Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'd also just add here about what I learned from my experience, which Jessica can either confirm or debunk - Oxbridge / First Class grades or flashy work experiences don't truly matter, at least in comparison to perhaps what you write in the application form itself - I think they're more of a threshold requirement to be honest.

Looking back, the most probable reasons for the rejections I feel was the fact that I didn't spend too much time trying to come up with truly outstanding answers on the application form. While I don't think my answers were 100% crap, the lack of networking and heavy hours of research probably showed.

In circumstances like that, i think only the firms which had a predilection towards academic grades / work experience decided to take a chance and interview me, which worked out because those were the firms I was more interested in interviewing with at the end of the day. Once again, hope this sharing was useful, and doesn't make me sound like too much of an ass. Genuinely wanted to share this experience to get some closure / contribute to the knowledge out there.

Very interesting to read. It does sound like you have an impressive background, but perhaps the rest of your application form wasn't strong enough to lead to an interview invitation.

I'd be careful of drawing too many conclusions in your first post from your own experience. It's hard to know without seeing your application form, but it may be the case you were falling into common traps in your application answers, and your grades weren't enough to save you there. As you said, you may have also come across as a little much in the application form, which can be quite a tricky line to balance - even if you do have the experiences to back this up.

Finally, as Jess said, it's possible that you weren't providing a convincing narrative about why you want to be a commercial lawyer in the UK. I don't know if this is the case, but I can imagine if you were selling all your varied experiences in your application form - from your international experiences to your startup ventures - there may have been doubts about your motivations.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

cortana116

Jan 19, 2021
    Very interesting to read. It does sound like you have an impressive background, but perhaps the rest of your application form wasn't strong enough to lead to an interview invitation.

I'd be careful of drawing too many conclusions in your first post from your own experience. It's hard to know without seeing your application form, but it may be the case you were falling into common traps in your application answers, and your grades weren't enough to save you there. As you said, you may have also come across as a little much in the application form, which can be quite a tricky line to balance - even if you do have the experiences to back this up.

Finally, as Jess said, it's possible that you weren't providing a convincing narrative about why you want to be a commercial lawyer in the UK. I don't know if this is the case, but I can imagine if you were selling all your varied experiences in your application form - from your international experiences to your startup ventures - there may have been doubts about your motivations.
    Thanks Jaysen and Jessica, it's great to have a different perspective on this issue.

I think that might have been a concern - in fact I was queried about something similar in my interviews - why apply to be a commercial lawyer if business X is generating $Y in revenue?

But that begs the question, which I guess is a theoretical concern in my case now, since I was fortunate enough to have a lucky break towards the end of the cycle - are we supposed to hide certain work experiences (entrepreneurship or consulting at an MBB firm for example), if we run the risk of rejection before being able to justify motivations at the interview stage?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read the long messages!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jaysen and Jessica, it's great to have a different perspective on this issue.

I think that might have been a concern - in fact I was queried about something similar in my interviews - why apply to be a commercial lawyer if business X is generating $Y in revenue?

But that begs the question, which I guess is a theoretical concern in my case now, since I was fortunate enough to have a lucky break towards the end of the cycle - are we supposed to hide certain work experiences (entrepreneurship or consulting at an MBB firm for example), if we run the risk of rejection before being able to justify motivations at the interview stage?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read the long messages!
    No - it’s not about hiding them at all. In the same way I wouldn’t want someone to hide being a kitchen hand in a pub kitchen just because they thought it was not “appropriate”.

It isn’t about the experiences, it is about how you present them - whether that’s on an application or at interview and how they fit into your wider application too.

It could easily be the case that you promoted what you are comfortable with (your experiences) too well at the cost of the detailed researched and tailored application you are saying you didn’t have time for. That is likely to heighten the recruiters feeling of “why law and why us” if it seems your focus is elsewhere.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica. So I got my rejection from skadden yday which was a firm I really liked and thought my application was okay. It’s one of the first I’ve ever done for a vac scheme. Is there any feedback you could give on the cover letter I submitted as skadden only ask for this and 2 other questions on extra curriculars and positions of responsibility etc. Appreciate any advice that I could perhaps go forward with in my future applications. Thank you

Dear Mr Cardoso,

I enjoy tackling complex contractual and procedural conflicts on my LLM International Arbitration module and I have gained a keen interest in this field. Skadden is the ideal place to foster this interest with its Tier 1 ranking for international arbitration across Chambers UK and Legal 500. Skadden’s portfolio of arbitration matters is more diverse than other firms. As a trainee, I will be exposed to new, exciting industries, including life sciences and telecommunications in a way which other firm’s training programmes will not offer.

