Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020
is it a full day? If so, unfortunately you will have to just do it at the time required. If it’s not a full day, ask to see if the time can be changed so it is at a different time of day. If it’s only half a day or less, they probably have other sessions that run earlier/later.

Yes, it is a full day so I guess there is nothing the firm can do. Thank you for your reply.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, it is a full day so I guess there is nothing the firm can do. Thank you for your reply.

just let them know you will be logging in during the early hours of the morning. They unfortunately won’t be able to take it into consideration that much, but I think it’s worthwhile letting them know - there is no risk of doing so

Reactions: TChopeful2021

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

What are Freshfield's key competencies? What do they look for most in their future lawyers. I read that flexibility and adaptability is definitely one and others. I just want to know what the key ones are?

Have a look at the following page of their website:

Values

And from their graduate recruitment FAQ:

What are the main skills you look for?
We look for many skills including determination, enthusiasm, time management, flexibility, attention to detail, an interest in business, willingness to work as a team, and resilience. When writing your application, make sure you link your experiences to the types of skills we look for. See our website for more information on what skills make a great lawyer.

Reactions: Dwight

Shelly AA

Standard Member
Dec 22, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I am applying TCs not at the big corporate City firms but more mid to small size firms, many of them deal with crime, private clients, immigration, regulatory, public law and charities, etc.

1. I am finding it really hard with the"why this firm" question as it's difficult to find any additional information about them besides their own websites and on the usual websites (Lex 100, Legal 500, etc.). Also no real opportunities to meet anyone from the firm as they don't attend any of the fairs. Any ideas?
2. As part of the same question do you think its OK to write that I attended a few Open Days at some big City firms and decided that career path is not for me?
3. I have ascertained, according to the current trainees, that part of the attraction to quite a few of these firms is a good work/life balance. Do you think it's OK to mention this as part of my answer?
Thanks,
Shelly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I am applying TCs not at the big corporate City firms but more mid to small size firms, many of them deal with crime, private clients, immigration, regulatory, public law and charities, etc.

1. I am finding it really hard with the"why this firm" question as it's difficult to find any additional information about them besides their own websites and on the usual websites (Lex 100, Legal 500, etc.). Also no real opportunities to meet anyone from the firm as they don't attend any of the fairs. Any ideas?
2. As part of the same question do you think its OK to write that I attended a few Open Days at some big City firms and decided that career path is not for me?
3. I have ascertained, according to the current trainees, that part of the attraction to quite a few of these firms is a good work/life balance. Do you think it's OK to mention this as part of my answer?
Thanks,
Shelly

1) it sounds like you are taking the right approach if you are speaking to current trainees. For firms that don’t actively market themselves, they probably have very different expectations of what an applicant will say compared to a firm that runs a huge amount of events - so I wouldn’t worry about it.

2) yes - that is fine to reference. Just always frame it in a positive way rather than a negative way (finding out what you want from a firm rather than what you don’t want)

3) It’s ok for you to mention it - just don’t let it be your key reason. You’ll need to explain why you want to do the day job/career first, and the work life balance is just a perk/benefit of that job/career.

Shelly AA

Standard Member
Dec 22, 2020
1) it sounds like you are taking the right approach if you are speaking to current trainees. For firms that don’t actively market themselves, they probably have very different expectations of what an applicant will say compared to a firm that runs a huge amount of events - so I wouldn’t worry about it.

2) yes - that is fine to reference. Just always frame it in a positive way rather than a negative way (finding out what you want from a firm rather than what you don’t want)

3) It’s ok for you to mention it - just don’t let it be your key reason. You’ll need to explain why you want to do the day job/career first, and the work life balance is just a perk/benefit of that job/career.

Thanks very much. On another quick note, I found that one firm brought in a significant new partner back in 2017. Could I reference that or do you think it's to old? I am linking it to the growth in the company.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks very much. On another quick note, I found that one firm brought in a significant new partner back in 2017. Could I reference that or do you think it's to old? I am linking it to the growth in the company.

Is the growth directly connected to that individual though? I see this a fair amount on applications and it sometimes doesn’t quite work. Bringing in people is fine, but sometimes firms just build up their business by developing their own talent and promoting internally, or they are bringing people in to replace others who have left.

Last edited:

Shelly AA

Standard Member
Dec 22, 2020
Is the growth directly connected to that individual though? I see this a fair amount on applications and it sometimes doesn’t quite work. Bringing in people is fine, but sometimes firms just build up their business by developing their own talent and promoting internally, or they are bringing people in to replace others who have left.

