Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I was wondering would it be okay to resubmit a successful cover letter that was only rejected after the online test? I was thinking about making a few minor alterations (i.e updating some work experience) but to keep most of the cover letter the same. :) Thank you so much.

I would still critically evaluate your cover letter and see if any improvements can be made - no matter how minor they may seem. But if you are confident that the decision was purely on test, it doesn’t need to change significantly

jam1999

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
Bit of a hypothetical scenario but -

I’ve noticed some of the smaller, often full-service, firms I’m applying to for training contracts only part fund the LPC e.g give £10,000 towards it rather than funding the whole thing. These firms also often do not select a specific LPC provider. If I managed to secure a TC with one of these firms to start in 2022, is there any benefit to me picking a ‘better’ LPC provider for future jobs, or will recruiters not care?

I know that where you study your undergrad is quite crucial to recruiters as well as what classification you receive. I am wondering if employers have the same kind of rankings for where people undertake their LPC.

I’ve noticed that the LPC at London Met is just over £10,000 whereas at BPP / ULaw it is over £16,000. I understand the benefits of picking unis like BPP before securing training contracts, as they have links to big corporate firms but if I have already secured a contract, is there any real benefit to picking the more expensive courses in terms of future employability? I struggle financially and it would be difficult for me to find the money to do an LPC at BPP

Reactions: Alison C

RB

Star Member
Jun 7, 2020
Hi Jessica,
I was unsuccessful in my application for an open day but in my rejection email, it stated that I am encouraged to apply for another open day. I was thinking of reapplying but was confused as to why I’d be allowed to reapply so I emailed the graduate recruitment team to confirm if I’d be allowed to reapply for another open day. However, once I sent the email, I was sent an automatic response that had various answers to FAQs - one of which was that applicants are only allowed to apply for one open day. I haven’t received a response from the graduate recruitment team but I wanted to ask what would be your interpretation of this?
Thank you in advance!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi Jessica,
I was wondering why firms place such importance on how well written an application is (tailored to the firm, grammatical errors, STAR technique etc) when it's common for people to pay professionals to write their applications for them? I've had a look at a couple of applications and there's no disclaimer to say that the essays are your own work or anything like that - they have to about you but not by you. It seems odd to place such importance on something that isn't actually the candidate.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi Jessica,
I was unsuccessful in my application for an open day but in my rejection email, it stated that I am encouraged to apply for another open day. I was thinking of reapplying but was confused as to why I’d be allowed to reapply so I emailed the graduate recruitment team to confirm if I’d be allowed to reapply for another open day. However, once I sent the email, I was sent an automatic response that had various answers to FAQs - one of which was that applicants are only allowed to apply for one open day. I haven’t received a response from the graduate recruitment team but I wanted to ask what would be your interpretation of this?
Thank you in advance!
I had a similar situation once where I was rejected because the open day was full, not because they didn't like my application so maybe that's the case here?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Bit of a hypothetical scenario but -

I’ve noticed some of the smaller, often full-service, firms I’m applying to for training contracts only part fund the LPC e.g give £10,000 towards it rather than funding the whole thing. These firms also often do not select a specific LPC provider. If I managed to secure a TC with one of these firms to start in 2022, is there any benefit to me picking a ‘better’ LPC provider for future jobs, or will recruiters not care?

I know that where you study your undergrad is quite crucial to recruiters as well as what classification you receive. I am wondering if employers have the same kind of rankings for where people undertake their LPC.

I’ve noticed that the LPC at London Met is just over £10,000 whereas at BPP / ULaw it is over £16,000. I understand the benefits of picking unis like BPP before securing training contracts, as they have links to big corporate firms but if I have already secured a contract, is there any real benefit to picking the more expensive courses in terms of future employability? I struggle financially and it would be difficult for me to find the money to do an LPC at BPP

no one will care where you did your LPC - there are no ranking systems in place for LPC providers - it’s a standardised course just with optional modules. The only way I can see an institution impacting your employability, whether now for a TC or as a qualified lawyer (highly unlikely) is if they don’t provide module options that are aligned to the type of work you would do at that firm.

For most firms, they don’t care where you did your UG either. It’s a poor myth that continue to perpetuate because of some specific statistics that don’t really explain the full picture.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
I was wondering why firms place such importance on how well written an application is (tailored to the firm, grammatical errors, STAR technique etc) when it's common for people to pay professionals to write their applications for them? I've had a look at a couple of applications and there's no disclaimer to say that the essays are your own work or anything like that - they have to about you but not by you. It seems odd to place such importance on something that isn't actually the candidate.

Because strong written skills are a requirement of the job you are doing - it’s as simple as that and a non-negotiable/something firms aren’t not willing to compromise on.

People have been getting people to write things for them for decades. Freshfields used to have a hand written application form in the 2000s - even back then there were people who used to pay others to write it for them not just for content but also for nice eligible hand writing.

Even if people aren’t paying someone to do it, parents/friends/mentors and even places like this are informing people how to write applications. And yet plenty of people still can’t write a good application - I’d say 70% of applications fall down because of poor written skills - more so than any other criteria. Some of the pay for services are not very good either - I have seen some examples online and I could tear apart the “revised” application for errors, crappy/convoluted language, poor structure etc. Paying someone to write it for you isn’t always going to lead to success.

Firms will often have other stages in the recruitment process that will pick up these skills again and verify their ability. Even if there isn’t a written element to further assessments, there are strong links to being able to do something like a case study well and having to pull together your own application well too.

Many times I can spot when someone has written an application for someone else though, and I have also been able to spot when it’s been written for someone else and the person doesn’t match up at interview.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
Thank you in advance!

It could be that you applied to the wrong programme if it has certain eligibility criteria you couldn’t meet. It might be that the open day is more popular and therefore is fully booked. If they have told you to reapply I would take that as maybe an exception to their rule (which they are allowed to do).

