aim for it in your second.

First seats I wouldn’t worry too much about. As first seaters, you tend to be last in the queue although many firms will think tactically and provide seats that will be a good first seat to settle you into life at the firm.

Depends on the firm’s TC structure and if you have compulsory seats or not, this may not leave you with many other options. But if you have more than 4 seats and/or no compulsory seats, then think about the following:

- what seats would complement the one you want to qualify into

- what would be your back up practice area if you didn’t get into your top spot

- what secondments (both client and international) would help with your qualification choices. Many trainees will hang on to the glam secondments in New York/Hong Kong/Dubai, but depending on where you want to qualify into, a secondment to a client in Slough, might not be as glamorous but may help your qualification choices more

- What departments work more closely together and may give you exposure to working with lawyers from the team you want to qualify into

My advice is also try to keep an open mind. Many trainees start their TC thinking they will be X type of lawyer on qualification, and actually end up enjoying other department/practice areas more and change their mind part way through their TC.

So my suggestion is to try and go with the flow. It is ok to have an idea and present these as your preferences, but at the same time there are so many other variables that’s going to be in place, that some things will be out of your control.

The best things to do is to try and ensure you are getting positive reviews from any department you sit in, and that you network/proactively help as much as you can. Making yourself visible and known as a “good egg” throughout your TC will hold a lot of weight. Networking doesn’t have to just be going to events or every after work drinks, it could be simple things like getting your PA a birthday card, helping out with arranging the Christmas party, getting involved in a fundraiser, helping Grad Rec with their events/marketing. It’s those type of things that people will also remember you by, not just the quality of your work.

• 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen and Kelvin

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica - I really appreciated your posts about advice for virtual internships, it was so helpful! I've got an online vac scheme next week with a firm, which I'm really looking forward to. According to LawCareers.Net, there's 22 vac scheme places and just two TCs, which has freaked me out a bit... Do you have any extra advice about how to stand out during the remote scheme, when the competition is so stiff?!

I don’t think the advice is any different unfortunately. My advice would be the same if there was 1 TC or 100.

If anything my advice would be to try and not hang on to this idea of it being super competitive. Over worrying about that and trying to second guess everything you do will probably be far less productive than just focusing on the tasks you have to hand.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I would perhaps consider emailing directly the people who interviewed you?

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would perhaps consider emailing directly the people who interviewed you?

Yeah good shout if you are not getting any luck with the HR/Grad Rec team. Normally I would advise against this, but in this situation there is nothing to lose in contacting the interviewers directly.

Last edited:

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi Jessica, I had this interview question once, and I was really puzzled as to what would be the best way to answer it. The question was "what would you do if a partner asks you to speak to a client on a project on his behalf, which you had not prepared for?" I was thrown a bit off-guard and wasn't really sure how to answer because upon clarifying the question with the interviewer again, he asked me how I would behave when talking to the client, despite having no knowledge about the project.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I had this interview question once, and I was really puzzled as to what would be the best way to answer it. The question was "what would you do if a partner asks you to speak to a client on a project on his behalf, which you had not prepared for?" I was thrown a bit off-guard and wasn't really sure how to answer because upon clarifying the question with the interviewer again, he asked me how I would behave when talking to the client, despite having no knowledge about the project.

what was your answer?

CL20

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I'm looking at the Government Legal Profession application and came across this question: "Please give details of any time not accounted for elsewhere in this application e.g.travel, unemployment, etc."

Do you think this is limited to gap years etc., or could I use this section to briefly mention extra-curricular activities (which do not appear elsewhere in the application)?

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I'm looking at the Government Legal Profession application and came across this question: "Please give details of any time not accounted for elsewhere in this application e.g.travel, unemployment, etc."

Do you think this is limited to gap years etc., or could I use this section to briefly mention extra-curricular activities (which do not appear elsewhere in the application)?

Thanks.

No this is just to talk about time not presented on your application. It does not account for anything like extra curriculars which were completed while you did you degree. It would account for anytime that you are/were not in employment, education or training.

• 🤝
Reactions: CL20

AspiringLawyer

Dec 30, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I have received a TC offer with a deadline to accept of 31 July 2020.

I currently have 11 other TC applications outstanding and would ideally review further hypothetical offers (if any) collectively to make an informed decision on where I would like to train. I was wondering what signing to accept a TC 'actually' means? Is this a 'moral' duty to not renege on the contract or is this an actual legal requirement that when you sign, you must undergo your TC with them and pursuing alternative TC interviews is no longer allowed. Essentially, what are the repercussions for cancelling a contract once you have signed an accepted a TC at a certain firm.

This must be a very common scenario so apologies if the answer is obvious.

Many thanks in advance for any information you may have or advice on where I may go about finding out the answer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I have received a TC offer with a deadline to accept of 31 July 2020.

I currently have 11 other TC applications outstanding and would ideally review further hypothetical offers (if any) collectively to make an informed decision on where I would like to train. I was wondering what signing to accept a TC 'actually' means? Is this a 'moral' duty to not renege on the contract or is this an actual legal requirement that when you sign, you must undergo your TC with them and pursuing alternative TC interviews is no longer allowed. Essentially, what are the repercussions for cancelling a contract once you have signed an accepted a TC at a certain firm.

This must be a very common scenario so apologies if the answer is obvious.

Many thanks in advance for any information you may have or advice on where I may go about finding out the answer.

Have a read over the voluntary code of best recruitment practice to see what “moral obligations” everyone has:

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/en/to...ry-code-of-recruitment-for-trainee-solicitors

However, as it is voluntary, many firms don’t stick to it. If they don’t, my advice is you don’t either.

Beyond this, the only time you will find an issue with reneging on an offer is if you have received some form of financial support from them. That could include enrolment into the GDL/LPC, any maintenance fees or awards (eg some firms will give future trainees an extra amount of money for achieving a first in their degree).

Unfortunately people renege graduate programme offers all the time (although less so in law given the upfront need to study). It isn’t great, and don’t expect to work for the company again in the near future, but plenty do it with no issues whatsoever.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.