Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker! I was wondering what would be the recommended word limit for cover letters. There are some application forms that ask for a cover letter, but have not specified a word limit.

I have written one cover letter, which has 1000 words (exactly two pages). I am wondering if this would be too much.

You should really be aiming for a page. Slightly over is ok but two pages is very heavy and I would say too much.

CL20

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was wondering if you have any advice on how to structure an answer about a business story that interests you?

I also wanted to ask how much firms tend to expect you to know about deals they work on?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was wondering if you have any advice on how to structure an answer about a business story that interests you?

I also wanted to ask how much firms tend to expect you to know about deals they work on?

Thanks!

Most people fail to explain (briefly) why the story interests them. That is actually the important part.

Structure really depends on the story but I think it is important to put your opinion/views on it rather than just focusing on the factual elements of the story. Anyone can recite facts from somewhere else they have read it, but putting your analysis on it and in your own words. It becomes very obvious when someone has just copy and pasted the wording from the FT or the Economist, as those publishers are writing in a very different style to what you do as an applicant.

They don’t really need you to “know” about deals. What they need you to do is analyse the elements of those deals. Again reciting facts is not really the point, but analysing the whys/wheres/whatabouts/whos is.

Reactions: AllG and S87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, just wondering if you have any advice on a question asking about where i'd like to go on secondment? I have lots of reasons but not really sure what they are looking for.

Thank you!

They are just finding more about you and your interests/motivations. It isn’t a trick question or one that you need to overthink about.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Most people fail to explain (briefly) why the story interests them. That is actually the important part.

Structure really depends on the story but I think it is important to put your opinion/views on it rather than just focusing on the factual elements of the story. Anyone can recite facts from somewhere else they have read it, but putting your analysis on it and in your own words. It becomes very obvious when someone has just copy and pasted the wording from the FT or the Economist, as those publishers are writing in a very different style to what you do as an applicant.

They don’t really need you to “know” about deals. What they need you to do is analyse the elements of those deals. Again reciting facts is not really the point, but analysing the whys/wheres/whatabouts/whos is.
Thank you as I never considered these aspects.

BLaw

Aug 20, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker

After completing a VS I was told we'd hear back yesterday. While offers and rejections were made yesterday, I received a holding email that I would hear back early next week. Does this happen often and do you know why the firm would delay getting back to me? Thanks!

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker

After completing a VS I was told we'd hear back yesterday. While offers and rejections were made yesterday, I received a holding email that I would hear back early next week. Does this happen often and do you know why the firm would delay getting back to me? Thanks!
Congrats on your vac scheme! What firm was it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Yes - very common.

Could be a whole range of reasons....

- They are still waiting for feedback/your assessors need to catch up to discuss you
- They are waiting for your references
- They have put you on hold while they see whether others accept/decline
- They are waiting for sign off on hiring numbers
- They have to wait for other interviews/assessments to be completed with other candidates

Look at it this way, you haven’t been declined immediately like other candidates. Doesn’t mean it is an offer, but does mean it isn’t a straight forward decision for them like it has been for other candidates.

BLaw

Aug 20, 2020
Yes - very common.

Could be a whole range of reasons....

- They are still waiting for feedback/your assessors need to catch up to discuss you
- They are waiting for your references
- They have put you on hold while they see whether others accept/decline
- They are waiting for sign off on hiring numbers
- They have to wait for other interviews/assessments to be completed with other candidates

Look at it this way, you haven’t been declined immediately like other candidates. Doesn’t mean it is an offer, but does mean it isn’t a straight forward decision for them like it has been for other candidates.

Thank you! This was really helpful - keeping my fingers crossed!

CL20

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019

Thank you!

j2134

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Hi Jessica,

In the work experience section of the Apply4Law portal, how many jobs should Include? Ive had 7+ jobs in all sorts of roles, all low skill. Right now I'm driving a delivery van for instance. I know its worth putting some of these jobs on the app, but surely not every one with 150 words of explanation?

Part of me is slightly embarrassed to put them all/many of them down, is it worth putting the virtual schemes I have attended in these sections? particularly if I am limited to 4 work experiences?

I want to get across the fact I've always worked multiple jobs, but not sure if listing them all is a good idea.

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

In the work experience section of the Apply4Law portal, how many jobs should Include? Ive had 7+ jobs in all sorts of roles, all low skill. Right now I'm driving a delivery van for instance. I know its worth putting some of these jobs on the app, but surely not every one with 150 words of explanation?

