Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Legalgrad95

Junior Lawyer
Jan 12, 2019
Hi Jessica, I graduated from uni this May with a first overall, I did legal work experience in my home country, and I have had several office jobs and jobs in the hospitality industry. However, I am 25 and I have not done a VC in the UK. I will be applying to Open Days and VC this cycle and I wanted to know whether you think that being 25 is a disadvantage considering I wouldn't be starting a TC until I'm at least 29?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I graduated from uni this May with a first overall, I did legal work experience in my home country, and I have had several office jobs and jobs in the hospitality industry. However, I am 25 and I have not done a VC in the UK. I will be applying to Open Days and VC this cycle and I wanted to know whether you think that being 25 is a disadvantage considering I wouldn't be starting a TC until I'm at least 29?

Average age of a trainee is 28, so it clearly won’t be an issue.

jam1999

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
Working on my CV Extra-Curriculars section:
I wrote for a youth magazine as a teenager in my local area.
At university, I was on the committee for a student magazine.
Is it worth me grouping these together or should they be separate extra-curricular activities? If i should group, what should i title it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Working on my CV Extra-Curriculars section:
I wrote for a youth magazine as a teenager in my local area.
At university, I was on the committee for a student magazine.
Is it worth me grouping these together or should they be separate extra-curricular activities? If i should group, what should i title it?

you could put them together under a heading of student journalism. Depends what you think works best. Some people will want to keep it as two separate entries to make it clear that they were busy at different times; others with lots of other curriculars might group them together.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker! Concerning interview questions on the firm's deals, how much should one know about the transaction? I've written one or two deals in my cover letters and have a brief understanding of the rationales of the transaction, however I'm wondering how much I'm expected to know about the deal in the event that the firm quizzes me on it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker! Concerning interview questions on the firm's deals, how much should one know about the transaction? I've written one or two deals in my cover letters and have a brief understanding of the rationales of the transaction, however I'm wondering how much I'm expected to know about the deal in the event that the firm quizzes me on it.

I think this is sometimes the danger on putting deals in your application. You should only be doing so if you have a real genuine interest and knowledge of them, and so you willing and able to talk about them in depth.

As I have said a few posts back though, it’s not really about knowing the facts. It’s about analysing the matter and holding an opinion about it.

I used to say at events, I don’t need you to know what the price of oil is today or what the FTSE 100 is at today, as I am not recruiting you for another 2-3 years and so factual information like this becomes completely irrelevant. What I need to you to be able to do is put together your rationale as to why you think the price of oil is high/low/increasing/decreasing or why the FTSE 100 is at a high/low/decline/improving. That analytical skill is what I am looking for - not the ability to recite factual things, which to be frank anyone can do.

The same applies to deals/cases/matters.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
I think this is sometimes the danger on putting deals in your application. You should only be doing so if you have a real genuine interest and knowledge of them, and so you willing and able to talk about them in depth.

As I have said a few posts back though, it’s not really about knowing the facts. It’s about analysing the matter and holding an opinion about it.

I used to say at events, I don’t need you to know what the price of oil is today or what the FTSE 100 is at today, as I am not recruiting you for another 2-3 years and so factual information like this becomes completely irrelevant. What I need to you to be able to do is put together your rationale as to why you think the price of oil is high/low/increasing/decreasing or why the FTSE 100 is at a high/low/decline/improving. That analytical skill is what I am looking for - not the ability to recite factual things, which to be frank anyone can do.

The same applies to deals/cases/matters.

Hi @Jessica,

Thank you for your response. I wrote about one significant M&A energy transaction which the firm was involved in. I found the deal to be quite interesting, which was why I included it. I have knowledge about:
  • The rationales of the acquisition given the companies' objectives.
  • What they wanted to achieve from the acquisition.
  • How the companies financed the acquisition.
Not really sure if this would be deemed sufficient knowledge though! :/

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica,

Thank you for your response. I wrote about one significant M&A energy transaction which the firm was involved in. I found the deal to be quite interesting, which was why I included it. I have knowledge about:
  • The rationales of the acquisition given the companies' objectives.
  • What they wanted to achieve from the acquisition.
  • How the companies financed the acquisition.
Not really sure if this would be deemed sufficient knowledge though! :/

I think you are trying to define something that doesn’t exist - there isn’t a “Sufficient knowledge” level of one deal. That’s not what they are interested in - knowledge like this has a life span. What they are assessing is your interest in the subject matter and your analytical skills.

Reactions: Tintin06

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think you are trying to define something that doesn’t exist - there isn’t a “Sufficient knowledge” level of one deal. That’s not what they are interested in - knowledge like this has a life span. What they are assessing is your interest in the subject matter and your analytical skills.

To explain this a bit better, I have seen plenty of people get things wrong when describing deals to partners. However, they have just misunderstood a technicality or haven’t fully understood the practical applications. However, they have spoken about it with enthusiasm and also have shown analysis that was right based on the knowledge they did have.

Lawyers/Partners know they can correct/further the technical knowledge of a trainee - that will come with time and experience while they train and develop. But lawyers can’t give trainees the want to learn about these topics, nor make them enthusiastic about the subject matter (this is something that will generally make their job easier and more pleasant too).

