Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica!

I will be finishing my law degree in June and starting the LPC in September. Is the MSc in Law, Business and Management offered by the University of Law worth doing? Or is it viewed by recruiters as a worthless Masters as obviously it is just an extra module alongside the LPC?

not worthless - will get you PG finance if you need it.

it is just an extra module - recruiters will see it as such.

SianUphillxo

Dec 18, 2019
not worthless - will get you PG finance if you need it.

it is just an extra module - recruiters will see it as such.

Excluding the PG finance, does it have any other benefits? Will it make me stand out compared to other candidates who just do the LPC?

I'm only asking because a trainee told me the LPC LLM in Legal Practice was a waste of time, but I didn't realise you could do an MSc in something that *sounds* a bit more valuable!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Excluding the PG finance, does it have any other benefits? Will it make me stand out compared to other candidates who just do the LPC?

I'm only asking because a trainee told me the LPC LLM in Legal Practice was a waste of time, but I didn't realise you could do an MSc in something that *sounds* a bit more valuable!

no - it won’t make you stand out in anyway.

everyone knows it is just the LPC with an additional module.

the only other advantage might be if you are an international student. A masters course is a Level 7 qualification while the LPC is only a level 5 (PGdip). Only Level 6 and above will be entitled to the new post-study visa coming in in 2021. The requirement for those visas may also be a minimum of 12 months studying, which the MsC/LLM would cover but the LPC wouldn’t.

Don’t know if the course is also embedding in SQE prep - if so, that might be an advantage

Last edited:

R Cross

Dec 19, 2019
Hi Jessica!

I was just wondering how much weight recruiters put on academic results.

In my first year I got 32 in a module as I stupidly missed an exam that made up half the marks. Thankfully, first year didn’t count towards my degree so I was fortunate enough to still be able to achieve a first from a decent RG university. I was just wondering if this would be a massive red flag when people come to read my application. (The rest of my first year marks were low 2:1s but as a result of that one module I got a low 2:2 overall).

Also, during my GDL I got a low commendation with some fairly awful marks in certain areas (50 in contract and Con and Ad).

I’m currently finding it hard to motivate myself to do applications as I feel that the results above will ensure anything I submit won’t be taken very seriously. Any clarification on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica!

I was just wondering how much weight recruiters put on academic results.

In my first year I got 32 in a module as I stupidly missed an exam that made up half the marks. Thankfully, first year didn’t count towards my degree so I was fortunate enough to still be able to achieve a first from a decent RG university. I was just wondering if this would be a massive red flag when people come to read my application. (The rest of my first year marks were low 2:1s but as a result of that one module I got a low 2:2 overall).

Also, during my GDL I got a low commendation with some fairly awful marks in certain areas (50 in contract and Con and Ad).

I’m currently finding it hard to motivate myself to do applications as I feel that the results above will ensure anything I submit won’t be taken very seriously. Any clarification on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot :)

unfortunately there isn’t one answer to this - it very much depends on the individual firm. It also depends on the relative strength of the rest of your application.

The 32 will be a worry, especially given the circumstances as to why you got the grade. But if the rest of your form is good, it will just be one strike - most firms can’t afford a one strike and you’re out approach.

The commendation isn’t an issue for most firms. Some that stress exceptional academics might be out of the question.

R Cross

Dec 19, 2019
unfortunately there isn’t one answer to this - it very much depends on the individual firm. It also depends on the relative strength of the rest of your application.

The 32 will be a worry, especially given the circumstances as to why you got the grade. But if the rest of your form is good, it will just be one strike - most firms can’t afford a one strike and you’re out approach.

The commendation isn’t an issue for most firms. Some that stress exceptional academics might be out of the question.

?
Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated! Are individual GDL results not that significant then?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated! Are individual GDL results not that significant then?

to some firms maybe - but if there requirement is just a commendation, I suspect they won’t be overly picky on it.

bur again as mentioned, this is shooting in the dark - will depend on the strength of your application elsewhere. The GDL grades could be strike two to some firms, only leaving you with one strike left.

R Cross

Dec 19, 2019
to some firms maybe - but if there requirement is just a commendation, I suspect they won’t be overly picky on it.

bur again as mentioned, this is shooting in the dark - will depend on the strength of your application elsewhere. The GDL grades could be strike two to some firms, only leaving you with one strike left.
Thanks, that's very helpful :)

SH

M&A Bootcamp
Oct 14, 2019
Hi Jessica. I am wondering what the differences are between 'why firm' and 'why do you want to train here'? My answers seem to work for both the questions. Thank you!

