Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

hashneevvora

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2018
Hello Jessica,
I have quick question, how would you go about answering this question, "Why do you want to be trainee solicitor in a transactional focused firmed?". I having a difficult time organising my thoughts for this question.
Thanks in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jessica,
I have quick question, how would you go about answering this question, "Why do you want to be trainee solicitor in a transactional focused firmed?". I having a difficult time organising my thoughts for this question.
Thanks in advance

tricky for me to answer this - structure is going to be dependent on why you want to work in transactional based firm.

key thing to understand is the difference between more advisory type legal work (eg employment/tax/competition), dispute legal work, and transactional legal work, and then explain why the latter suits you better in your answer.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker

Sorry if this is a silly question, when uploading my FF personal statement to the portal, do you do it in a PDF format or a Word format?

And do you state the word count at the bottom of the PS?

Many thanks!
There should be a word doc you can download which is their template for you to put the PS in. Check the portal as it is a link I think which you can download :) I can’t quite remember exactly but pretty sure the template word doc I’m speaking about has a spot for you to input your word count.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Sorry if this is a silly question, when uploading my FF personal statement to the portal, do you do it in a PDF format or a Word format?

And do you state the word count at the bottom of the PS?

Many thanks!

Process has changed since I was there. Just used to be part of the application form, so sounds like they have a different ATS. I’d follow Alice’s advice given she’s been successful

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019
There should be a word doc you can download which is their template for you to put the PS in. Check the portal as it is a link I think which you can download :) I can’t quite remember exactly but pretty sure the template word doc I’m speaking about has a spot for you to input your word count.
Thanks @Alice G so did you upload the PS in a WORD format then? :) The reason I’m saying this is because some of my friends have submitted it in a PDF format and still managed to get to the AC? So is there a preference?

Last edited:
  • 📥
Reactions: gg999

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thanks Alice, so did you upload the PS in a WORD format then? :)
Have you found the PS template I’m speaking about which you can download from their system? It is a word document so you can just paste in your 800 words and add your word count and re-upload that back into the system.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks @Alice G so did you upload the PS in a WORD format then? :) The reason I’m saying this is because some of my friends have submitted it in a PDF format and still managed to get to the AC? So is there a preference?

clearly no preference as long as you use the form they need.

If you choose to adapt it to a pdf that’s not an issue. If they wanted a word doc only, it would explicitly be stated in the application.

really wouldn’t worry about this.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and gg999

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I submitted as a word doc, I don’t know of anyone who submitted as a pdf but if you know people who have and had ACs I should think it doesn’t matter. I think so long as you use the template provided you’re fine.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
What is the difference between an Indian student applying to, let's say Linklaters via the India Internship Program ( this is only for the high performing Indian students studying at the top 4 Law Universities in India) , as opposed to an Indian student getting in via the normal route as an International applicant? @Jessica Booker
Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What is the difference between an Indian student applying to, let's say Linklaters via the India Internship Program ( this is only for the high performing Indian students studying at the top 4 Law Universities in India) , as opposed to an Indian student getting in via the normal route as an International applicant? @Jessica Booker
Thanks in advance.

No difference apart from the eligibility criteria

EP

Standard Member
Mar 22, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I am currently a Legal Secretary at a silver circle firm and applying for training contracts at present. During my research I noticed that there were very few legal secretaries who have gone on to get TC’s and subsequently become solicitors.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by not getting experience as a paralegal instead ? And do firms look at secretarial experience as not very favourable?

Many thanks,
Elana

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Jessica,

I am currently a Legal Secretary at a silver circle firm and applying for training contracts at present. During my research I noticed that there were very few legal secretaries who have gone on to get TC’s and subsequently become solicitors.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by not getting experience as a paralegal instead ? And do firms look at secretarial experience as not very favourable?

Many thanks,
Elana
All experience is good experience - secretarial or otherwise. Paralegal positions are very competitive and firms know this so I wouldn't worry about this at all. What you need to do is leverage the experience you do have and write about it in an engaging way where you draw out what you have learned and how this can apply to a law firm.

This is something for everyone too - do not focus on what you perceive yourself as not having - focus on making the best of what experiences you have had.

Office experience as a secretary will have taught you a great deal which will be highly transferable to working as a solicitor. You just need to really focus on your writing and content to ensure you are making the best of it.

EP

Standard Member
Mar 22, 2020
All experience is good experience - secretarial or otherwise. Paralegal positions are very competitive and firms know this so I wouldn't worry about this at all. What you need to do is leverage the experience you do have and write about it in an engaging way where you draw out what you have learned and how this can apply to a law firm.

This is something for everyone too - do not focus on what you perceive yourself as not having - focus on making the best of what experiences you have had.

Office experience as a secretary will have taught you a great deal which will be highly transferable to working as a solicitor. You just need to really focus on your writing and content to ensure you are making the best of it.

It is hard not to fall into the trap of focussing on what you don’t have! Thanks for the tips Alice, this is encouraging.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
It is hard not to fall into the trap of focussing on what you don’t have! Thanks for the tips Alice, this is encouraging.
Don't worry - we have all done it but believe me it doesn't matter. I managed to get two vac schemes last year with no prior legal experience other than attending open days and evening events and so I truly think it is all about working with and making the best of what you do have!

• 🤝
Reactions: EP and Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Many thanks,
Elana

One of my favourite trainees was a legal secretary before joining the firm I worked at (and yes, I did have favourites :D). I can think of at least 2 more who came from this background.

Vast majority of legal secretaries don't have ambitions to become lawyers - the number of applications firms will receive from these people could probably be counted on one hand per cycle. So it isn't that it is an issue in the eyes of the potential employer, more the flow of talent.

Even those who do look to convert, may not have the education/academics to take that route. A lot of secretaries don't hold degrees or may not meet A-level criteria.

Alice's advice is spot on - completely echo it.

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and Alice G

EP

Standard Member
Mar 22, 2020
One of my favourite trainees was a legal secretary before joining the firm I worked at (and yes, I did have favourites :D). I can think of at least 2 more who came from this background.

Vast majority of legal secretaries don't have ambitions to become lawyers - the number of applications firms will receive from these people could probably be counted on one hand per cycle. So it isn't that it is an issue in the eyes of the potential employer, more the flow of talent.

Even those who do look to convert, may not have the education/academics to take that route. A lot of secretaries don't hold degrees or may not meet A-level criteria.

Alice's advice is spot on - completely echo it.

Haha that puts me in good stead then! And that does make a lot of sense what you said regarding career ambition within the secretarial role, along with education criteria.

Thank you Jessica and Alice, this has been very helpful :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.