Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
Very difficult to say what you will specifically be doing. This will depend on so many factors - it’s likely to be “diluted” or simple trainee tasks though.

I don’t think there are things you can do to prepare for tasks before your scheme but there is plenty you can do during your scheme:

take clear notes on what is expected

Don’t be afraid to ask questions to get clarity of the task (how long it should take, deadlines, layouts, formats, processes etc). A lot to vac scheme candidates go wrong by not asking enough questions or the right ones.

make sure you don’t burn the candle at both ends too much. You will be learning and working - that’s a tough combination that needs a lot of focus.

Eat well and keep hydrated - keeping your energy levels up will be important

if you are ever unsure, ask a trainee for their views/advice
Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

tla99

Distinguished Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 18, 2019
Hi Jessica, hope you are well, I have a couple of questions regarding application process/GDL.
1 - I saw that BPP changed its GDL to a PGDL - is this a substantial difference? Or is it just a renaming of the GDL (and therefore do you suggest signing up for this one if I wanted to do a self funded GDL in London next year)?
2 - I was trying to secure some work experience over the summer to strengthen my application but have been struggling because of organisations cancelling their programs due to Covid. Do you have any suggestions on where we could find legal/commercial work experience? Do you think firms will be a little more lenient with requirements on work experience in the next application cycle?
Thank you very much for all your help!!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, hope you are well, I have a couple of questions regarding application process/GDL.
1 - I saw that BPP changed its GDL to a PGDL - is this a substantial difference? Or is it just a renaming of the GDL (and therefore do you suggest signing up for this one if I wanted to do a self funded GDL in London next year)?
2 - I was trying to secure some work experience over the summer to strengthen my application but have been struggling because of organisations cancelling their programs due to Covid. Do you have any suggestions on where we could find legal/commercial work experience? Do you think firms will be a little more lenient with requirements on work experience in the next application cycle?

1) Just seems to be a renaming of it - it would only be a MA if it was substantially different, and the only difference there is an additional extended research project. I suspect it might be a name change to help with the transition to the SQE

2) Try in-house legal teams for any major company in your local area - this is a good way to get experience and often they have more flexibility. This summer will be a strange time for work experience though so I wouldn't get too worried about it. Try and find some of the online learning/internship opportunities too.

Yes - firms will need to be a little more open minded on things like previous employment and also academics for some time to come now (at least the next 4-5 years).

However, firms have been pretty open minded to employment anyway. Holding down a full-time job in a supermarket or delivery service will be looked upon more favourably than doing nothing. However, there will be plenty of people who won't be able to hold down a job due to shielding. I recommend those people learn a new skill (language/coding etc). Showing you are making the most of this situation will be important, no matter what your personal situation.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018

1) I woud contact BPP university, the head of the course is very active on Linkedin. You could ask him to give you his bpp email and start from there.
2) Many firms have introduced virtual internships, check Insidesherpa and there are free courses on Coursera which will good look on your cv and app.

tla99

Distinguished Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 18, 2019
Perfect thank you very much!!
1) Just seems to be a renaming of it - it would only be a MA if it was substantially different, and the only difference there is an additional extended research project. I suspect it might be a name change to help with the transition to the SQE

2) Try in-house legal teams for any major company in your local area - this is a good way to get experience and often they have more flexibility. This summer will be a strange time for work experience though so I wouldn't get too worried about it. Try and find some of the online learning/internship opportunities too.

Yes - firms will need to be a little more open minded on things like previous employment and also academics for some time to come now (at least the next 4-5 years).

However, firms have been pretty open minded to employment anyway. Holding down a full-time job in a supermarket or delivery service will be looked upon more favourably than doing nothing. However, there will be plenty of people who won't be able to hold down a job due to shielding. I recommend those people learn a new skill (language/coding etc). Showing you are making the most of this situation will be important, no matter what your personal situation.

tla99

Distinguished Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 18, 2019
1) I woud contact BPP university, the head of the course is very active on Linkedin. You could ask him to give you his bpp email and start from there.
2) Many firms have introduced virtual internships, check Insidesherpa and there are free courses on Coursera which will good look on your cv and app.
Nice will do thanks!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker,

How would you go about answering the following question in an interview:

"What would you do if a Partner hands you work when you are already overloaded with other things to do?"

Thanks! :)
You need to show your ability to evaluate your tasks and multitask multiple deadlines. In the workplace you will be requested to carry out many tasks at the same time. Check your deadlines, check what has priority, is there an imminent hearing, is there an imminent signing or disclosure? Can you reach out for your supervisor? It also very important that you backup with a practical example..exams or other situations?

That's my 2 cent

Reactions: MarathonNotaSprint

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hey everyone, if a firm mentions its Assessment Day activities very clearly on the website, can we skip preparing for the ones that it doesn't talk about, or is there a chance that they will throw in a random out of the blue activity? Has it ever happened? @Jessica Booker
Thanks in advance.
If you are invited to an assessment day they will send you an email telling you what to expect on the day.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone, if a firm mentions its Assessment Day activities very clearly on the website, can we skip preparing for the ones that it doesn't talk about, or is there a chance that they will throw in a random out of the blue activity? Has it ever happened? @Jessica Booker
Thanks in advance.

Does it state elsewhere other exercises? Or are you assuming other exercises will happen?

I would only expect the exercises they mention on the details when they invite you to the interview/assessment centre.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica,

I have a question regarding the WG test. Can one achieve 100% in each section or only 100% overall? I seem to be stuck at 88% for one section for the CC practice test.

Thanks in advance :)

you’d be able to achieve 100% technically in both sections or overall.

don’t fixate on percentages though as that’s not how they are assessed/marked

Reactions: S87

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Does it state elsewhere other exercises? Or are you assuming other exercises will happen?

I would only expect the exercises they mention on the details when they invite you to the interview/assessment centre.
I was looking at Freshfield's website and they clearly talk about conducting 3 exercises on that day, a written exercise, a case study and a partner interview. So if a website lays out everything so clearly, we need not expect surprises right?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was looking at Freshfield's website and they clearly talk about conducting 3 exercises on that day, a written exercise, a case study and a partner interview. So if a website lays out everything so clearly, we need not expect surprises right?

that’s exactly what you would experience. If they changed anything, they would tell you at the point of being invited to email. In the case of Freshfields, they have been using that format for at least 11 years.

In times like this, exercises are changing - things are being moved online and things like group exercises are being dropped/adapted/changed given the lack of mobility. But you would be informed about that when you got the invite to that stage.

Jason S

Distinguished Member
Apr 3, 2020
At any point during the recruitment process is university attendance checked at all through your academic referee?

I didn’t have the best time at uni and never really left the house so as a result my attendance, apart from one module, is quite literally 0%.

If this is the sort of thing that’s checked, I’m not really sure how I could respond if it was mentioned in an interview?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.