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I do apologise in advance if this has been asked/answered before.

Currently, I am preparing my application for a summer vacation scheme at Hogan Lovells.

The questions are quite extensive and require addressing a variety of elements, which has meant that I haven't had much room to link my answer back to HL or to commercial law. Is this something I should be doing?

To summarise: the first question asks about what made an experience in which you collaborated with people from different cultures/backgrounds so enjoyable; the second asks about a time in which you had to raise your game in order to keep a promise, and how you consequently managed your time; the third asks you to demonstrate an innovative/entrepreneurial spirit; and the final asks you to detail anything that makes you stand out from the crowd. All have a 250 word limit.

Many thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica. I am wondering what the differences are between 'why firm' and 'why do you want to train here'? My answers seem to work for both the questions. Thank you!

why the train here is specifically about the learning and development opportunities specifically for 2 years (eg training contract structure, secondment opportunities, supervision methods, skills training).

the why firm could include a much wider range of reasons - culture, working environment, wider opportunities with CSR/pro bono etc

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

Currently, I am preparing my application for a summer vacation scheme at Hogan Lovells.

The questions are quite extensive and require addressing a variety of elements, which has meant that I haven't had much room to link my answer back to HL or to commercial law. Is this something I should be doing?

To summarise: the first question asks about what made an experience in which you collaborated with people from different cultures/backgrounds so enjoyable; the second asks about a time in which you had to raise your game in order to keep a promise, and how you consequently managed your time; the third asks you to demonstrate an innovative/entrepreneurial spirit; and the final asks you to detail anything that makes you stand out from the crowd. All have a 250 word limit.

Many thanks in advance.

I don’t think you necessarily need to link it back to commercial law - unfortunately I don’t know enough about HL to say whether they specifically ask for this though.

It could easily be the case they don’t actually care about that information and so don’t ask for it.

Reactions: EEE

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

Many thanks in advance.

I don't think it's necessary for the three competency questions. As the final question also mentions further information, you could bring in references to commercial law/Hogan Lovells there (e.g. quite a few apps I see discuss their experiences and then tie in why it makes them a good fit for the firm).

EEE

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 4, 2019
    I don’t think you necessarily need to link it back to commercial law - unfortunately I don’t know enough about HL to say whether they specifically ask for this though.

It could easily be the case they don’t actually care about that information and so don’t ask for it.

Thank you for such a quick response, Jessica. I'll keep that in mind.

I don't think it's necessary for the three competency questions. As the final question also mentions further information, you could bring in references to commercial law/Hogan Lovells there (e.g. quite a few apps I see discuss their experiences and then tie in why it makes them a good fit for the firm).

Hi Jaysen, thank you for your reply! That's what I've done so far - I've been talking about the times I've met with the firm, when I was able to tour their office, stand out conversations with representatives and the event I set up for them. Does that sound about right? Or, should I focus more on my qualities vs what they look for?

All the best

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    Thank you for answering questions! When it comes to cover letters for vac schemes, is it wise or not to use 'buzz words'? A lot of people have said that because they have so many applications they need to skim through them.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    Thank you for answering questions! When it comes to cover letters for vac schemes, is it wise or not to use 'buzz words'? A lot of people have said that because they have so many applications they need to skim through them.

Avoid them - Even if they skim read, they will go through the ones they shortlist more thoroughly, and if it just comes across as cliched and glib, although you might get through the first stage, you wouldn’t get through the second.

Abi Simon

Nov 30, 2019
    Hi Jessica! When answering long form questions in TC applications about your goals and the process to achieving them. Is there any type of goal/topic that you would consider to be off limits? for example talking about how you set yourself a goal to improve your grades and elaborating on the process and outcomes. Would firms see that as something you should be doing anyway? Or would it be fine?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica! When answering long form questions in TC applications about your goals and the process to achieving them. Is there any type of goal/topic that you would consider to be off limits? for example talking about how you set yourself a goal to improve your grades and elaborating on the process and outcomes. Would firms see that as something you should be doing anyway? Or would it be fine?

I tend to say to avoid grades just because it’s something probably most applicants have done. There are exceptions to that though - if you have had extra ordinary circumstances that made it very challenging, if you were completely self taught, if you learnt something from scratch that you were very good at/natural at, then the answer might be still suitable.

Whatever the example though, you’ve got to sit there and think, could anyone or most people say this. If the answer is yes, it’s probably not a good idea to use it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.