Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
At any point during the recruitment process is university attendance checked at all through your academic referee?

I didn’t have the best time at uni and never really left the house so as a result my attendance, apart from one module, is quite literally 0%.

If this is the sort of thing that’s checked, I’m not really sure how I could respond if it was mentioned in an interview?

many firms ask for an academic reference. It wouldn’t be unknown for attendance to be mentioned in an academic reference.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
that’s exactly what you would experience. If they changed anything, they would tell you at the point of being invited to email. In the case of Freshfields, they have been using that format for at least 11 years.

In times like this, exercises are changing - things are being moved online and things like group exercises are being dropped/adapted/changed given the lack of mobility. But you would be informed about that when you got the invite to that stage.
Thanks a lot!

NA27

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 19, 2020
Hi Jessica!

Thank you so much for your help. I am currently a non-law graduate in the first year of a (two-year) LLB with Senior Status. This makes me eligible to apply for training contracts in the summer application cycle. I am interested in applying to firms which recruit a significant number of trainees through direct TC apps, particularly Slaughter & May, Freshfields and Norton Rose Fulbright.

However, I am unsure if this will be of any benefit as I have not done any vacation schemes (I do have non-assessed legal work experience and other finance work-experience). Would you be able to advise on how the recruitment process might be different for direct TC apps, specifically at these firms? Are there any ways through which I can overcome my no vac scheme disadvantage?

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica!

Thank you so much for your help. I am currently a non-law graduate in the first year of a (two-year) LLB with Senior Status. This makes me eligible to apply for training contracts in the summer application cycle. I am interested in applying to firms which recruit a significant number of trainees through direct TC apps, particularly Slaughter & May, Freshfields and Norton Rose Fulbright.

However, I am unsure if this will be of any benefit as I have not done any vacation schemes (I do have non-assessed legal work experience and other finance work-experience). Would you be able to advise on how the recruitment process might be different for direct TC apps, specifically at these firms? Are there any ways through which I can overcome my no vac scheme disadvantage?

Thank you.

It won’t be any different. The process will be the same.

You’ll need clear rationale for why you want the job, and be able to demonstrate the relevant skills needed through other experiences.

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
Hi Jessica, I don't know if you would have any personal experience of this but I thought I may ask anyway! I have spent a year working within the legal industry and hated the experience. Mostly because I did not feel like the environment was right for me. I am now really confused because I have invested a lot of time and effort into getting where I am today and after that experience am questioning whether law is even for me. Do you know of many people who have felt like this and went onto find somewhere that was right for them? I don't know whether to consider moving out of law.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I don't know if you would have any personal experience of this but I thought I may ask anyway! I have spent a year working within the legal industry and hated the experience. Mostly because I did not feel like the environment was right for me. I am now really confused because I have invested a lot of time and effort into getting where I am today and after that experience am questioning whether law is even for me. Do you know of many people who have felt like this and went onto find somewhere that was right for them? I don't know whether to consider moving out of law.

This happens all the time! Thousands of people will experience this at some point and decide on an alternative career route.

I only have to look at my network and see people who thought law was for them and now work in a whole range of jobs and industries (and know that’s because they didn’t want to do the job because they turned the firm I worked for down).

Many who even attempt to stick it out (and ultimately hate it) will decide to try a different career by the time they qualify or shortly after they do.

Remember it might just be that particular law firm/environment that might be the issue. Think about whether you hated the work or whether you hated the environment - some sectors within law/ some different firms will feel very different to others.

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
This happens all the time! Thousands of people will experience this at some point and decide on an alternative career route.

I only have to look at my network and see people who thought law was for them and now work in a whole range of jobs and industries (and know that’s because they didn’t want to do the job because they turned the firm I worked for down).

Many who even attempt to stick it out (and ultimately hate it) will decide to try a different career by the time they qualify or shortly after they do.

Remember it might just be that particular law firm/environment that might be the issue. Think about whether you hated the work or whether you hated the environment - some sectors within law/ some different firms will feel very different to others.

I completely understand that! Objectively how do you go about finding a firm that fits you? I have attended Open Days and researched firms but all you ever see is the shiny exterior. A firm may say they have an open door policy with approachable partners but in reality that could not be further from the truth. How do you get past the glossy brochures and find out truthfully what a firm is like?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I completely understand that! Objectively how do you go about finding a firm that fits you? I have attended Open Days and researched firms but all you ever see is the shiny exterior. A firm may say they have an open door policy with approachable partners but in reality that could not be further from the truth. How do you get past the glossy brochures and find out truthfully what a firm is like?

you speak to people who have worked there, particularly if they have left

you look on glassdoor

you work there

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

SH414

Jan 26, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker. I was thinking of applying to Pinsent Masons and noticed today that they have a virtual work experience programme. Do you think it would benefit me in the eyes of the firm to do this/if i dont do it it will look bad as I've had a look and it will take quite a long time on top of my job this week

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker. I was thinking of applying to Pinsent Masons and noticed today that they have a virtual work experience programme. Do you think it would benefit me in the eyes of the firm to do this/if i dont do it it will look bad as I've had a look and it will take quite a long time on top of my job this week

you don’t have to do it

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica, also I've noticed their application leaves you space to upload a CV, but there is no mention of a cover letter, do you think this is necessary given their application questions about why the firm etc. are all quite long (4000 characters)?

they aren’t asking for a cover letter, so don’t include one.

Ben1897

Jan 20, 2020
If you have a training contract offer on the table (with a time limit for acceptance), and you have vacation schemes at two firms due to go ahead in summer (either in real life or virtually), is it advisable to ask the latter two firms whether they'd be willing to offer a direct TC? If so, has there ever been success in it? For context, I'd prefer to train at either of the latter two firms.

Apologies if this question has been asked hundreds of times but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you have a training contract offer on the table (with a time limit for acceptance), and you have vacation schemes at two firms due to go ahead in summer (either in real life or virtually), is it advisable to ask the latter two firms whether they'd be willing to offer a direct TC? If so, has there ever been success in it? For context, I'd prefer to train at either of the latter two firms.

Apologies if this question has been asked hundreds of times but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Several options here, some of which can be done in conjunction with one another:

1) ask the firm you have a TC offer with whether they can extend the deadline to after your vacation schemes end

2) Accept the TC offer and then renege it at a later date if you get other offers you would prefer

3) Ask your vac scheme firms to transfer you to a TC recruitment process instead

All of the above options are feasible and happen regularly across firms. Really depends on the firm’s policies/approach and obviously what the individual wants to do too.

Some caveats:

- check the T&Cs of your vac scheme and TC offers - some may say you can’t hold an offer by another firm and work for them, or that if you do you need to declare it first and get permission.

- if you have received any financial support from the firm you have a TC with, this complicates the above. At best you will need to pay back that finance immediately should you renege their offer (so be aware you need the funds in your account).

Last edited:
Reactions: gg999

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Jessica,

In your opinion would you say that becoming a brand ambassador for one firm could disadvantage your applications to other firms?

Thanks!
if the firm you are an ambassador for is wildly different to the one you are applying to then it might be that they test your motivations more at interview perhaps. However, firms know these are competitive positions and that students might apply quite broadly for these sorts of things and these positions can really bolster CVs so they’re definitely something which will act more in your favour.

• ℹ️
Reactions: JW and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.