Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
Oct 18, 2019
I think you need to have a conversation with your vac scheme firm on Monday about this. given your last day is the 28th and Monday 31st is a bank holiday, there’s a very strong chance the firm is not going to be able to meet your deadline. So you need to frame it in a way that is more a case of saying “ if I am fortunate to get an offer, could I do the LPC at another provider?” and explain your deadline.

You are then going to have to make a decision based on what they say and weighing up what you think is the best route to take.

It’s likely you are going to have to make a decision on the LPC before you know whether you have a TC with them or not though.

You may need to consider withdrawing from the ULaw course and taking the risk that you don’t start the LPC this September. You could start in January though (if you don’t secure the TC).

Thank you Jessica, this is really helpful advice! I will give the graduate recruitment team at the firm a call tomorrow and I will see what they say.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Thank you Jessica, this is really helpful advice! I will give the graduate recruitment team at the firm a call tomorrow and I will see what they say.
I don’t really know anything about these things but what would happen if you turned down your place at UoL and then if you don’t end up getting the TC you tell them you’ve changed your mind? I know the course would have already started but they might let you start it late?

Reactions: Ayo Babatunde

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
Oct 18, 2019
I don’t really know anything about these things but what would happen if you turned down your place at UoL and then if you don’t end up getting the TC you tell them you’ve changed your mind? I know the course would have already started but they might let you start it late?

Hahaha yeah neither I don’t know much about these things, yeah that’s true that’s an option I could take. I guess the only thing with that is because it’s getting so close to the course start date, I am unsure how willing Ulaw would be to give me an offer after rejecting it initially (but then to be fair as I said I’m not expert on this at all lol).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hahaha yeah neither I don’t know much about these things, yeah that’s true that’s an option I could take. I guess the only thing with that is because it’s getting so close to the course start date, I am unsure how willing Ulaw would be to give me an offer after rejecting it initially (but then to be fair as I said I’m not expert on this at all lol).

ULaw aren’t particularly picky (neither are BPP) - they will just want to make sure the course is at a good capacity so they earn enough £££

Jawad Elazar

May 23, 2020
@Jessica Booker

Hi Jessica,

I have just begun an internship at a law firm today. Also, I am currently applying for work experience in another firm and need to attach my CV to said application. Having just started my internship, am I able to add it to my CV, or would you suggest that I leave it out? If I should add it, what would you recommend I write in the description section - given that I have not experienced much in the first day?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

Hi Jessica,

I have just begun an internship at a law firm today. Also, I am currently applying for work experience in another firm and need to attach my CV to said application. Having just started my internship, am I able to add it to my CV, or would you suggest that I leave it out? If I should add it, what would you recommend I write in the description section - given that I have not experienced much in the first day?

Thanks in advance for your help!

It is fine to add it but you won’t be able to put much of a description beyond which department you are sitting in.

Joe R

Standard Member
Dec 3, 2018
Hi Jessica,

I interviewed at Slaughters in 2018 but it was my first interview and it unsurprisingly didn't go well.

I have done a fair bit in the past 2 yrs and was considering reapplying, but their website says they do not tend to reinterview candidates.

Is it worth even a speculative application? I don't want to put the effort in if its automatically going to go into the rejected pile.

Many thanks for your help!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I interviewed at Slaughters in 2018 but it was my first interview and it unsurprisingly didn't go well.

I have done a fair bit in the past 2 yrs and was considering reapplying, but their website says they do not tend to reinterview candidates.

Is it worth even a speculative application? I don't want to put the effort in if its automatically going to go into the rejected pile.

Many thanks for your help!
    If I were you, I'd get in contact with the graduate recruitment team and ask for their advice, explaining how your profile has changed in the intervening 2 years. Worst they can say is don't bother, in which case on to the next one :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I were you, I'd get in contact with the graduate recruitment team and ask for their advice, explaining how your profile has changed in the intervening 2 years. Worst they can say is don't bother, in which case on to the next one :)

Completely agree with this advice. Given the circumstances, this is something to get in contact with the firm about and ask them specifically. You might get a vague/unhelpful response but I think this is the best course of action at this stage and then weigh up from there.

Lawgrad98

Jul 23, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

My three-month summer scheme in the MoJ has been deferred to next year due to the pandemic. In the meantime, I have been able to secure an administrative role in HMCTS. I was wondering if this role would be considered as relevant experience in my upcoming TC/VS applications?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

My three-month summer scheme in the MoJ has been deferred to next year due to the pandemic. In the meantime, I have been able to secure an administrative role in HMCTS. I was wondering if this role would be considered as relevant experience in my upcoming TC/VS applications?

Thanks!

why would it not be relevant? Any work experience is good for an application (even part time work in retail/hospitality). It is up to you as an applicant to explain its relevance.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 26, 2019
    Hi Jessica and input from anyone else would be appreciated!

Firstly, thank you so much for the resources made available on this site!