Yes I see what you mean. In the same article, after mentioning the new partner, the firm commented that there will be more 'organic growth' in the company. Which I understand to mean increasing output internally and growing revenue from existing clients. Thanks for the tip.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes I see what you mean. In the same article, after mentioning the new partner, the firm commented that there will be more 'organic growth' in the company. Which I understand to mean increasing output internally and growing revenue from existing clients. Thanks for the tip.

I think thats the bit to aim for - the strategy of what they want to grow, rather than the specifics of how they may implement that strategy, as its likely the specifics are varied anyway.

Reactions: Shelly AA

LS07

Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 23, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your help. I have another question regarding the Freshfields personal statement again. Would you advise to specifically mention the skills developed through different experiences or can I make this a bit more subtle i.e. the words speak for themselves? Many thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your help. I have another question regarding the Freshfields personal statement again. Would you advise to specifically mention the skills developed through different experiences or can I make this a bit more subtle i.e. the words speak for themselves? Many thanks

Either could work - but your reader is likely to be switched on enough to be able to see skills without you having to claim them in most instances.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess, I hope you are well.

I submitted an application back in September but have yet to hear back. I understand that candidates who submitted their applications before and after me have heard back either positively or negatively. Could I ask if it is more plausible that the firm has not reviewed my application, or if it is more likely that I am in the 'maybe' pile? I am just hoping to manage my expectation.

Could I also ask if I have previously failed at Freshfields' application stage for their 1st Year Scheme, Open Day, Workshop and TC, is it still worth reapplying for this year's TC?

Thanks a lot in advance. Wishing you a lovely break :)!

it’s hard to know which is more plausible - they are both possible and difficult to know without knowing the ins and outs of the specific form and your application.

Do you feel your profile/experiences have had a significant development since your last application?

marabka

Dec 25, 2020
Dear Jessica,

I am a Russian lawyer with 3.5 years of legal experience in arbitration and international dispute resolution (2 years in the Moscow office of a Magic Circle firm and a 1.5 years in a Russian spin-off of Akin Gump, a major firm in the market).
I am really passionate about English law, London and the like, and, therefore, I am currently considering various options for qualifying as an English lawyer (GDL or straight QLTS or SQE) and working in London. However, the question I am asking myself again and again is: is it really worth it? Or is it likely that no matter how hard I try, I wll still have no chances to find a decent job place there?
I am currently 25 (perhaps I am too old?). I only had very good notes during my studies (5.0 out of 5.0 at Bachelor and 4.86 out of 5.0 at Master). I also have good knowledge of Russian (native speaker), English, French and German (all of them - C2).
Therefore, studying hard is not a problem, and I would really be ready to do whatever it takes. Money is not an issue either. But still will it be a waste of time to try to compete with younger English graduates?
Most certainly top-tier law firms, such as Magic Circle and top American law firms, have to be ruled out straight off. But as far as other sizeable and more or less renowned law firms are concerned, what would your thoughts be on this matter?

Last edited:

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I hope you had a lovely Christmas!

When I was doing my A-levels, AS levels were in the process of being phased out and not really important anymore as they no longer counted towards my final A-level grades. My sixth form did, however, make us do AS exams despite them not counting towards our final grades. I think they did that as a way of then giving us predicted grades. So I was wondering if I need to put down my AS grades, despite their irrelevance to my final A level grades?

To be honest I never put them down because of the fact that they do not count. But the firm I am applying to is a bit different as it is the first firm I have ever seen to put in bold red that applicants need to put all exams taken and grades received. The problem is that I did terribly on one of my AS exams and subsequently dropped that particular subject, so I am not very keen on putting it on my application.

And also, how do law firms go about checking exam results? That particular firm explains that they require "confirmation of all results during the selection process" so does that mean I need to provide certificates or do they contact my school?

