Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I received some GDL marks today, and was wondering how much importance large commercial firms put on a public law module? In the other modules I received a distinction but the public law one was just a pass which I was really disappointed in - I know a lot of firms put importance on a contract law module but would a low mark in a public law module put me at a disadvantage somehow?

Thanks for your help!
It will vary from firm to firm, (and also dependent on the rest of your academic history) but generally I wouldn’t expect this to be an issue in most applicants to most firms.

Reactions: Jooooopp7

dollyparton

Nov 17, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker
I also received some of my gdl module results today. On apply4law, a few of my submitted applications allow you to add more information about qualifications and work experiences etc. Should I update these with my gdl marks, even though the deadline for all these applications has passed?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
I also received some of my gdl module results today. On apply4law, a few of my submitted applications allow you to add more information about qualifications and work experiences etc. Should I update these with my gdl marks, even though the deadline for all these applications has passed?
Thanks in advance!
Might as well. No harm if you can update them.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Lohana

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
Their website says the following (below). So it doesn’t need to be a team working example (that is just how they name their values) it just really needs to encompass the final bullet point. That can come from anything though - they won’t be looking for anything specific beyond you demonstrating when you have pushed yourself to ensure success in something.

Our culture - our Gateley Team Spirit – underpins everything that we do:
  • we work together, collaborating to bring out the best in each other;
  • we are forward thinkers, motivated by change and doing things differently;
  • we have room to breathe, supported to bring the best of ourselves to work;
  • we are trusted to do, encouraged to use our professional experience to deliver a great service to our internal and external clients; and
  • we are ambitious for success, quietly confident and never boastful.
Thank you!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Jessica, I received some GDL marks today, and was wondering how much importance large commercial firms put on a public law module? In the other modules I received a distinction but the public law one was just a pass which I was really disappointed in - I know a lot of firms put importance on a contract law module but would a low mark in a public law module put me at a disadvantage somehow?

Thanks for your help!
Hey! Just wanted to say I agree with what @Daniel Boden has said but also wanted to congratulate you, you did really well and especially navigating a new course at this time.

• 🤝
  • Love
Reactions: Jooooopp7 and Daniel Boden

polant

Feb 17, 2020
Hi Jessica,

can you please advice how should i answer the Reed Smith "question what current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession"?How many issues should i include?Is it wise to include the impact of covid 19 on legal profession ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Are direct TCs generally reserved for graduate changers/graduates? Also can you apply for a direct TC after you've failed to get VC with a firm- in the same application window?
No - wouldn’t say they are reserved for those people. Direct TCs can still be taken up by undergraduates who are eligible to start a TC by that intake.

It depends on the individual firm’s policy. Some will allow you to reapply, others won’t. Check when you apply for both vac schemes and TCs.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I was just wondering whether it is seen as unprofessional to take notes/jot down a couple of words during an interview?
My personal stance is not to - it can mean you are focusing on something else rather than answering the question. But I know other interviewers who recommend it.

It’s fine to do it when you are asking questions to your interviewers, but personally I wouldn’t do it when you are answering questions. One of those where it’s each to their own though

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
My personal stance is not to - it can mean you are focusing on something else rather than answering the question. But I know other interviewers who recommend it.

It’s fine to do it when you are asking questions to your interviewers, but personally I wouldn’t do it when you are answering questions. One of those where it’s each to their own though
Yes that makes sense. Thank you :)

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
I've been asked in an interview "how did you end up here?", and the partner wasn't convinced with any of my 3 replies. I took it to mean "what's your journey to commercial law been like?", but I guess not. Any advice on how to answer this if it comes up again?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've been asked in an interview "how did you end up here?", and the partner wasn't convinced with any of my 3 replies. I took it to mean "what's your journey to commercial law been like?", but I guess not. Any advice on how to answer this if it comes up again?
Difficult one for me to answer here. I am not sure what your interviewer was trying to get to if they weren’t happy with your answers. To me it sounds like you to the right approach.

Yoryis

Jan 25, 2021
Interesting question. Could you provide more information about your replies? Tbh I would understand it as encompassing everything: Why law, why commercial law, why us specifically.

Reactions: Tushar

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    I got asked this at a very recent interview - I essentially mentioned my interest in commercial law, my thought process behind choosing it as a career (what attracts me, what other options I considered etc.). I think it was also maybe slightly easier for me to answer this as I changed degrees so I could sort of bring that in as well to support some of my points. Partner seemed fine with the responses and asked follow-ups on what things I envisage finding challenging about a career in commercial law and the conversation then went on to why the firm etc.

I think success in interviews depend so much on your interviewer as well and it sounds like you had a particularly harsh partner but that's just luck I suppose. Agree with Jessica though, definitely sounds like you took the right approach.

Reactions: LEL

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    I got asked this at a very recent interview - I essentially mentioned my interest in commercial law, my thought process behind choosing it as a career (what attracts me, what other options I considered etc.). I think it was also maybe slightly easier for me to answer this as I changed degrees so I could sort of bring that in as well to support some of my points. Partner seemed fine with the responses and asked follow-ups on what things I envisage finding challenging about a career in commercial law and the conversation then went on to why the firm etc.

I think success in interviews depend so much on your interviewer as well and it sounds like you had a particularly harsh partner but that's just luck I suppose. Agree with Jessica though, definitely sounds like you took the right approach.
    Ahh great, I'll try this if it comes up again - thank you!

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    Interesting question. Could you provide more information about your replies? Tbh I would understand it as encompassing everything: Why law, why commercial law, why us specifically.
    So my initial reaction was to answer why I'm interested in commercial law and the types of firms, so I gave a brief answer there. Then when he asked again I think I went back to my IR degree and how my interest in law came from that. When he asked AGAIN I must've bs-ed really hard bc it was getting frustrating not knowing what he was looking for lol. I think it would be a lot to cram in those three points!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.