Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker, in one of my applications for why I wanted to apply to the firm, I was planning to talk about the firm's US presence and how the firm's American links have supported the firm's ability to improve its service offering in certain sectors (energy) and practice areas (IP). Considering I am applying for the London office, would it be best not to include this reason?

I know @Alice G stated that one of the reasons why she was drawn to Freshfields was because of the firm's US ties. I was wondering if you talked about this at interview or in your application? I am just wondering whether I should/should not mention this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, in one of my applications for why I wanted to apply to the firm, I was planning to talk about the firm's US presence and how the firm's American links have supported the firm's ability to improve its service offering in certain sectors (energy) and practice areas (IP). Considering I am applying for the London office, would it be best not to include this reason?

I know @Alice G stated that one of the reasons why she was drawn to Freshfields was because of the firm's US ties. I was wondering if you talked about this at interview or in your application? I am just wondering whether I should/should not mention this.

sounds fine to me where you are saying it’s strengthening their U.K. departments

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jaysen @Jessica Booker hope you are fine.
I have a Youtube Channel on which I post infotainment videos which I animate on my computer. To be honest, I only started the channel so that a few months from now I start making enough money to cover my travel expenses and my pocket money because my father's salary was halved almost six months back.

I work on it for 3-4 hours daily and I do it when I can't study any more.

How honest should I be with the motive of this channel? Is it ok to directly say that I'm only doing it for the money- I mean I don't really derive any happiness from creating such videos.

Thank You.

Yes - you can say you do it for income. Plenty of people take on jobs that they don’t enjoy so they can afford the things they need/want.

You wouldn’t be descriptive of your father’s situation though - you’d just focus on its purpose (to earn money) and how many hours a week you dedicate to it.

• 🤝
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen @Jessica Booker hope you are fine.
    I have a Youtube Channel on which I post infotainment videos which I animate on my computer. To be honest, I only started the channel so that a few months from now I start making enough money to cover my travel expenses and my pocket money because my father's salary was halved almost six months back.

I work on it for 3-4 hours daily and I do it when I can't study any more.

How honest should I be with the motive of this channel? Is it ok to directly say that I'm only doing it for the money- I mean I don't really derive any happiness from creating such videos.

Thank You.

Agreed with Jess. You can state that you launched an animated YouTube series in order to fund your travel and day to day expenses, spending 3-4 hours daily to create these videos. I think this will come across as quite entrepreneurial and commendable.

Caitlin

Distinguished Member
    Mar 26, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I have an interview coming up for a TC with an international commercial firm next week (had a place on their VS which was cancelled) and have spent a while perfecting my 'why commercial law' answer. I remember in the VS interview they asked me 'why law' rather than specifically 'why commercial law', which threw me off a bit at the time. If they do the same, asking 'why law' in the TC interview, do you think I should have a different answer prepared or answer 'why commercial law' specifically? Hope this makes sense!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I have an interview coming up for a TC with an international commercial firm next week (had a place on their VS which was cancelled) and have spent a while perfecting my 'why commercial law' answer. I remember in the VS interview they asked me 'why law' rather than specifically 'why commercial law', which threw me off a bit at the time. If they do the same, asking 'why law' in the TC interview, do you think I should have a different answer prepared or answer 'why commercial law' specifically? Hope this makes sense!

It's not that it has to be different as such, it probably just needs a multi-stage approach. First layer of why law, and then a second layer of why then commercial law. This can be tricky to ensure you aren't rambling - but the "why law" part can be fairly short/sweet depending on your motivations.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Agreed with Jess. You can state that you launched an animated YouTube series in order to fund your travel and day to day expenses, spending 3-4 hours daily to create these videos. I think this will come across as quite entrepreneurial and commendable.
    Thanks, Jaysen. Just a follow up question, please. Can I also expand on 'entrepreneuralisim' by mentioning the kind of videos I animate- I feel the topics that I do my videos on, are quite different from what is out there on YouTube which is why I believe, my channel is quickly gaining traction.

Thank You.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks, Jaysen. Just a follow up question, please. Can I also expand on 'entrepreneuralisim' by mentioning the kind of videos I animate- I feel the topics that I do my videos on, are quite different from what is out there on YouTube which is why I believe, my channel is quickly gaining traction.

Thank You.