And last question on a different note, would you classify brand ambassador positions as law related?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Dear Jessica,

I am a Russian lawyer with 3.5 years of legal experience in arbitration and international dispute resolution (2 years in the Moscow office of a Magic Circle firm and a 1.5 years in a Russian spin-off of Akin Gump, a major firm in the market).
    I am really passionate about English law, London and the like, and, therefore, I am currently considering various options for qualifying as an English lawyer (GDL or straight QLTS or SQE) and working in London. However, the question I am asking myself again and again is: is it really worth it? Or is it likely that no matter how hard I try, I wll still have no chances to find a decent job place there?
    I am currently 25 (perhaps I am too old?). I only had very good notes during my studies (5.0 out of 5.0 at Bachelor and 4.86 out of 5.0 at Master). I also have good knowledge of Russian (native speaker), English, French and German (all of them - C2).
    Therefore, studying hard is not a problem, and I would really be ready to do whatever it takes. Money is not an issue either. But still will it be a waste of time to try to compete with younger English graduates?
    Most certainly top-tier law firms, such as Magic Circle and top American law firms, have to be ruled out straight off. But as far as other sizeable and more or less renowned law firms are concerned, what would your thoughts be on this matter?

your best bet is an internal transfer with the firm you work with.

You should definitely take the SQE route though. A firm is unlikely to put you through a training contract given your level of experience. Age is not an issue, the level of experience you have is though.

Why are you ruling out MC and US firms though?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I hope you had a lovely Christmas!

When I was doing my A-levels, AS levels were in the process of being phased out and not really important anymore as they no longer counted towards my final A-level grades. My sixth form did, however, make us do AS exams despite them not counting towards our final grades. I think they did that as a way of then giving us predicted grades. So I was wondering if I need to put down my AS grades, despite their irrelevance to my final A level grades?

To be honest I never put them down because of the fact that they do not count. But the firm I am applying to is a bit different as it is the first firm I have ever seen to put in bold red that applicants need to put all exams taken and grades received. The problem is that I did terribly on one of my AS exams and subsequently dropped that particular subject, so I am not very keen on putting it on my application.

And also, how do law firms go about checking exam results? That particular firm explains that they require "confirmation of all results during the selection process" so does that mean I need to provide certificates or do they contact my school?

And last question on a different note, would you classify brand ambassador positions as law related?

They won’t contact your school. They will just need your certificates so it really depends on what is on them. Really you should declare everything given the need to integrity and that’s what the firm is asking for.

Campus ambassadors are not really law related where you are not doing a legal job. I have seen plenty of people include them in legal work experience sections without issue though - it’s one of those grey areas

marabka

Dec 25, 2020
    your best bet is an internal transfer with the firm you work with.

You should definitely take the SQE route though. A firm is unlikely to put you through a training contract given your level of experience. Age is not an issue, the level of experience you have is though.

Why are you ruling out MC and US firms though?

Thank you so much for your response!

As for MC and US, I think that I am just not sufficiently competitive to aspire to work there.

While I understand that my chances for a training contract right now, given my zero experience in England, are very slim (I am not considering this option), do you think I should not consider a conversion degree (GDL) in a hope to get some experience during this year (I understand vacation schemes are an option) and then try to get a training contract? After all, as far as I understand, some people, who are born in England and switch to law after non-legal studies, do get their GDL and then launch their legal career. Are there any reasons to think that the same route would be impossible for me?
    Another concern relating SQE is that if I finally follow the GDP and training contract route (subject to your response), I am afraid that my being a solicitor may discourage law firms from hiring me for a training contract. As far as I understand, once a person is a solicitor, law firms have certain obligations relating to his minimum wages. I would be happy to be wrong, but if that is the case, wouldn't that mean that getting SQE as the very first step would prevent me from following this second more ordinary and predictable route?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you so much for your response!

As for MC and US, I think that I am just not sufficiently competitive to aspire to work there.

While I understand that my chances for a training contract right now, given my zero experience in England, are very slim (I am not considering this option), do you think I should not consider a conversion degree (GDL) in a hope to get some experience during this year (I understand vacation schemes are an option) and then try to get a training contract? After all, as far as I understand, some people, who are born in England and switch to law after non-legal studies, do get their GDL and then launch their legal career. Are there any reasons to think that the same route would be impossible for me?
    Another concern relating SQE is that if I finally follow the GDP and training contract route (subject to your response), I am afraid that my being a solicitor may discourage law firms from hiring me for a training contract. As far as I understand, once a person is a solicitor, law firms have certain obligations relating to his minimum wages. I would be happy to be wrong, but if that is the case, wouldn't that mean that getting SQE as the very first step would prevent me from following this second more ordinary and predictable route?

you don’t need the GDL - the GDL would only be suitable if you were to undertake a training contract, and even then it only exists for another 12 months before being replaced by the SQE.

Given your level of experience, the SQE would be far more suitable and then looking for a foreign qualified lawyer role would be far more appropriate than a training contract.

You are too experienced for a training contract - I don’t think it’s an appropriate route for someone with 3+ years experience with the type of firms you have worked with.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.