Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Hey

I am trying to apply for a few open days however when i click 'apply now' it transfers me to the apply4law portal and all the deadlines have apparently passed? I have noted this for a few different firms now. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hey

I am trying to apply for a few open days however when i click 'apply now' it transfers me to the apply4law portal and all the deadlines have apparently passed? I have noted this for a few different firms now. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks
    I've only found this with firms where they haven't opened applications yet - are you sure they're open?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey

Thanks

are the firms actively advertising the open days as open? I wouldn’t expect many of them to be so for a couple more weeks

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi again Jessica,

So I was speaking to a graduate recruiter about an in tray assessment I am going to be taking relatively soon. I haven't seen the content yet but have been told it involves drafting a letter to a client and an internal memo to the firm on the same subject, and that the markers would be looking for different drafting styles for each.

I've been thinking about how I would respond to this all day. Beyond the differences in formatting, would it be better to write a simpler version to the client and a more complex one internally? Or would the other way round be better?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi again Jessica,

So I was speaking to a graduate recruiter about an in tray assessment I am going to be taking relatively soon. I haven't seen the content yet but have been told it involves drafting a letter to a client and an internal memo to the firm on the same subject, and that the markers would be looking for different drafting styles for each.

I've been thinking about how I would respond to this all day. Beyond the differences in formatting, would it be better to write a simpler version to the client and a more complex one internally? Or would the other way round be better?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I wouldn’t say either necessarily. It’s more thinking about your audience, which will be very different (as they have suggested).

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

This is a bit vague - if a firm asks you to perhaps speak about a deal you found interesting, what kinds of factors could you discuss for the deal to be interesting? I have a few in mind but there isn't a huge amount of detail on the deals and I have found them interesting maybe because of the value of the deal or companies taking majority stake in something etc - is that an interesting enough reason...?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

This is a bit vague - if a firm asks you to perhaps speak about a deal you found interesting, what kinds of factors could you discuss for the deal to be interesting? I have a few in mind but there isn't a huge amount of detail on the deals and I have found them interesting maybe because of the value of the deal or companies taking majority stake in something etc - is that an interesting enough reason...?

You just need to explain why YOU found it interesting, not why it is interesting.

so why is the value of the deal interesting to you? I suspect you could find other deals of similar values or more, so why did you pick that one? Why does the company that has a majority stake in it of interest to you? That’s what you’ve got to explain.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, what other ways apart from prizes, rankings and scholarships can I show academic excellence?

Your actual grades.

Remember things are still seen holistically though. Someone with awards/prizes/strong grades and holding down a part-time job of 15+ hours a week will be seen as someone achieving more than someone with the same and no job for instance. Same goes for extra curriculars.

Last edited:

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    @Jessica Booker
    Hello Ma'am, hope you are doing well. Wanted to know if, during the Linklaters India Internship, we are asked: "Why not other law firms". Do they mean "other firms which offer an India Internship program" , or does the phrase "other firms" include everything under the sun?
    Only HSF offers the India Internship program and answering the question becomes easy if the purview is only "other firms which offer an India Internship Program" since HSF is a litigation heavyweight and Links is corporate.
    Please help

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker
    Hello Ma'am, hope you are doing well. Wanted to know if, during the Linklaters India Internship, we are asked: "Why not other law firms". Do they mean "other firms which offer an India Internship program" , or does the phrase "other firms" include everything under the sun?
    Only HSF offers the India Internship program and answering the question becomes easy if the purview is only "other firms which offer an India Internship Program" since HSF is a litigation heavyweight and Links is corporate.
    Please help

Could easily mean either - it’s there to test your motivations for them but also the programme, plus why not opportunities in India.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
    Mar 21, 2020
    Your actual grades.

Remember things are still seen holistically though. Someone with awards/prizes/strong grades and holding down a part-time job of 15+ hours a week will be seen as someone achieving more than someone with the same and no job for instance. Same goes for extra curriculars.

Hi Jessica, I hope you are doing well.

If an application form does not ask about extra curriculars, would it be okay for me to put some in the work experience section? I dedicated a significant chunk of my time to them and they have helped me to develop many transferrable skills. I am also considering only putting 1 or 2 key ones (law review editor and chair of a society). Would this be acceptable? Thank you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.