It would be great if I could get your advice on my application strategy: I graduated with a law degree in 2015 (first-class). Since then I've worked in two in-house multinational businesses and gained some good experience. During the last app cycle I had two TC interviews at City law firms. On both I passed the first HR interviews but slightly fell-down on the partner/case-study interviews.

Do you think I should still be focusing on direct TC applications along with open days/law fairs/virtual events or should I try applying for vacation schemes (as it seems a lot of firms prioritise candidates that have undertaken a VS). Do you think the fact I graduated in 2015 in an issue here too?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica and input from anyone else would be appreciated!

Firstly, thank you so much for the resources made available on this site!

It would be great if I could get your advice on my application strategy: I graduated with a law degree in 2015 (first-class). Since then I've worked in two in-house multinational businesses and gained some good experience. During the last app cycle I had two TC interviews at City law firms. On both I passed the first HR interviews but slightly fell-down on the partner/case-study interviews.

Do you think I should still be focusing on direct TC applications along with open days/law fairs/virtual events or should I try applying for vacation schemes (as it seems a lot of firms prioritise candidates that have undertaken a VS). Do you think the fact I graduated in 2015 in an issue here too?

Any advice would be appreciated.

generally for career changers I advise to focus on TC applications and supplement with open days as you have suggested. However if a firm recruits heavily or solely from their vacation schemes, then obviously apply for a vacation scheme instead (if you are eligible).

Some vacation schemes you won’t be eligible for. But if you can apply as a graduate then it isn’t an issue that you graduated in 2015.

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    I’m applying for paralegal roles at the moment and I have a couple of interviews this week. A recruiter has just asked me if I have any other upcoming interviews and I’m not sure what to reply - do I be honest or could the recruiter be put off by my other interviews? Why do they ask this question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’m applying for paralegal roles at the moment and I have a couple of interviews this week. A recruiter has just asked me if I have any other upcoming interviews and I’m not sure what to reply - do I be honest or could the recruiter be put off by my other interviews? Why do they ask this question?

They aren’t going to be put off by a competitive candidate. Just be honest - you don’t have to provide every detail, just saying when your other interviews are/what stage you are at is fine.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Penelope

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2019
    Hi Jess I am applying for a firm with this question;
    * Describe a challenging situation you have faced, what made it challenging, how did you respond and what did you learn in the process? (250 words)
    Im trying to change course with my TC applications and rather than focus all my questions on work related examples I wanted to try a personal anecdote. I wanted to talk about how I moved countries and had to start education in a new country twice in four years. Do you think this is something that firms respond to or would they rather hear about work examples? Thanks!

Nerak

Aug 18, 2020
    Hi Jess,
    I am an international student and have just graduated with a 2.1.
    I have not yet secured a training contract and am looking to self-fund my LPC from January 2021.
    I am aware that the system is changing and I may be able to stay for another 2 years after my LPC if I combine it with an MSC/LLM.

I feel there are more cons than pros to doing the LPC self-funded. I am also considering taking a year out and applying for an LLM starting in September 2021 and have some time to apply for training contracts while studying.

With the immigration changes, I'm not sure if this is necessary to do or if I should go ahead and do the LPC and hope to secure a training contract in that year.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess I am applying for a firm with this question;
    * Describe a challenging situation you have faced, what made it challenging, how did you respond and what did you learn in the process? (250 words)
    Im trying to change course with my TC applications and rather than focus all my questions on work related examples I wanted to try a personal anecdote. I wanted to talk about how I moved countries and had to start education in a new country twice in four years. Do you think this is something that firms respond to or would they rather hear about work examples? Thanks!

I think it is always important to show multiple dimensions to you as an applicant. Therefore if your answers are all work related, will you really be able to demonstrate that? I am currently drafting some new TCLA content and the key theme that keeps coming up is about balance. Too many people over egg something’s at the expense of demonstrating something else. If you think your answers will show a better variety, I am confident that in most instances this will be perceived better than seeming much more one dimensional.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess,
    I am an international student and have just graduated with a 2.1.
    I have not yet secured a training contract and am looking to self-fund my LPC from January 2021.
    I am aware that the system is changing and I may be able to stay for another 2 years after my LPC if I combine it with an MSC/LLM.

I feel there are more cons than pros to doing the LPC self-funded. I am also considering taking a year out and applying for an LLM starting in September 2021 and have some time to apply for training contracts while studying.

With the immigration changes, I'm not sure if this is necessary to do or if I should go ahead and do the LPC and hope to secure a training contract in that year.

for you to be eligible for the graduate immigration visa coming in 2021, you have to take a masters level course. A standard LPC won’t meet this criteria where it is effectively only a post-graduate diploma.

Even if you choose to do either an LLM or an LPC intergrated masters, starting anytime between now and January, you will still not have enough time on your graduate immigration visa to complete a training contract. The only benefit from this is that you could stay in the U.K. for interviews/assessment centres (which is less important these days thanks to virtual methods).

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I was wondering what would be the recommended word limit for cover letters. There are some application forms that ask for a cover letter, but have not specified a word limit.

I have written one cover letter, which has 1000 words (exactly two pages). I am wondering if this would be too much.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.