I enjoy working in small teams and taking on increased responsibility, reflected in my current participation on entrepreneurship programme ______. This suits Skadden’s small trainee intake; it will provide me with greater responsibility, client exposure and I will develop stronger relationships with others. Speaking to trainee _____ highlighted to me, the firm’s supportiveness through; unique in-house training and a Professional Skills Course for its trainees. This will facilitate the progression of my professional development.

Numerous Skadden lawyers have been recommended as leaders in their field in Chambers UK. Skadden’s ability to create leaders and entrepreneurs in legal practice areas is appealing, mirroring my own desire for leadership. Finding my own society during my undergraduate degree, I look forward to taking on such leadership roles as a Skadden lawyer.

Skadden’s organic growth approach ensures a genuine adding of value to clients while the firm’s strategy to nurture growth in technology, biotech and pharma will propel the firm as a truly elite global law firm. Skadden has already taken steps towards this as highlighted by training principal, Danny Tricot in his Chambers student interview. Skadden’s ambition and growing strength will expose me to more varied work and clients.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.
    I can’t really give detailed feedback and it’s hard to do so with only part of the application anyway.

There are a few concerns though:

- the point about life sciences and telecommunications won’t be true - the same could be said of many other firms

- I wouldn’t use the semi colons in the way you have - it makes the sentences more clunky. in the second sentence it doesn’t really make sense

- The PSC is a standard course provided for qualification - so all firms would put their trainees through it, it’s not unique to Skadden

- The “finding my own society” sentence doesn’t quite make sense. Do you mean setting up your own society?

- I think the firm would already consider itself a “global elite firm” and wouldn’t think it needed to propel itself into being one

Reactions: Lohana

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Hi Jessica. So I got my rejection from skadden yday which was a firm I really liked and thought my application was okay. It’s one of the first I’ve ever done for a vac scheme. Is there any feedback you could give on the cover letter I submitted as skadden only ask for this and 2 other questions on extra curriculars and positions of responsibility etc. Appreciate any advice that I could perhaps go forward with in my future applications. Thank you

Dear Mr Cardoso,

I enjoy tackling complex contractual and procedural conflicts on my LLM International Arbitration module and I have gained a keen interest in this field. Skadden is the ideal place to foster this interest with its Tier 1 ranking for international arbitration across Chambers UK and Legal 500. Skadden’s portfolio of arbitration matters is more diverse than other firms. As a trainee, I will be exposed to new, exciting industries, including life sciences and telecommunications in a way which other firm’s training programmes will not offer.

I enjoy working in small teams and taking on increased responsibility, reflected in my current participation on entrepreneurship programme ______. This suits Skadden’s small trainee intake; it will provide me with greater responsibility, client exposure and I will develop stronger relationships with others. Speaking to trainee _____ highlighted to me, the firm’s supportiveness through; unique in-house training and a Professional Skills Course for its trainees. This will facilitate the progression of my professional development.

Numerous Skadden lawyers have been recommended as leaders in their field in Chambers UK. Skadden’s ability to create leaders and entrepreneurs in legal practice areas is appealing, mirroring my own desire for leadership. Finding my own society during my undergraduate degree, I look forward to taking on such leadership roles as a Skadden lawyer.

Skadden’s organic growth approach ensures a genuine adding of value to clients while the firm’s strategy to nurture growth in technology, biotech and pharma will propel the firm as a truly elite global law firm. Skadden has already taken steps towards this as highlighted by training principal, Danny Tricot in his Chambers student interview. Skadden’s ambition and growing strength will expose me to more varied work and clients.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Hey @Lohana! Really sorry to hear about your rejection. I got to AC last year for Skadden so thought I would add some comments. Although, Jessica has already highlighted some good points above which I agree with.

