Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thank you :)

how do recruiters feel about ppl citing websites like Chambers Student and Target Jobs as sources in their apps? is it a no-no? do a lot of people do this?

It’s not a no-no - I just don’t see the relevance of telling someone where you read something. It’s usually just filler phrases used to bulk out answers, in the same way saying you spoke to trainees at a law fair is.

No one is really interested in what you have been told by other sources.

• ℹ️
Reactions: A friendly human

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
It’s not a no-no - I just don’t see the relevance of telling someone where you read something. It’s usually just filler phrases used to bulk out answers, in the same way saying you spoke to trainees at a law fair is.

No one is really interested in what you have been told by other sources.
thank you again! and thank you for devoting so much of your time to helping us juniors out haha

Reactions: Alison C

RB

Star Member
Jun 7, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I attended a law fair this week and was advised by a recruiter that I should note down on my application form that I am a career changer and that I am currently on a Tier 2 visa, because this means that I can only apply to direct training contracts as my visa prevents me from applying to vacation schemes. Do you know where exactly I should write this in my application form?

The current application I am working on does not have an 'other information' section and the most appropriate place I can find to write this is in the extenuating circumstances area..but I don't think that seems appropriate either.

Thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I attended a law fair this week and was advised by a recruiter that I should note down on my application form that I am a career changer and that I am currently on a Tier 2 visa, because this means that I can only apply to direct training contracts as my visa prevents me from applying to vacation schemes. Do you know where exactly I should write this in my application form?

The current application I am working on does not have an 'other information' section and the most appropriate place I can find to write this is in the extenuating circumstances area..but I don't think that seems appropriate either.

Thank you in advance!

The extenuating circumstances section will be fine in this instance. It would make sense to put it there, unless it has a cover letter section, and then it could be referenced there (albeit exceptionally briefly).

Reactions: RB

U98

Nov 15, 2019
Hi Jess, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to all our questions - I've learnt a lot from this forum! A small question, what's the best way to write a work experience entry for an internship addressed later on in an application question? The question was focused on my ability to adapt and in it, some of my responsibilities, the significance of my role, and the impact of my work is addressed. I know that the work experience section comes up first on the form before the questions. Am I right in thinking I shouldn't repeat myself and instead write about the other tasks which I haven't mentioned elsewhere, with the entry being smaller compared to the others? It's just that I don't think I have much more to say about the significance and impact of my work.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess, I hope you are doing well :)

I applied for a place on an event about a month ago by sending my CV. The graduate recruitment team shortly responded, confirmed receipt and informed me that I would know about the outcome after the deadline passes (which is in early November). However, I have updated my CV since then--I have started my postgraduate degree so I have highlighted the highly relevant modules that I will take. I have also revised a few descriptions of my work experiences and reformatted my CV to make it easier to read. May I ask if it is a sensible idea to send an updated version of my CV?

Thank you :)

Unfortunately it’s not appropriate to send an update - firms can’t really manage a process of multiple applications from the same person. I only recommend it if you can upload a new application to the applicant tracking system yourself.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Deleted member 3930

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to all our questions - I've learnt a lot from this forum! A small question, what's the best way to write a work experience entry for an internship addressed later on in an application question? The question was focused on my ability to adapt and in it, some of my responsibilities, the significance of my role, and the impact of my work is addressed. I know that the work experience section comes up first on the form before the questions. Am I right in thinking I shouldn't repeat myself and instead write about the other tasks which I haven't mentioned elsewhere, with the entry being smaller compared to the others? It's just that I don't think I have much more to say about the significance and impact of my work.

I would focus on your responsibilities (factual processes and outcomes) in your work experience section, and focus on the aspect of adapting in your competency answer (specifics of how you adapted).

A friendly human

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
hello again!

thank u so much for your continued support on this thread!

a question for currencies - do you put the currency (e.g. GBP, USD, AUD, etc) before the sum or after? or does it not matter as long as it's done consistently throughout the app?

thank you

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

Just a quick one this time.

I'm currently writing an app to a firm which asks you to 'describe an aspect of your studies that was of particular interest and explain why it interests you.' I'm feeling a little confused by how to interpret 'an aspect of your studies'.

Do you think they're trying to ask me to explain a particular topic I enjoyed studying? Or could it be about the process (i.e. researching, analysing different sources, writing essays, debating in class etc)?

I feel strongly that it's the former but I am slightly unsure so I thought I'd go ahead and ask anyway.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hello again!

thank u so much for your continued support on this thread!

a question for currencies - do you put the currency (e.g. GBP, USD, AUD, etc) before the sum or after? or does it not matter as long as it's done consistently throughout the app?

thank you

not one to get overly worried about in terms of format. Sometimes just £ or € or $ and the amount is appropriate if it is clear it’s U.K. pounds or US dollars. If you need to clarify something like dollars then CAD$ or AUD$ would be appropriate.