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Because strong written skills are a requirement of the job you are doing - it’s as simple as that and a non-negotiable/something firms aren’t not willing to compromise on.

People have been getting people to write things for them for decades. Freshfields used to have a hand written application form in the 2000s - even back then there were people who used to pay others to write it for them not just for content but also for nice eligible hand writing.

Even if people aren’t paying someone to do it, parents/friends/mentors and even places like this are informing people how to write applications. And yet plenty of people still can’t write a good application - I’d say 70% of applications fall down because of poor written skills - more so than any other criteria. Some of the pay for services are not very good either - I have seen some examples online and I could tear apart the “revised” application for errors, crappy/convoluted language, poor structure etc. Paying someone to write it for you isn’t always going to lead to success.

Firms will often have other stages in the recruitment process that will pick up these skills again and verify their ability. Even if there isn’t a written element to further assessments, there are strong links to being able to do something like a case study well and having to pull together your own application well too.

Many times I can spot when someone has written an application for someone else though, and I have also been able to spot when it’s been written for someone else and the person doesn’t match up at interview.
This makes perfect sense. Essentially, they'll weed out anyone with poor writing skills at the first stage and, even though they allow the fakes through that round, they find them out later on so they aren't actually successful without merit.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This makes perfect sense. Essentially, they'll weed out anyone with poor writing skills at the first stage and, even though they allow the fakes through that round, they find them out later on so they aren't actually successful without merit.

Even if someone did get through a recruitment process (which I suspect does happens if they can’t write a decent application themselves then they will struggle as a trainee. Under the current system people like that may struggle to get a NQ position - under the SQE system, they won’t pass a probationary period

Reactions: LegalNim

j2134

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Hi Jessica :)

For the question: 'Describe a challenging situation you have faced, what made it challenging, how did you respond and what did you learn in the process?'

Can I choose a challenge I have set myself, or would it be better to choose a challenge that presented itself (that I was forced to face) in order to show how I 'responded' to it.

avocadotoast

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 15, 2020
    Hi Jessica,
    With regard to jobs to do after uni whilst you apply for training contracts, does it look bad if you get a job that's completely separate to law (e.g sales or as a zookeeper), or do potential firms not care what you do in the meantime as long as your application is stronger? I know you've recommended compliance but I can't find any that I'm suitable for :(

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker
    I have an application that only allows me to list four things under work experience. My last two full-positions have not been law related. Am I better off mentioning part-time or temporary positions or things a while ago that are law related (vacation schemes etc) or my actual jobs?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica :)

For the question: 'Describe a challenging situation you have faced, what made it challenging, how did you respond and what did you learn in the process?'

Can I choose a challenge I have set myself, or would it be better to choose a challenge that presented itself (that I was forced to face) in order to show how I 'responded' to it.

either sounds fine - it’s quite common to see either type of answer to this type of question

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    With regard to jobs to do after uni whilst you apply for training contracts, does it look bad if you get a job that's completely separate to law (e.g sales or as a zookeeper), or do potential firms not care what you do in the meantime as long as your application is stronger? I know you've recommended compliance but I can't find any that I'm suitable for :(

Any job is better than no job. In the current economy recruiters will know that people have to diversify their job search to get some form of employment.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker
    I have an application that only allows me to list four things under work experience. My last two full-positions have not been law related. Am I better off mentioning part-time or temporary positions or things a while ago that are law related (vacation schemes etc) or my actual jobs?

you have to pick the four that you think are most relevant for your application. By relevant I don’t mean law, I just mean which four showcase your experience/skill set to the best of your ability. It’s probably important to factor in some “recent” experience into that though.

TDEW2

Sep 10, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I am sure you have probably been asked some sort of variation of this question but I had a scroll through the forum and couldn't see anything so I apologise if this is the case.

Can a strong undergrad performance mitigate mediocre A-level grades? I have a first-class degree in Law but BBC at A-level (so a couple of grades off the ABB requirements that I frequently see) - I also have paralegal experience at a city law firm as well. Keen to hear your thoughts and many thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I am sure you have probably been asked some sort of variation of this question but I had a scroll through the forum and couldn't see anything so I apologise if this is the case.

Can a strong undergrad performance mitigate mediocre A-level grades? I have a first-class degree in Law but BBC at A-level (so a couple of grades off the ABB requirements that I frequently see) - I also have paralegal experience at a city law firm as well. Keen to hear your thoughts and many thanks in advance.

If the firm has a strict A-level requirement, then it won’t unfortunately.

Some firms say they “expect” such grades rather than them being a requirement. In some of those cases, they may be willing to look beyond the grades if the application is strong elsewhere (not just your degree but all other aspects).

Increasingly, many firms are removing their A-level criteria though.

Reactions: Mark Dimitri

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Guys, can you help me out with a little something here? I feel I am motivated enough for a career in commercial law at a city firm, but whenever I try to frame an answer to questions like "Why law" etc.. , I am not able to make it sound very convincing.
    Do all the future trainees on the forum had their answers ready at once without any hassle? Because I have been literally trying to articulate these model answers since so many months of introspection now.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Guys, can you help me out with a little something here? I feel I am motivated enough for a career in commercial law at a city firm, but whenever I try to frame an answer to questions like "Why law" etc.. , I am not able to make it sound very convincing.
    Do all the future trainees on the forum had their answers ready at once without any hassle? Because I have been literally trying to articulate these model answers since so many months of introspection now.

It took me a very long time (years) to get my 'why commercial law?' answer down and even then I changed it many times. I think it's one thing to know why you want to be a commercial lawyer and another thing to convincingly justify your reasons on paper. That takes a lot of deep thinking and will probably evolve over time.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.