Yes, definitely something to show your individual impact. Just try to keep it super concise as sometimes long descriptions of these things can distract from the achievement

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess, in application questions which ask “explain a time when...” can I write about something I am currently doing which is not yet completed?

you could do but it is important to be able to show outcomes and learnings from it, and therefore you have to critically evaluate whether you have done enough of that "something" to be able to do this.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Wanted to ask you a quick question please:
    What is the question " Why did you not want to work in your home country" really asking us?
    To me, the answer is pretty obvious that since I'm already interested in Commercial Law ( I will obviously explain this) , I want to experience it at the biggest level ( obviously these firms are the biggest in the world ) and naturally the multi-jurisdictional angle appeals to me.

I feel this is a pretty standard answer, but please let me know, am I missing something here? What does the question even mean?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Wanted to ask you a quick question please:
    What is the question " Why did you not want to work in your home country" really asking us?
    To me, the answer is pretty obvious that since I'm already interested in Commercial Law ( I will obviously explain this) , I want to experience it at the biggest level ( obviously these firms are the biggest in the world ) and naturally the multi-jurisdictional angle appeals to me.

I feel this is a pretty standard answer, but please let me know, am I missing something here? What does the question even mean?

You aren't missing anything - it is not a trick question. It is just assessing your motivations for where you want to live and work.

Too many people come to the UK to seek a training contract out knowing it helps their career progression outside of the UK. Too many other candidates just want to glitz and glamour of life as a lawyer in the UK, without really working out whether they actually would enjoy living in the country,

Firms are just trying to assess whether you have a long term commitment to a career with them, predominately in the UK. And also whether you have critically evaluated whether you actually want to LIVE and WORK in that region.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    You aren't missing anything - it is not a trick question. It is just assessing your motivations for where you want to live and work.

Too many people come to the UK to seek a training contract out knowing it helps their career progression outside of the UK. Too many other candidates just want to glitz and glamour of life as a lawyer in the UK, without really working out whether they actually would enjoy living in the country,

Firms are just trying to assess whether you have a long term commitment to a career with them, predominately in the UK. And also whether you have critically evaluated whether you actually want to LIVE and WORK in that region.

Thank you Jessica.

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    I'm currently completing an application that doesn't ask for a "why us" question or cover letter. I was wondering if I should still try to link to the firm in the more general questions they do ask (why law, describe extracurriculars, etc)? Basically, how do I show the firm that I researched them well and that they are the right "fit" for me without explicitly being asked a question about it?

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi!
    In various applications when I am writing about my work experience is it a bad idea to mention I was offered a graduate role? The role is at a bank and I do not want to be a banker so I don't know whether to just say that I did the internship or say that I got an offer at the end of it, any advice would be great. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm currently completing an application that doesn't ask for a "why us" question or cover letter. I was wondering if I should still try to link to the firm in the more general questions they do ask (why law, describe extracurriculars, etc)? Basically, how do I show the firm that I researched them well and that they are the right "fit" for me without explicitly being asked a question about it?

No - don't try to force answers into questions - it rarely works.

It might be the firm doesn't care at this stage about your motivations for them.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Manifesting

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi!
    In various applications when I am writing about my work experience is it a bad idea to mention I was offered a graduate role? The role is at a bank and I do not want to be a banker so I don't know whether to just say that I did the internship or say that I got an offer at the end of it, any advice would be great. Thanks!

Yes - something to mention if you did an internship if it is on your application anyway. Just be careful in how you frame the reasons for not wanting a banking role. Sometimes it can come across as too negative of what you didn't want to do and this is risky, especially if the same could be said of law.

Reactions: Legal_rawn

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

Hi there,

So sorry for not seeing this sooner!

I didn’t have this in my app and didn’t mention it at interview either but you’re right - it was one of very many reasons that I was so drawn to FF. I think it can be a pretty strong differentiating factor of the firm and I think it could be a good reason to use in an app or at interview but you need to try to explain why that matters to you or why it’s of particular interest and importance :)

Hermes123

Standard Member
    Aug 27, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

Just a quick question: if I address a cover letter by saying "Dear Graduate Recruitment Team", I would end with "Yours faithfully", correct? If I'm not mistaken, the rule is if I do not address a particular individual, it has to be this way.

Best wishes,

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.