So you interest and analysis will always win out over “knowledge”.

jam1999

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
if im putting part time work as a nanny on my cv, do i have to state the employer? is it ok to simply write 'private client'? Due to confidentiality reasons, I dont necessarily want to put the names of families on my cv unless im providing them as a reference

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
if im putting part time work as a nanny on my cv, do i have to state the employer? is it ok to simply write 'private client'? Due to confidentiality reasons, I dont necessarily want to put the names of families on my cv unless im providing them as a reference

Yes, that’s fine.

Rosettie

Standard Member
Feb 5, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker - I'm in the middle of an application and one of the questions asks 'Please tell us anything further about yourself in support of your application' - does this just mean anything I like e.g. charity work, academic awards etc.? Or is there something specific I should include?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker - I'm in the middle of an application and one of the questions asks 'Please tell us anything further about yourself in support of your application' - does this just mean anything I like e.g. charity work, academic awards etc.? Or is there something specific I should include?

It depends what else you have been asked in your application.

Depending on the format of the application, charity work could be in your work experience or extra curriculars. The academic awards could be in your academic section.

There isn’t any specific that firms are looking for you to cover in this question. It is just your opportunity to explain anything you think is relevant that hasn’t naturally fitted into other sections.

It can also be an opportunity to explain things like extenuating circumstances or clarify things that may need clarifying (eg resits, gap years, significant gaps in your application, grading clarification). Lots of applicants don’t put anything or much into these sections/questions as they have managed to just put everything they need to in other sections.

Rosettie

Standard Member
Feb 5, 2020
It depends what else you have been asked in your application.

Depending on the format of the application, charity work could be in your work experience or extra curriculars. The academic awards could be in your academic section.

There isn’t any specific that firms are looking for you to cover in this question. It is just your opportunity to explain anything you think is relevant that hasn’t naturally fitted into other sections.

It can also be an opportunity to explain things like extenuating circumstances or clarify things that may need clarifying (eg resits, gap years, significant gaps in your application, grading clarification). Lots of applicants don’t put anything or much into these sections/questions as they have managed to just put everything they need to in other sections.

Great, thank you! There is only 2 other questions (why them and why the TC) and the work experience section only allows for 4 entries so I felt like I had a lot more to mention.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Great, thank you! There is only 2 other questions (why them and why the TC) and the work experience section only allows for 4 entries so I felt like I had a lot more to mention.

You’ll just have to be super concise and well structured then. I would make sure it doesn’t just sound like a list of things you have done but reference why you think it’s important to mention them (albeit briefly)

Lawgrad98

Jul 23, 2019
Hi Jessica,

What are your thoughts about doing paralegal work at my family business? I have the chance to work for my family's business (a private holding company) and gain exposure to commercial law (there are large-scale ongoing commercial disputes, m&a, employment contracts involved). Will the fact that this is a family business be viewed negatively in my applications (ie nepotism)? Or can I just not disclose that it is family-owned? The alternative is doing a low-skill job at a magistrates court, I am wondering if I should do that instead due to the concerns I mentioned.

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

What are your thoughts about doing paralegal work at my family business? I have the chance to work for my family's business (a private holding company) and gain exposure to commercial law (there are large-scale ongoing commercial disputes, m&a, employment contracts involved). Will the fact that this is a family business be viewed negatively in my applications (ie nepotism)? Or can I just not disclose that it is family-owned? The alternative is doing a low-skill job at a magistrates court, I am wondering if I should do that instead due to the concerns I mentioned.

Thank you!

Nepotism happens - it’s not going to make you look bad as long as you are making the most of the job and learning from it. You also don’t have to declare it as a family business unless it is obvious from the name, or if you are explicitly asked about how you acquired the job.

I think you need to weigh up which job is going to give you the right skills and experience for the career you are wanting to go into.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was rejected after my vacation scheme in 2019 and I am thinking about going through application process again this year. I've worked on the feedback I've received and have gained more experience. How would firms view me applying for a direct TC? (I believe that would be better as I have a lots of legal experience and a vac scheme in the bank already).

Many thanks

Depends on the firm unfortunately - some would be happy to receive another application, particularly if it was clear you had worked on the feedback. Others less so.

If you have worked for the firm, I would contact them and ask them to give their thoughts on you reapplying. Its unfortunately one of those things where there is no general answer, so it requires the firm to tell you based on their opinion.

Gayane

Mar 17, 2020
Hi Jessica,
I am planning to apply for A & O Vac. Scheme.
There is a question asking: 'If you could introduce a new law what would that be and why?'
I am not sure how to approach this question for start. Would appreciate any guidance and tips from you.
Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
I am planning to apply for A & O Vac. Scheme.
There is a question asking: 'If you could introduce a new law what would that be and why?'
I am not sure how to approach this question for start. Would appreciate any guidance and tips from you.
Thank you.

You might want to read this thread on the topic - A&O - introduce a law question

I have put some of my thoughts together on there, as have other members.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.