Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I hope you are doing well.

If an application form does not ask about extra curriculars, would it be okay for me to put some in the work experience section? I dedicated a significant chunk of my time to them and they have helped me to develop many transferrable skills. I am also considering only putting 1 or 2 key ones (law review editor and chair of a society). Would this be acceptable? Thank you.

No - it’s not appropriate to put them in work experience sections.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jess, I hope you are well! I was wondering if there’s a realistic prospect for candidates to be re-interviewed in a recruitment cycle after being rejected post-interview in the previous cycle (assuming that the firm has not explicitly adopted a no-re-interview policy)? Thank you very much :)

it depends on how the candidate did and the feedback they received. Many firms will actively encourage people to reapply if they think they just missed the mark by something small. It is always important to ask these type of questions when you get feedback from the firm post interview.

If you aren’t actively encouraged, then it very much depends on how much growth and development you can demonstrate on your application in the short time since your previous application.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Deleted member 3930

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
Hello again @Jessica Booker !

I will be looking for a vac scheme or TC in the autumn. I have been offered a few weeks of work experience at a commercial law firm in another European country. The firm isn't a brand name in the UK but it's consulted for local deals by many London firms.

The problem is that I have already completed two weeks of work experience with this firm. Would doing a few more weeks help my application - in any way? If I chose to accept this work experience, would this be listed as a separate entry on my application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello again @Jessica Booker !

I will be looking for a vac scheme or TC in the autumn. I have been offered a few weeks of work experience at a commercial law firm in another European country. The firm isn't a brand name in the UK but it's consulted for local deals by many London firms.

The problem is that I have already completed two weeks of work experience with this firm. Would doing a few more weeks help my application - in any way? If I chose to accept this work experience, would this be listed as a separate entry on my application?

If it’s not back to back you can put it as two separate entries, although it probably makes more sense to put it as one and then say something like “I was invited back to complete another X weeks in the firm”.

It’s not going to harm your application in anyway.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker, I recently completed a commercial case study where I advised a client.

On hindsight, I was wondering if it would be appropriate to talk about warranties/indemnities/future contracts when advising a client? If it is permissible (and as it is probably necessary to explain the words in layman terms), how many sentences should we dedicate to explaining the jargon?

I spoke about certain contractual terms and due diligence procedures to best protect the client in an M&A scenario. However, I only wrote about one line in explaining what these meant as I wanted to analyse other parts of the case study.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I recently completed a commercial case study where I advised a client.

On hindsight, I was wondering if it would be appropriate to talk about warranties/indemnities/future contracts when advising a client? If it is permissible (and as it is probably necessary to explain the words in layman terms), how many sentences should we dedicate to explaining the jargon?

I spoke about certain contractual terms and due diligence procedures to best protect the client in an M&A scenario. However, I only wrote about one line in explaining what these meant as I wanted to analyse other parts of the case study.

There's no answer to this unfortunately. There is no set number of words/sentences for a case study to tick a box - this is not how they work on any level.

Not every case study will need to talk about warranties/indemnities/future contracts - it really depends on the content of the exercise. Its impossible to say whether this is relevant or not, or how important it could be (if at all).

Its always important though to think about your communication to a client - talking in legal jargon may not always be appropriate (they are not lawyers, unless they are in-house counsel).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

If you have to submit a CV to a firm and you have already provided your grades and contact details, should I still keep this in the CV or is it better to remove this? Thanks!

I’d personally keep them in - although your contact details can just be your email and telephone number.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

In an interview and presentation where you are marked out of 1-4 (unacceptable / acceptable / good / strong), would you likely be required to score good / strong? Thanks!

Realistically yes - but it’s rarely scored on such a blunt measure like this. It’s usually broken down by competencies or different skills/aptitudes. It is quite possible to get an acceptable on one competency and where the competency is assessed elsewhere perform at a higher level and for it to average out.

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
Hi Jessica,

I am an international student who graduated in July 2019. I'm back home now and have been making Direct TC apps. With firms switching to online vacation schemes, would I be eligible to apply for vac schemes given that I can do it remotely and the firm would not need to sponsor a visa for me?

Thanks,
Brandon

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I am an international student who graduated in July 2019. I'm back home now and have been making Direct TC apps. With firms switching to online vacation schemes, would I be eligible to apply for vac schemes given that I can do it remotely and the firm would not need to sponsor a visa for me?

Thanks,
Brandon

If it is paid, you will still need a visa unfortunately.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    no - you’ll need a specific template that outlines what you want, timescales etc. Here is a useful website for further information.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matter...g-and-submitting-your-subject-access-request/

Note the firm may charge you the standard fee for the SAR (think it’s £10). But they’d be stupid to charge you as it would cost them more in having to process an invoice and arrange payment from you than it would be worth £10.

Looks like an aspiring barrister recently used a subject access request for feedback: https://www.legalcheek.com/2020/09/...-regs-to-secure-pupillage-interview-feedback/. I imagine this will be quite annoying for firms if more candidates start doing this.

Reactions: Alice G

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

This might be a silly question but can you make a subject access request after a firm has provided you with very vague feedback following an interview?

One problem I have noticed with feedback calls from HR following a partner interview, is that they can only read the partner’s written comments. Often I’ll ask questions for clarification and HR is unsure because the partner’s comments were unclear.

For example, one of the comments for improvement I received was that I “often paused/was thinking before answering some questions”. So, I asked “next time shall I try and respond quickly after a question has been asked and say the first thing that comes to my mind?” And HR said she’s unsure and doesn’t see why pausing was a problem and it doesn’t say I paused for long, and she can only tell me what they have written down.

I obviously won’t say what firm this was but I know vague feedback can be quite frustrating for some candidates as it is difficult to learn and improve for the next time.

Thanks a lot :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

This might be a silly question but can you make a subject access request after a firm has provided you with very vague feedback following an interview?

One problem I have noticed with feedback calls from HR following a partner interview, is that they can only read the partner’s written comments. Often I’ll ask questions for clarification and HR is unsure because the partner’s comments were unclear.

For example, one of the comments for improvement I received was that I “often paused/was thinking before answering some questions”. So, I asked “next time shall I try and respond quickly after a question has been asked and say the first thing that comes to my mind?” And HR said she’s unsure and doesn’t see why pausing was a problem and it doesn’t say I paused for long, and she can only tell me what they have written down.

I obviously won’t say what firm this was but I know vague feedback can be quite frustrating for some candidates as it is difficult to learn and improve for the next time.

Thanks a lot :)

you have a legal right to request a SAR for anything, whatever stage you choose to do it.

A SAR would only provide you with the same written comments though - it won’t provide you with other detail/answers you were hoping for in the example above.

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.