Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica. What does the 'non-rolling' method mean exactly? Will the applications still be viewed as they come in but no offers will be given, or will the firms only view all the applications once the deadline closes?

Additionally, are there any benefits to applying early for firms that operate on a 'non-rolling' basis? I remember seeing a graph which shows the majority of the applications are received very close to the deadline and I wonder if graduate recruitment will be able to dedicate more time to the early applications. Thank you.

There is no set answer here unfortunately.

Non rolling generally means they won’t review applications until they close. However, some firms are still rejecting people before then, particularly if people are not eligible for the programme or if they haven’t passed psychometric tests. However some firms will say that non rolling is actually them reviewing as they go but that they don’t invite anyone through to interview until everyone has been reviewed. This typically requires a second sifting system where application may be reviewed again or if they have been scored, a certain score of application gets through to interview (which can only be determined once every application is reviewed).

Graduate recruitment dedicate the same amount of time to applications no matter when you apply. They just have to spend more of their time screening later in the season.

My advice is always to try and aim to apply in the first two thirds of an application window for any firm that says they are rolling recruitment. You can still apply in the final third if you want to (and I’d still encourage people to apply during that time as the only way you can secure a job is if you apply) - but applying in the first two thirds of a window generally means you are at least two thirds ahead of all applications (where most people apply close to the deadline).

• ℹ️
Reactions: TChopeful2021 and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello,Jessica.I am really stuck with this question.I do not know from where to begin,I braimstored some ideas but it does not seem to work that much."What does exceptional client service look like from a future facing lawyer?" Any advice how to tackle this question?Thank you so much.

To me the key part of this is a “future facing lawyer” - this is not about explaining what exceptional client care looks like right now, it’s about explaining what you think exceptional client care will look like going forward.

This question isn’t about you (you don’t have to say why you would be an exceptional future facing lawyer) it is just about determining your knowledge of the industry and the job, and whether you can apply a level of analysis to how that may change in the future as well as what might stay the same.

Reactions: Alice G

XARA

Esteemed Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hi Jessica, I have had a look at NRF's application and the cover letter asks to be covered: 1) why you think you will be a good commercial solicitor and 2) why you are applying to NRF. this is quite different to other cover letters that often divide the points to be covered into 3. I was wondering whether you would be able to shed some light on this/your opinion on how to proceed! Thanks

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Jessica, I have had a look at NRF's application and the cover letter asks to be covered: 1) why you think you will be a good commercial solicitor and 2) why you are applying to NRF. this is quite different to other cover letters that often divide the points to be covered into 3. I was wondering whether you would be able to shed some light on this/your opinion on how to proceed! Thanks
I’d recommend covering the points they’ve asked you to. In the first point you can show your understanding of what lawyers do and the skills needed and link these back to you and in the second point you can discuss why them and show some further tailoring to yourself. You can probably structure this in whichever way works for you but don’t worry about ‘standard cover letters’, if this is the approach they’re asking for it’s best to take this approach

• ℹ️
Reactions: Tushar and Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

If they are explicit in asking for answers to these questions in the cover letter, then always go with what the firm is asking and don't try and cover other things just because it is deemed "normal" to discuss them in a cover letter. To me a cover letter would normally only cover "why commercial law", "why us", "why you" and so to me these two questions really cover these three "normal" subjects anyway.

Completely agree with Alice's comments about on how to approach it.

XARA

Esteemed Member
Jul 27, 2020
I’d recommend covering the points they’ve asked you to. In the first point you can show your understanding of what lawyers do and the skills needed and link these back to you and in the second point you can discuss why them and show some further tailoring to yourself. You can probably structure this in whichever way works for you but don’t worry about ‘standard cover letters’, if this is the approach they’re asking for it’s best to take this approach
Thanks a lot for both of your responses! So would you recommend just doing two paragraphs explicitly addressing the points? I am just a little worried that two paragraphs will look a little clunky in comparison to the three paragraphs I am used to completing for cover letters!

XARA

Esteemed Member
Jul 27, 2020
If they are explicit in asking for answers to these questions in the cover letter, then always go with what the firm is asking and don't try and cover other things just because it is deemed "normal" to discuss them in a cover letter. To me a cover letter would normally only cover "why commercial law", "why us", "why you" and so to me these two questions really cover these three "normal" subjects anyway.

Completely agree with Alice's comments about on how to approach it.
Yes that was what I was thinking! Best bet is definitely just to follow what the firm is asking for!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks a lot for both of your responses! So would you recommend just doing two paragraphs explicitly addressing the points? I am just a little worried that two paragraphs will look a little clunky in comparison to the three paragraphs I am used to completing for cover letters!

It doesn't have to be two paragraphs - it could be 2, it could be 6! Really just depends on what you are writing, the flow of it and whether separate paragraphs are needed for the sake of good writing structure.

