Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Other than the fact that the firm might actually have a strong PE practice and other than citing this as a reason behind why the firm might be interested in the news story, I fail to go deeper with establishing a link between a news story and the firm. Could you please help me out with this?

I was also eyeing a story on PE to answer "What recent news story interests you" for a firm that has a strong PE practice, but I think it's not specific enough because several firms will have a strong PE practice. Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks.
It doesn’t have to be specific to the firm, just aligned to it.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    I struggled severely with my HFW Application. Therefore, I have submitted it ten days before the deadline.

Would it be appropriate if I email this to graduate recruitment:

"I have sent my application, but I don't know if all the spaces have filled up for the assessment centre. This would help me determine whether I have been rejected for my application, or just due to all the spaces being filled up."

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I struggled severely with my HFW Application. Therefore, I have submitted it ten days before the deadline.

"I have sent my application, but I don't know if all the spaces have filled up for the assessment centre. This would help me determine whether I have been rejected for my application, or just due to all the spaces being filled up."
    They took almost a full year to reject me last cycle, honestly they will probably not respond

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Have you heard back that you have been unsuccessful?

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Have you heard back that you have been unsuccessful?
    No, I havent been unsuccessful yet. The firm does blind screening, where they cant see grades on the form. Therefore, if I am unsuccessful it is probably to do with my application or that AC spaces have filled up. If I ask graduate recruitment if they have already filled AC spaces now, and if I am unsuccessful I would know that there was probably nothing wrong with my writing skills.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    No, I havent been unsuccessful yet. The firm does blind screening, where they cant see grades on the form. Therefore, if I am unsuccessful it is probably to do with my application or that AC spaces have filled up. If I ask graduate recruitment if they have already filled AC spaces now, and if I am unsuccessful I would know that there was probably nothing wrong with my writing skills.
    I don’t think it’s appropriate to contact them in this way in all honesty. There are other reasons why you could be unsuccessful - I don’t think you can assume it is your application or they have filled ACs.

But you haven’t even been unsuccessful yet. So in my opinion, you are jumping the gun.

I think asking such a question could be perceived in a negative way, and so would discourage you from doing this.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    I don’t think it’s appropriate to contact them in this way in all honesty. There are other reasons why you could be unsuccessful - I don’t think you can assume it is your application or they have filled ACs.

But you haven’t even been unsuccessful yet. So in my opinion, you are jumping the gun.

I think asking such a question could be perceived in a negative way, and so would discourage you from doing this.
    Okay, thank you very much. I understand.

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker I hope you are well.

I am working on the Ashurst TC Application question : 'Please use this section to tell us about yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst. (750 words max) '

I am unsure as to whether they expect me to discuss my work experience in this section or whether the expected focus is on my extra curricular/positions of responsibilities/hobbies. There is a work experience section already so I don't want to repeat myself but should I still discuss my work experience briefly?

Thanks in advance

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021

I am working on the Ashurst TC Application question : 'Please use this section to tell us about yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst. (750 words max) '

I am unsure as to whether they expect me to discuss my work experience in this section or whether the expected focus is on my extra curricular/positions of responsibilities/hobbies. There is a work experience section already so I don't want to repeat myself but should I still discuss my work experience briefly?

Thanks in advance
    Hey,

I’m rlly sorry for chipping in

But a graduate recruiter once told me to never repeat yourself in an application form. So I would talk about your Extra Curriculars and stuff outside of work experience and academia.

Best of Luck!

Reactions: hopefullawyer123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Thanks in advance
    You could explain how your work experience has shaped your motivations to train as a solicitor and at Ashurst, but there would be no need to repeat the detail of what you did in those work experiences to “sell” your abilities.

Reactions: hopefullawyer123

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope this message finds you well.

With regards to competency questions, specifically to the 'tell me about a time you overcame a challenge', can I talk about something more personal such as getting out of a no-motivation zone/rut during the initial lockdown? I am concerned that the partners may think I am weak or lazy or something of that sort. What is your perspective?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope this message finds you well.

With regards to competency questions, specifically to the 'tell me about a time you overcame a challenge', can I talk about something more personal such as getting out of a no-motivation zone/rut during the initial lockdown? I am concerned that the partners may think I am weak or lazy or something of that sort. What is your perspective?
    I’d try to find something more unique. I think a lot of people can claim something this during lockdown so there is just a risk that it seems fairly common. However , if there are specific elements to your answer that you think make it more unique, then you could use it.

Reactions: Dwight

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    I’d try to find something more unique. I think a lot of people can claim something this during lockdown so there is just a risk that it seems fairly common. However , if there are specific elements to your answer that you think make it more unique, then you could use it.
    I agree with you - not the best example to use. I am really struggling though to think about an example for this specific competency question. People sometimes talk about a crazy medical accident that they have had, for example Jacob's example in his fantastic interview article. However, I can't think of something. Can you please suggest any ideas for what can be talked about / what you have heard before? Or perhaps just tips on how to choose the most fitting examples.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I agree with you - not the best example to use. I am really struggling though to think about an example for this specific competency question. People sometimes talk about a crazy medical accident that they have had, for example Jacob's example in his fantastic interview article. However, I can't think of something. Can you please suggest any ideas for what can be talked about / what you have heard before? Or perhaps just tips on how to choose the most fitting examples.
    It doesn’t have to be anything big and I’d actually say something like Jacob’s example is particularly rare in terms of applications.

It can be anything that was just overly difficult to achieve/complete/get through.

The elements that usually make up such answers are:

- conflicting demands
    - conflicting opinions
    - dedicating lots of time (particularly if you haven’t got it)
    - dedicating lots of energy (particularly if you haven’t got it)
    - not having enough resource but getting it done anyway (time/money/man power)
    - learning something that doesn’t come naturally
    - doing something you don’t enjoy

Reactions: Dwight

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    It doesn’t have to be anything big and I’d actually say something like Jacob’s example is particularly rare in terms of applications.

It can be anything that was just overly difficult to achieve/complete/get through.

The elements that usually make up such answers are:

- conflicting demands
    - conflicting opinions
    - dedicating lots of time (particularly if you haven’t got it)
    - dedicating lots of energy (particularly if you haven’t got it)
    - not having enough resource but getting it done anyway (time/money/man power)
    - learning something that doesn’t come naturally
    - doing something you don’t enjoy
    Thanks a lot, @Jessica Booker. Your pointers make it a lot easier to pick out examples from my experiences.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.