When you said “As a trainee, I will be exposed to new, exciting industries, including life sciences and telecommunications in a way which other firm’s training programmes will not offer” in the first paragraph, I think this is quite vague. It may be better to give a specific example, perhaps a deal would work better here. And just as a rule of thumb, I would avoid words like “exciting” in applications, as some firms find it cliche.

For the final paragraph, I believe it would be a good idea to explain why those aspects are important to you. Why is Skadden’s organic growth important to you or for your career? You mention more varied work and client exposure but why is that important for you specifically? I say this because most applicants will say they want client exposure and varied work, so to differentiate yourself you’ll need to explain why this is important for you.

I have to say this is clearly a well researched application, so definitely keep up the good work. I wish you the best of luck for your other applications. Feel free to PM if you have any questions :)

Reactions: Lohana

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker. Hope you are doing well. Wanted to know if the firm is interested in the electives that we choose. For example, if I choose International Humanitarian Law instead of International Commercial law as part of my curriculum, can I be questioned on this, or can this put the recruiters off? Do I need to worry about this?

Thank You.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker. Hope you are doing well. Wanted to know if the firm is interested in the electives that we choose. For example, if I choose International Humanitarian Law instead of International Commercial law as part of my curriculum, can I be questioned on this, or can this put the recruiters off? Do I need to worry about this?

Thank You.
    Sorry I thought I had responded to the same post earlier, but clearly not.

it will be questioned, but alone it will not put a recruiter off. It really depends on how it fits in with your other modules and also how much “commercial” you have elsewhere on your application.

It would be more concerning where a candidate has no/or very little evidence of pursuing commercial law than it would be a for someone who has significant evidence

Amy_22

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2020
    Hi Jessica

I've stumbled across this question on an application and wondered if you could please shed some light on how you would approach the question and what sort of things you would think to mention. The question is: 'please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?' and the word limit is 250 words.

Thanks!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Wanted to ask you, is it criminal if a firm is big into legal tech and we don't talk about our interest in legal tech at all whilst applying? I haven't gone into the details but it looks like Linklaters has a number of legal tech things going on but quite honestly it doesn't matter to me much. Would it be ok if I completely skip this?

Thank You.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Wanted to ask you, is it criminal if a firm is big into legal tech and we don't talk about our interest in legal tech at all whilst applying? I haven't gone into the details but it looks like Linklaters has a number of legal tech things going on but quite honestly it doesn't matter to me much. Would it be ok if I completely skip this?

Thank You.

You can definitely skip this.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Thank You.
    If it’s something you are not interested in, you don’t need to mention it. Not everything about a firm will appeal to you.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    I’m applying to a firm where I don’t know whether to state I have a personal contact or not. They looked over my CV and stuff for me and I’ve never met them in person (pandemic of course). However, their wife is my mums best friend so I am unsure if I need to disclose this sort of relationship. They are a partner at the firm so I don’t know if it would be beneficial for me to put down this connection

PF'noooo!

Star Member
    Jan 19, 2021
    Hi @jessicabroker hope you are doing well.
    On an application I sent I made a mistake/typo on my employment history section. I said I interned/did unpaid legal work experience at a firm for two weeks when in fact I meant to say one week. I have an upcoming interview with the firm's HR team. Should I flag this to them in this meeting or beforehand? I am worried that flagging this to them at this early stage might jeopardise my chances, however, I would prefer to make them aware about this rather them finding out later down the line.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @jessicabroker hope you are doing well.
    On an application I sent I made a mistake/typo on my employment history section. I said I interned/did unpaid legal work experience at a firm for two weeks when in fact I meant to say one week. I have an upcoming interview with the firm's HR team. Should I flag this to them in this meeting or beforehand? I am worried that flagging this to them at this early stage might jeopardise my chances, however, I would prefer to make them aware about this rather them finding out later down the line.
    Flag at the interview. You’ll need to as if you get a job the reference checks won’t match up and that could be a lot worse (could result in your offer being retracted).