Reactions: Alice G
To me the key part of this is a “future facing lawyer” - this is not about explaining what exceptional client care looks like right now, it’s about explaining what you think exceptional client care will look like going forward.

This question isn’t about you (you don’t have to say why you would be an exceptional future facing lawyer) it is just about determining your knowledge of the industry and the job, and whether you can apply a level of analysis to how that may change in the future as well as what might stay the same.
Thank you so much

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello Everyone, hope you all are doing well.
Wanted to ask- why is there a sea of information on how to get a VS but literally nothing on how to do well at the VS to convert it to a TC. Sure there are posts which tell us to be enthusiastic throughout the VS, to engage etc. but would it be safe to assume that there is no preparation that one can do to perform the tasks given at the VS better?
What does the student really do in the time that he has between the VS acceptance and the actual VS other than keeping himself/herself updated with the latest commercial developments.

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Everyone, hope you all are doing well.
Wanted to ask- why is there a sea of information on how to get a VS but literally nothing on how to do well at the VS to convert it to a TC. Sure there are posts which tell us to be enthusiastic throughout the VS, to engage etc. but would it be safe to assume that there is no preparation that one can do to perform the tasks given at the VS better?
What does the student really do in the time that he has between the VS acceptance and the actual VS other than keeping himself/herself updated with the latest commercial developments.

Thanks

There are too many variables that mean giving you specific advice on the type of work/responsibilities you would have as an intern is probably not helpful.

The general advice on how to approach the vacation schemes more generally is probably sufficient. The rest of the advice would be given to you on the scheme based on the work you had been given and the specifics of the firm's/partner's/associate's request.

If you were given specific advice on how to approach individual tasks you could be given the wrong advice for that particular firm, or could be sent down the wrong direction on how to approach it.

Yes - it preparation for a vacation scheme you could keep an eye on what the firm/department is working on, and generally keep yourself up to date by continuing your commercial awareness development. But at the same time, I'd advise people giving themselves some space to relax - getting a vacation scheme is tough enough while balancing education and other commitments - going overboard on trying to prep for a 2-4 week vacation scheme is probably not healthy. Your time on the scheme will be intense enough - so I would encourage people to have some down time so they are mentally and physically fresh ahead of starting too.

avocadotoast

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 15, 2020
    Hi @Jessica,

Is it worthwhile mentioning future events that you will be taking part in on your VS/TC application? If so, how do you go about doing so? For example, say you'll be at an event in December but you have to hand in your application before then, is it worthwhile mentioning?

Thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica,

Is it worthwhile mentioning future events that you will be taking part in on your VS/TC application? If so, how do you go about doing so? For example, say you'll be at an event in December but you have to hand in your application before then, is it worthwhile mentioning?

Thank you in advance.

I think it depends what the event is. If it is just an seminar/careers event, then I wouldn't. If it is a competitive open day with a firm very similar to the one you are applying to, it can be referenced but doesn't require any detail apart from the firm and month it will take place.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I'm applying to an Open Day and it states "places are exclusively reserved for those who successfully apply". I thought that was a given so the fact that they've stated it on their promotion makes me feel like perhaps that's not always the case. Is it normal for there to be attendees at open days who didn't successfully apply?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I'm applying to an Open Day and it states "places are exclusively reserved for those who successfully apply". I thought that was a given so the fact that they've stated it on their promotion makes me feel like perhaps that's not always the case. Is it normal for there to be attendees at open days who didn't successfully apply?

This is the oddest thing I have heard in sometime.

It might be that other open days have a different policy - for instance open days with particular universities or diversity organisations may not require a successful application as such, and therefore they are clarifying this open day requires a competitive application.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    This is the oddest thing I have heard in sometime.

It might be that other open days have a different policy - for instance open days with particular universities or diversity organisations may not require a successful application as such, and therefore they are clarifying this open day requires a competitive application.
    Ok, thanks. I was getting all kinds of thoughts about people being scouted or things like that.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ok, thanks. I was getting all kinds of thoughts about people being scouted or things like that.

It is possible - I have done this for two firms in the past, although the people I “scouted” still had to apply and go through the recruitment process for the programme.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I was wondering where can one find the challenges faced by a specific firm? I know there are general challenges such as ABS, 'more-for-less' challenge, etc.

However, I'm worried that such challenges may not be very firm-specific and can appear quite cliche in an application. I've tried gleaning articles on the firm, but there isn't much content on firm-specific challenges either.

Lawgrad98

Jul 23, 2019
    When calculating my degree average, should I include my first year results in the calculation even though they did not count towards my degree? Or would my degree average just be the average of years 2 and 3? I achieved 2.1+ in all years but was wondering if my average could be based on the final two years as I did better in them.

Thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.