Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

layk

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , thank you so much for answering the questions on this forum so far.

I had a quick question regarding Allen & Overy's TC and VC. They say they recruit up to 90 trainees a year and have around 50 vacation scheme spaces. Does this mean there are only around 40 TC spaces if they were to recruit the VS applicants or there's 90 TC spaces on top of the VS?

Thank you!

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker , thank you so much for answering the questions on this forum so far.

I had a quick question regarding Allen & Overy's TC and VC. They say they recruit up to 90 trainees a year and have around 50 vacation scheme spaces. Does this mean there are only around 40 TC spaces if they were to recruit the VS applicants or there's 90 TC spaces on top of the VS?

Thank you!

With A&O and other firms it will be 90 places in total - but not everyone on the Vac Scheme will get a TC offer and not everyone that does get an offer will accept it so probably 30-40 Vac Schemers will accept a TC after the Vac Scheme - so around 50-60 will come from the direct application

Reactions: Quanto881766

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    With A&O and other firms it will be 90 places in total - but not everyone on the Vac Scheme will get a TC offer and not everyone that does get an offer will accept it so probably 30-40 Vac Schemers will accept a TC after the Vac Scheme - so around 50-60 will come from the direct application

I see - thank you!!

Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When you reapply to a firm you have got through the application stage before, what exactly should you be changing? Most experiences will still be the same

I know firms say to show an improvement since your last application - but is it likely they will look at my old application and compare/remember it?

It’s not necessary to compare as such - they can see when your last application was submitted and they just look for evidence of things that have happened since.

Ultimately if your application is going to be very similar you have to ask yourself whether it’s really worthwhile applying.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    It’s not necessary to compare as such - they can see when your last application was submitted and they just look for evidence of things that have happened since.

Ultimately if your application is going to be very similar you have to ask yourself whether it’s really worthwhile applying.
    I agree with that to some extent, but I think it depends on the reason for why a candidate was rejected. If it was because of a WG test for example, I don't it's necessary to have improved drastically since your last application but rather on the test itself. If someone was given feedback after an interview that their answers lacked depth, its their interview technique that would have needed to improve significantly rather than their application/experiences.

• 🤝
    Reactions: BE123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

That sounds about right.

They might have some other feeder programmes to take some of the TC places (they used to a long time ago anyway).

Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I agree with that to some extent, but I think it depends on the reason for why a candidate was rejected. If it was because of a WG test for example, I don't it's necessary to have improved drastically since your last application but rather on the test itself. If someone was given feedback after an interview that their answers lacked depth, its their interview technique that would have needed to improve significantly rather than their application/experiences.

If it’s only down to someone’s interview technique needed improving, they would have been told/encouraged to reapply and the recruiter would be looking out for their application.

Reactions: tractor12

Shane

Distinguished Member
    Jul 22, 2018
    If it’s only down to someone’s interview technique needed improving, they would have been told/encouraged to reapply and the recruiter would be looking out for their application.

On that note, If I was successful at application stage, but was rejected post-VI. Can I use the same cover letter when reapplying, or should I have to update it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    On that note, If I was successful at application stage, but was rejected post-VI. Can I use the same cover letter when reapplying, or should I have to update it?

It should be updated/refined. I suspect anyone could change any document upon a second look at it with a fresh pair of eyes. Take into account some things may have changed/got better since your last application, it should change on some level.

Reactions: tractor12

LydiaS

Dec 4, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I hope you are well. I was browsing through LinkedIn, and I noticed a few of my connections had 1-week placements with some Magic Circle and Silver Circle Firms (not formal vacation schemes or first-year insights). I was wondering, how people are able to obtain 1-week placements (if not through a formal process) as I've been struggling to add some legal work experience on my CV. Thank you, Jess! :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I hope you are well. I was browsing through LinkedIn, and I noticed a few of my connections had 1-week placements with some Magic Circle and Silver Circle Firms (not formal vacation schemes or first-year insights). I was wondering, how people are able to obtain 1-week placements (if not through a formal process) as I've been struggling to add some legal work experience on my CV. Thank you, Jess! :)
    Hey Lydia,

I'd imagine these schemes have come because the person is fortunate to have a connection at the firm who was able to facilitate some informal work experience. Sadly, this is what can be an unfair advantage for some candidates because they are able to get impressive experience purely based on who they know which is much tougher on those candidates who don't come from a background where corporate jobs are commonplace.

A friend of mine from such a background was able to source legal work experience by emailing a partner who worked on a case she found interesting so if in your research you find a case or matter particularly interesting, a cold email can work out very well!

All the best,
    Dan

CCH

Standard Member
    May 24, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker! If an application has the following two questions: ''Please give a brief summary of your recreational and leisure activities, including sports and hobbies.'' and ''Please use this section to tell us about any academic or non academic achievements and interests not covered elsewhere in this application.'' Should I answer the former question by simply describing my interests or hobbies without highlighting any related achievements? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Could be a whole load of reasons.

There are sometimes work experience programmes for staff to refer people they know. For instance I know one firm that operates a Plus1 programme - for every “staff referral” they match it with someone from a low income family. As Dan mentioned, some firms just allow work experience, and so if you know someone you can generally go in and do a week unpaid with them.

Some firms also have programmes with diversity organisations.

Some firms run competitions and the prize is an internship

Some are CSR initiatives run through or in conjunction with their charity partners.

Some firms offer their campus ambassadors work experience, especially if their campus ambassadors don’t convert into vac schemes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker! If an application has the following two questions: ''Please give a brief summary of your recreational and leisure activities, including sports and hobbies.'' and ''Please use this section to tell us about any academic or non academic achievements and interests not covered elsewhere in this application.'' Should I answer the former question by simply describing my interests or hobbies without highlighting any related achievements? Thank you!

The way I read it is that you’d put your achievements related to your hobbies/recreational stuff in that question and then the final question is for anything else not covered by other questions.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    I'm studying for a Master's in Law (which is a QLD) after doing a non-law undergrad. I just received my June exam results and got 85, 85 and 75. I've applied to a number of firms for training contracts and haven't yet heard back. Should I be making contact to tell them I got my results or not? I think my academics are my weakest area at the moment as I was hospitalised during my undergraduate final year and during my A Level exam period (I'm disabled) so I feel there have been a few times when I haven't performed perfectly. Will this update demonstrate that I can perform or will my update just annoy them or be ignored?
    Thanks

LydiaS

Dec 4, 2019
    Hey Lydia,

I'd imagine these schemes have come because the person is fortunate to have a connection at the firm who was able to facilitate some informal work experience. Sadly, this is what can be an unfair advantage for some candidates because they are able to get impressive experience purely based on who they know which is much tougher on those candidates who don't come from a background where corporate jobs are commonplace.

A friend of mine from such a background was able to source legal work experience by emailing a partner who worked on a case she found interesting so if in your research you find a case or matter particularly interesting, a cold email can work out very well!

All the best,
    Dan

Thank you, @Jessica Booker and @Daniel Boden. I've been trying to see whether I can contact a partner or two at a firm, however was wondering how appropriate this would be?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you, @Jessica Booker and @Daniel Boden. I've been trying to see whether I can contact a partner or two at a firm, however was wondering how appropriate this would be?
    Personally, I don't see any problem with it. Be prepared for the email to be ignored but if you can be as specific as possible regarding why you are contacting them and what you are hoping to get out of your interaction e.g. a phone call or an insight day or even a week's work-shadowing then that would be a good starting point I'd say.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.