Part of me is slightly embarrassed to put them all/many of them down, is it worth putting the virtual schemes I have attended in these sections? particularly if I am limited to 4 work experiences?

I want to get across the fact I've always worked multiple jobs, but not sure if listing them all is a good idea.

I am interested in the answer to this too. I usually put 16 roles down (I actually removed a few mini-pupillages from the list recently otherwise it would be 19) as my work history goes back to 2004/2005.

For example. I worked three jobs (in a supermarket, a restaurant and a nightclub) whilst also at college full-time between 2005 and 2007, which I feel is important to evidence as my BTEC results were terrible as I prioritised paid work (day and night shifts). I do wonder if going that far back is a little OTT, so your opinion would be valued here.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Tushar

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

There isn’t an answer to this unfortunately. However I would always advise to think about how your application presents itself and whether putting in every job you have ever had is helpful especially if you are providing very long, descriptive descriptions of those jobs.

That said, missing out jobs can be one of the biggest mistakes out there. Those jobs people think are irrelevant or embarrassed by are often things that make recruiters think there is far more depth to you as a candidate.

If you are a delivery driver and balancing that with your studies, that shows your ability to time manage and balance conflicting priorities. If I am weighing up someone balancing working 15 hours a week as a delivery driver with a 65% average, I’ll look upon that more favourably than the person who has a 65% average and isn’t balancing a part time job.

I had about 12 different jobs before I even graduated. If it was me, I’d think about whether I could cluster them together. For instance, I did multiple waitressing/bar jobs - I’d probably clump them together and in the description be clearer as to how many hours I did at each - I don’t really need to describe to people what a waitress/barmaid is - the only relevance would be how many hours I did. I’d probably group my temp work together in offices together too.

I’d also think whether everything was completely relevant. The job I did for two weeks one summer and left because I hated it becomes far less important to put down on an application when I have got much better evidence of similar work elsewhere, that shows a greater level of commitment. Some things will supersede others and in those cases, especially if they are short in nature, think about whether it really adds anything to your application.

People can also group things like open days or virtual open days/events together too.

If you take that approach, then it’s feasible your entries get down to a much more manageable to read number. But 7 isn’t an abnormally high number of jobs to have on an application.

Partners are actually impressed when you do the crappy/low skilled work - it often develops character/skills relevant to a job much more than a vacation scheme will.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am interested in the answer to this too. I usually put 16 roles down (I actually removed a few mini-pupillages from the list recently otherwise it would be 19) as my work history goes back to 2004/2005.

For example. I worked three jobs (in a supermarket, a restaurant and a nightclub) whilst also at college full-time between 2005 and 2007, which I feel is important to evidence as my BTEC results were terrible as I prioritised paid work (day and night shifts). I do wonder if going that far back is a little OTT, so your opinion would be valued here.

16 is too many (I’ll bet you haven’t got 16 entries on your CV) - take my advice above on grouping some of them together to make them a much easier for our reader.

jam1999

Star Member
    Feb 24, 2020
    HI @Jessica Booker

I have a few questions about creating a legal CV!
    1. If I have chosen to separate my CV into 'legal work experience' and 'other work experience', can I include work at Citizens Advice Service / Support Through Court / Prisoners' Advice Service and so on as 'legal work experience' or should that only include partner shadowing / vac schemes?
    2. Does it look bad that most of the jobs I have had that consitute as 'other work experience' have not been long-lasting? As I have just finished university, I have spent the last few years working jobs in term-time at university, and then different summer jobs each summer. Therefore, my summer jobs have only lasted a few months and as I moved home each summer, I have had to leave the jobs I was working in Bristol so they are also no more than 9 months or so.
    3. Is it worth grouping jobs together e.g I have nannied for various different families and I have worked in a few different bars? This seems to make far more sense (otherwise the whole thing is so repetitive) but the issue is if I group the jobs, I cant put down one employer or clear dates in which I worked in this industry. Any tips?
    Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    1) yes - fine to group them in legal work experience. Some people to choose to separate their work experience again into commercial/non-commercial. Some people also put the experiences you have mentioned in their extra curriculars or in voluntary role sections - guess it really depends on the role and what you think works with your CV and how things fit in altogether.

2) If everything on your application looks short term that can be a concern. That doesn’t have to just be work experience though, that could be things like extra curriculars too. “Stickability” is something most firms look for given the investment they make into your training

3) Just answered this - see the above few posts. You can put “Various” as an employer and a range of dates and then clarify the detail in the description: eg Pub 1: 01/10/18 - 28/02/19; Pub 2: 01/07/19 - 28/09/19

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.