It’s why this type of attention to detail is vital. No one else will necessarily pick up a mistake with dates until it can be too late.

Be mindful that if you have written the word “two weeks” rather than “one week” that is highly questionable as to how that mistake can be made. A mistake on dates like 12/01/21 compared to 21/01/21 can be a little more excusable, although still not ideal.

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    Hi Jessica!

I was wondering if as long as I was consistent with my grammar and spelling use, I could follow grammar and spelling preferences of my choice? I am aiming to adhere to British practices for the most part but there are some things like using "learned" instead of "learnt" that I am more comfortable with. Or I don't use plural verbs to go with collective nouns (like a law firm) and stick to the "X law firm has Y" form because that's how I would talk too.

Or should I strive to make my application to follow all common British forms?

PF'noooo!

Star Member
    Jan 19, 2021
    Flag at the interview. You’ll need to as if you get a job the reference checks won’t match up and that could be a lot worse (could result in your offer being retracted).

It’s why this type of attention to detail is vital. No one else will necessarily pick up a mistake with dates until it can be too late.

Be mindful that if you have written the word “two weeks” rather than “one week” that is highly questionable as to how that mistake can be made. A mistake on dates like 12/01/21 compared to 21/01/21 can be a little more excusable, although still not ideal.
    Hi Jessica, thank you for your response.
    It was from a drop down menu format. However, it still it doesn't look great and not the best reflection to attention to detail. I will flag this in the interview and hope for the best.

Lohana

Star Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    Thank you so much - really appreciate the feedback which I will definitely be taking on!
    I can’t really give detailed feedback and it’s hard to do so with only part of the application anyway.

There are a few concerns though:

- the point about life sciences and telecommunications won’t be true - the same could be said of many other firms

- I wouldn’t use the semi colons in the way you have - it makes the sentences more clunky. in the second sentence it doesn’t really make sense

- The PSC is a standard course provided for qualification - so all firms would put their trainees through it, it’s not unique to Skadden

- The “finding my own society” sentence doesn’t quite make sense. Do you mean setting up your own society?

- I think the firm would already consider itself a “global elite firm” and wouldn’t think it needed to propel itself into being one

Lohana

Star Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    Hey @Lohana! Really sorry to hear about your rejection. I got to AC last year for Skadden so thought I would add some comments. Although, Jessica has already highlighted some good points above which I agree with.

When you said “As a trainee, I will be exposed to new, exciting industries, including life sciences and telecommunications in a way which other firm’s training programmes will not offer” in the first paragraph, I think this is quite vague. It may be better to give a specific example, perhaps a deal would work better here. And just as a rule of thumb, I would avoid words like “exciting” in applications, as some firms find it cliche.

For the final paragraph, I believe it would be a good idea to explain why those aspects are important to you. Why is Skadden’s organic growth important to you or for your career? You mention more varied work and client exposure but why is that important for you specifically? I say this because most applicants will say they want client exposure and varied work, so to differentiate yourself you’ll need to explain why this is important for you.

I have to say this is clearly a well researched application, so definitely keep up the good work. I wish you the best of luck for your other applications. Feel free to PM if you have any questions :)
    Hi Holly,

really appreciate the advice and kind words. Will be taking it all on board for my subsequent applications. I will PM for any questions- thank you for the offer!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I was wondering if as long as I was consistent with my grammar and spelling use, I could follow grammar and spelling preferences of my choice? I am aiming to adhere to British practices for the most part but there are some things like using "learned" instead of "learnt" that I am more comfortable with. Or I don't use plural verbs to go with collective nouns (like a law firm) and stick to the "X law firm has Y" form because that's how I would talk too.

Or should I strive to make my application to follow all common British forms?
    Yes - that is fine.

If you are applying to a UK opportunity, follow UK grammar. Anything that is stylistic (like learned/learnt) is fine, neither is wrong, it is just a style point.

Reactions: Manifesting

MzM

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I have a q about how you would approach a 250 word question asking 'In your view, what personal qualities make a successful lawyer?'

In my head I'm assuming they don't want us to just list qualities off, so would it be worth trying to weave in how you have said qualities ?

Or is this literally checking whether you have an understanding of the job?

Thanks

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.