But consistency is key - so just the same format across your application is the main thing.

Reactions: Jaysen

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hello!

Would really appreciate some help on the following question from the White & Case vacation scheme application 2020:

Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc. These do not need to be White & Case specific. (Max. 350 words)

I have attended many career events, but not so sure how to go about this question and what to write about the career events that I have attended? What in the events should I talk about? What is the purpose of the question?

Thanks

A friendly human

Star Member
    Feb 13, 2020
    not one to get overly worried about in terms of format. Sometimes just £ or € or $ and the amount is appropriate if it is clear it’s U.K. pounds or US dollars. If you need to clarify something like dollars then CAD$ or AUD$ would be appropriate.

But consistency is key - so just the same format across your application is the main thing.
    thank you once again! i'm sadly in a position where the sums were more exotic than the measly US dollar so I have to use their formal designation :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello!

Would really appreciate some help on the following question from the White & Case vacation scheme application 2020:

Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc. These do not need to be White & Case specific. (Max. 350 words)

I have attended many career events, but not so sure how to go about this question and what to write about the career events that I have attended? What in the events should I talk about? What is the purpose of the question?

Thanks

you don’t really have to describe the events. Most of the time I just see them listed out in some form of logical order.

Sometimes people will provide a sentence or two about what they particularly learnt/took away from events that are very aligned to the firm you are applying to (eg the events that firm has run, or if the firm is very strong in PE, then any subject specific PE events).

They just want to see how you are informing yourself about your career options.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Dwight and A friendly human

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Jess,

I'm applying to various positions as I wait to begin the LPC. I am not familiar with writing cover letters except for law firms as part of the TC process. Outside of that context, is there a preferred way to open cover letters? Or is there no prescribed format?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess,

I'm applying to various positions as I wait to begin the LPC. I am not familiar with writing cover letters except for law firms as part of the TC process. Outside of that context, is there a preferred way to open cover letters? Or is there no prescribed format?

Thanks!

formal letter structure if uploading a document

ideally no more than a page, although sometimes you can get away with just over a page (definitely not more than a page and a half or more though).

What to cover depends on what else you have had to provide, but generally three topics to cover - why the firm, why the opportunity, why you. Doesn’t have to be in that order.

No set way to start a letter really - there are some predictable ways “I am an Economics graduate from the University of Manchester and I am writing to you to apply for a training contract” but that isn’t necessary.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Bit of a hypothetical scenario but -

I’ve noticed some of the smaller, often full-service, firms I’m applying to for training contracts only part fund the LPC e.g give £10,000 towards it rather than funding the whole thing. These firms also often do not select a specific LPC provider. If I managed to secure a TC with one of these firms to start in 2022, is there any benefit to me picking a ‘better’ LPC provider for future jobs, or will recruiters not care?

I know that where you study your undergrad is quite crucial to recruiters as well as what classification you receive. I am wondering if employers have the same kind of rankings for where people undertake their LPC.

I’ve noticed that the LPC at London Met is just over £10,000 whereas at BPP / ULaw it is over £16,000. I understand the benefits of picking unis like BPP before securing training contracts, as they have links to big corporate firms but if I have already secured a contract, is there any real benefit to picking the more expensive courses in terms of future employability? I struggle financially and it would be difficult for me to find the money to do an LPC at BPP

Not clear if this was answered and I'm no guru BUT surely you need to think long term here? I'd literally go to the open evenings and see which LPC is better run and more suited to your needs. You will be a better lawyer if you have better training, whatever that looks like for you.

I see that the finances are an issue and it may be easier to procure a loan for, eg, the MSc version of the LPC if that's an option - at U Law where I went, it's literally an extra unit and month stuck on the end of the standard LPC but gives you an extra something to offer further down the line (and access to govt loans I believe).

Hope that helps. I'm sure that the recruiters can guide you if needs be.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not clear if this was answered and I'm no guru BUT surely you need to think long term here? I'd literally go to the open evenings and see which LPC is better run and more suited to your needs. You will be a better lawyer if you have better training, whatever that looks like for you.

I see that the finances are an issue and it may be easier to procure a loan for, eg, the MSc version of the LPC if that's an option - at U Law where I went, it's literally an extra unit and month stuck on the end of the standard LPC but gives you an extra something to offer further down the line (and access to govt loans I believe).

Hope that helps. I'm sure that the recruiters can guide you if needs be.

PG loan won’t cover £16,000 worth of fees unfortunately. It means it is a hard decision for many and they have to choose the cheapest course, as that is all they can afford.

Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That's right but if there is already £10k on offer then the loan could be a way to go? That was my thinking based on the query.

With living costs and fees, many would still still struggle. That’s the any issue with self funding, whether fully or partly - for many people it makes it completely out of reach.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.