Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hope you are doing well. Wanted to ask you, how much sense does interning at a law firm's best friend firm make? Linklaters has an Indian best friend by the name of Talwar Thakore Associates- so is it a good idea to intern at the Indian firm? If yes then are there any key skills that we can pull out of the experience as opposed to interning at just any Tier-1 law firm in India. Basically, what else can we add to the work ex section in case we have interned at the Best Friend firm as opposed to an internship done at a firm of a similar level (ranking wise) but not a best friend.

A very good idea to intern at “best friend” firms if and where you can. It’s not about developing different skills, it’s about the ability to be referred/supported in your application, and building networks with lawyers in the London office.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi Jessica,

I am currently applying for a BAME scheme, and in my cover letter I have to give a brief overview of my academic. Is one line ok?
"I completed the LPC at BPP and currently working as a paralegal for xy firm"
Thank you in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I am currently applying for a BAME scheme, and in my cover letter I have to give a brief overview of my academic. Is one line ok?
"I completed the LPC at BPP and currently working as a paralegal for xy firm"
Thank you in advance

the latter part technically isn’t academic. I would say where you have graduated from for your UG, your degree, your grade and that you have completed the LPC.

Eg:

Having graduated from The University of Manchester with a 2.1 in Law in 2017, I completed the LPC in 2019 (maybe add your grade for your LPC if a commendation or above).

I might also try to add anything that showed particular academic excellence if I could.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
the latter part technically isn’t academic. I would say where you have graduated from for your UG, your degree, your grade and that you have completed the LPC.

Eg:

Having graduated from The University of Manchester with a 2.1 in Law in 2017, I completed the LPC in 2019 (maybe add your grade for your LPC if a commendation or above).

I might also try to add anything that showed particular academic excellence if I could.
Thank you very much

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Mar 17, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker, I have a vacation scheme next week that has been reduced from two weeks to three days via Zoom. Most of the scheme involves case studies held by different departments. I am a bit nervous as the firm only offers a handful of TC's, often not taking people from the vacation scheme. Do you have any advice with how to do well in case study exercises?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I have a vacation scheme next week that has been reduced from two weeks to three days via Zoom. Most of the scheme involves case studies held by different departments. I am a bit nervous as the firm only offers a handful of TC's, often not taking people from the vacation scheme. Do you have any advice with how to do well in case study exercises?

Thank you!

single exercise or group?

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Hi Jessica,
If a TC application requires a CV with the application form itself only enabling you to give the university degree, not even modules, do I need to include every module mark on my CV even if I did non-law?

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I’ve applied for a few direct TCs and I’m also waiting to find out if I get a TC from a vac scheme I recently completed. However, I’m just trying to plan for the worst case scenario right now which would be that I’m unsuccessful in securing a TC this year.

I’m a non-law student who’s just about to graduate and I was thinking of applying to some roles in industries adjacent to law such as finance services to gain experience that could be beneficial for applications next year as the GDL is not really feasible for me without a TC. I was wondering what type of roles it would be advisable for me to apply for? I’ve been looking at off cycle internships and graduate roles but I’m unsure what types of roles would look best to law firms and wouldn’t be ridiculously competitive/require prior experience or previously demonstrated interest in the industry/role. I would really appreciate any advice you could give!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I’ve applied for a few direct TCs and I’m also waiting to find out if I get a TC from a vac scheme I recently completed. However, I’m just trying to plan for the worst case scenario right now which would be that I’m unsuccessful in securing a TC this year.

I’m a non-law student who’s just about to graduate and I was thinking of applying to some roles in industries adjacent to law such as finance services to gain experience that could be beneficial for applications next year as the GDL is not really feasible for me without a TC. I was wondering what type of roles it would be advisable for me to apply for? I’ve been looking at off cycle internships and graduate roles but I’m unsure what types of roles would look best to law firms and wouldn’t be ridiculously competitive/require prior experience or previously demonstrated interest in the industry/role. I would really appreciate any advice you could give!

This is tricky - particularly in today’s market.

Compliance admin roles are probably your best bet if you want something connected to law that won’t be super competitive.

Any Finance roles will be more competitive than law.

You could try something like accountancy/tax, but typically you get signed up to grad programmes for that and I would only recommend that if you want the career long term.

Remember this will be your last chance to do the GDL - last intakes are this September and January.

D

Deleted member 4851

Hi,
I hope you are fine.

I just realised that I've put a wrong start date for my employment in one TC app. The employment is almost two years long so I didn't really remember and just put the 1st of that month put later on I found my contract and saw it says 17th on one place and 19th on another (no idea why different dates) and talked to my employer and he said that on the wage sheet I am employed from 12th .... So i am thinking of contacting the firm to let them know .... But I don't even know what to state as a correct date anymore .... and wether is a good idea to email them.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,
I hope you are fine.

I just realised that I've put a wrong start date for my employment in one TC app. The employment is almost two years long so I didn't really remember and just put the 1st of that month put later on I found my contract and saw it says 17th on one place and 19th on another (no idea why different dates) and talked to my employer and he said that on the wage sheet I am employed from 12th .... So i am thinking of contacting the firm to let them know .... But I don't even know what to state as a correct date anymore .... and wether is a good idea to email them.

What stage are you at?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Post-application. I sent a direct TC application and I am waiting to see wether I will be invited to AC or not.

I’d wait if you get an AC invite and then mention it then.

It isn’t really an issue where you were in there employment for two years, so the mistake is a very small fraction of your working time.

Reactions: Deleted member 4851

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Mar 17, 2020
Sorry for all the questions - are you given some time to work on this? Or is it something where you will only have an hour or so to turn it around as a group?

Hi @Jessica Booker, thank you for your help! Some of it has been given in advance (a day or so), some of it we will see on the day. Each session is half an hour.

I've only studied the GDL so a lot of it is in areas of law that I am not familiar with. I've made an effort to research/develop my understanding in those areas in the short notice period but I'm concerned that the other vac schemers might be more knowledgeable/comfortable in those areas.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, thank you for your help! Some of it has been given in advance (a day or so), some of it we will see on the day. Each session is half an hour.

I've only studied the GDL so a lot of it is in areas of law that I am not familiar with. I've made an effort to research/develop my understanding in those areas in the short notice period but I'm concerned that the other vac schemers might be more knowledgeable/comfortable in those areas.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

I’ll bet money it won’t be about knowing the law... it’s bound to be much more about the commercial implications rather than the legal ones.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I just wanted to ask what you think of putting InsideSherpa virtual internships on Linked In? Are they significant enough, or do you think it looks a bit silly?

Thanks.

I would be putting them on my LinkedIn profile somewhere. You don’t have to put them in work experience (as some of them aren’t really work experience, just simulations) - in those cases you could put them in your skills or potentially education sections.

If you have done multiple virtual internships you may want to put them together in one entry in your work experience though.

• 🤝
Reactions: CL20

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.