Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've had open days with CC, Orrick & Reed Smith. Interviewed at RS & Orrick so I think that's the level I should continue to aim at then?

I don’t think you necessarily have to limit yourself to those firms. Academics are a very small part of an application, so it really depends on the strength of the rest of your application

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Just wondering your view on this - do graduate recruitment/partners at interviews ever think perhaps someone has too much going on to concentrate on a career in law? e.g. if they have different projects going on that they're doing simultaneously.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Just wondering your view on this - do graduate recruitment/partners at interviews ever think perhaps someone has too much going on to concentrate on a career in law? e.g. if they have different projects going on that they're doing simultaneously.

In certain situations, yes. By that I mean if it is something like you are running your own business and your not willing to give it up (and it seems it will take up a lot of your time).

What do you mean by projects? This might help me understand a little better.

Hermes123

Standard Member
Aug 27, 2020
Dear Jessica,

First of all, I appreciate your continuous hard work answering a plethora of questions on a daily basis.
Heads up!

I wonder whether you are willing to advice on how to approach a SAR? I asked a firm politely to provide me with feedback on my written application after I had received a rejection.
I mentioned that I wanted to give them the chance to provide me with feedback on my written application informally as opposed to having to employ more resources on an official SAR request. The answer I received was simply that the firm would not provide feedback at the written application stage.
At this stage, I am inclined to go down the official route.

Any guidance on how to approach it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Dear Jessica,

First of all, I appreciate your continuous hard work answering a plethora of questions on a daily basis.
Heads up!

I wonder whether you are willing to advice on how to approach a SAR? I asked a firm politely to provide me with feedback on my written application after I had received a rejection.
I mentioned that I wanted to give them the chance to provide me with feedback on my written application informally as opposed to having to employ more resources on an official SAR request. The answer I received was simply that the firm would not provide feedback at the written application stage.

Thank you.

I am not an expert on SAR requests - I have never received one.

There’s lot of advice online about how to approach it though, but you need to be clear about what information you expect, the formats of information, and the timeframes you expect to be covered.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Dear Jessica,

Heads up!

Thank you.

This post may also help

Helpful SAR post

In the request, I would also make it clear that you are asking for any email correspondence that includes your name, between your assessors and graduate recruitment/HR from the date of your assessment/interview up until the date you found out you were unsuccessful.

LydiaS

Dec 4, 2019
Hi Jessica, I was wondering what are the chances of me being able to get into a MC/SC firm with these academics:

A-levels: AAA
Law degree (Manchester): 1st (72%)
LPC taken this year: Commendation (64%) with a 52% in banking and a 54% in equity finance.

I know the 50s on the commercial modules this year are not that great so I was wondering what would my chances be

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I was wondering what are the chances of me being able to get into a MC/SC firm with these academics:

A-levels: AAA
Law degree (Manchester): 1st (72%)
LPC taken this year: Commendation (64%) with a 52% in banking and a 54% in equity finance.

I know the 50s on the commercial modules this year are not that great so I was wondering what would my chances be

based on that limited information, I can’t see why you wouldn’t have a chance at MC/SC firms but it’s really going to be down to a lot more detail on your application beyond this, including your module results for your degree, your work experience, your extra curriculars, your motivations, and how well you write.

Lawgrad98

Jul 23, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was wondering how much attention is attributed to the university that an applicant has studied at? Particularly amongst the MC/SC and US firms. Assuming that one achieved at least a mid 2:1, would the university that they attended be a potential obstacle to securing a TC at said firms?

Thanks

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I know that the smart way to answer a question like 'which other firms have you applied to' is to group them either by size or practice area to show some rationale.

My focus has usually been on the funds/PE side of firms so quite US heavy but then two UK firms that also have great PE areas. Do you think perhaps not to mention the US firms if at a UK firm interview?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I know that the smart way to answer a question like 'which other firms have you applied to' is to group them either by size or practice area to show some rationale.

My focus has usually been on the funds/PE side of firms so quite US heavy but then two UK firms that also have great PE areas. Do you think perhaps not to mention the US firms if at a UK firm interview?

No - makes complete sense to mention them if PE is your focus. I think your first follow up question otherwise would be “why not US firms?”.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi Jessica,
I am completing an application form for an Open Day where the firm has a textbook to provide a "mini CV". There doesn't appear to be a word limit. How much would you expect to see written there? Would you anticipate the same content as a regular CV but less detail for each position or fewer positions, or both?
Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was wondering how much attention is attributed to the university that an applicant has studied at? Particularly amongst the MC/SC and US firms. Assuming that one achieved at least a mid 2:1, would the university that they attended be a potential obstacle to securing a TC at said firms?

Thanks

For most firms in that category, no weighting whatsoever

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
I am completing an application form for an Open Day where the firm has a textbook to provide a "mini CV". There doesn't appear to be a word limit. How much would you expect to see written there? Would you anticipate the same content as a regular CV but less detail for each position or fewer positions, or both?
Thanks

what other information are you providing outside of this particular section?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Why law? Why the firm? What questions would I ask if invited to attend? Which practice areas am I interested in? Mitigating circumstances and my contact info.

Can you upload a document or is it just a free text box (and if the latter, can you format it like you can do with these forum posts)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I can't upload any other document. It's a word document text box so presumably could be formatted a bit.

Ok - you need to take the key experiences on your CV (academics, work experience and extra curriculars), and just present it the best way you can considering you won’t have any or limited formatting options, like you would normally have on a CV document you can upload.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.