Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

I am about to send out an email reneging on a vacation scheme offer to accept a different scheme. Do you have any advice on what to include in the email? I have seen contradicting advice online about whether to simply say that circumstances have changed or to mention accepting a different offer or other excuses for quitting. Thanks

HnG

Mar 21, 2021
Hi Jessica,

I'm a final year medical student in Bulgaria (but I am from the UK) and I want to work in law as opposed to working as a doctor. I see all city firms have a standard minimum 2:1 classification. I also see UK universities for post graduate courses state that a 5 out of 6 in bulgaria is equivalent to a 2:1 and 6 out of 6 is equivalent to a 1st. However, getting an average 5 in my course is in the top 15 % of the year, unlike a 2:1 in the UK which is achieved by almost 60% of university students. Also, getting an average of 6 hasn't actually been accomplished in my course by any student over the years as of yet.

In addition to this, a 2:1 means averaging 60% across 3 years whereas a 5 means averaging 80% across 6 years.

My question is, would the law firms take this into account when applying? And also, would it be worth mentioning on the application where I ranked in the class?

Thank you in advance for reading this post

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am about to send out an email reneging on a vacation scheme offer to accept a different scheme. Do you have any advice on what to include in the email? I have seen contradicting advice online about whether to simply say that circumstances have changed or to mention accepting a different offer or other excuses for quitting. Thanks
Personally, I would call instead in the first instance, and the

Firms will assume the worst and think you are declining them for another scheme anyway. The more vague you are, the more suspicious it is.

How much you disclose I guess is up to you though and also how much you want to engage with the firm in the future. If you want to be considered for a direct TC application, then you’ll have to disclose to them as they will find out anyway.

Reactions: haumeasculpordwarf

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I'm a final year medical student in Bulgaria (but I am from the UK) and I want to work in law as opposed to working as a doctor. I see all city firms have a standard minimum 2:1 classification. I also see UK universities for post graduate courses state that a 5 out of 6 in bulgaria is equivalent to a 2:1 and 6 out of 6 is equivalent to a 1st. However, getting an average 5 in my course is in the top 15 % of the year, unlike a 2:1 in the UK which is achieved by almost 60% of university students. Also, getting an average of 6 hasn't actually been accomplished in my course by any student over the years as of yet.

In addition to this, a 2:1 means averaging 60% across 3 years whereas a 5 means averaging 80% across 6 years.

My question is, would the law firms take this into account when applying? And also, would it be worth mentioning on the application where I ranked in the class?

Thank you in advance for reading this post
Unfortunately the percentage of students achieving something isn’t a clear indicator of difficulty or weighting. If UK universities say you need a 5 or more scoring to compare to a 2.1, then firms will generally expect the same.

They would expect that from someone who studied a 5 year course in the U.K. as much as someone who has done a 3 year course though - they don’t differentiate on that either.

It’s not like you need a 2.1 in every module though, it’s just a 2.1 average.

You can explain that no one on your course has ever achieved a 6 and/or provide where you rank in your cohort (if you have that information) though.

JamesSmith312

Mar 21, 2021
Hi,

My question is if there is any point in explaining circumstances behind having bad a level grades to city firms when I apply to them.

I did the IB and got 32 points with 644 for my Higher Level subjects . I'm at a Russell Group uni and on track for a 1st in a STEM subject but I did extremely bad in my IB exams because of my life at home and the way I was being treated for years . I was given school-mandated counselling for about 2 years but it wasn't making me feel any better and I have written documents from 3 different teachers expressing their concern for me. I know for a fact if I hadn't been in the situation I was in I would have done a lot better in my finals but I can't change that now.

I know it would explain everything but I don't know if recruiters would look at it in a bad way, as if I am trying to score sympathy points, but I'm not. I just want to explain that I know I did badly but I know I can do better. Also, if I were to explain the circumstances, how could I do so without looking bad?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

My question is if there is any point in explaining circumstances behind having bad a level grades to city firms when I apply to them.

I did the IB and got 32 points with 644 for my Higher Level subjects . I'm at a Russell Group uni and on track for a 1st in a STEM subject but I did extremely bad in my IB exams because of my life at home and the way I was being treated for years . I was given school-mandated counselling for about 2 years but it wasn't making me feel any better and I have written documents from 3 different teachers expressing their concern for me. I know for a fact if I hadn't been in the situation I was in I would have done a lot better in my finals but I can't change that now.

I know it would explain everything but I don't know if recruiters would look at it in a bad way, as if I am trying to score sympathy points, but I'm not. I just want to explain that I know I did badly but I know I can do better. Also, if I were to explain the circumstances, how could I do so without looking bad?
Feel free to PM me about this and we can talk about it off of the forums

Personally, I would call instead in the first instance, and the

Firms will assume the worst and think you are declining them for another scheme anyway. The more vague you are, the more suspicious it is.

How much you disclose I guess is up to you though and also how much you want to engage with the firm in the future. If you want to be considered for a direct TC application, then you’ll have to disclose to them as they will find out anyway.
Thanks! Do you suggest speaking to the HR manager who made the initial offer or the grad rec team member with whom I am regularly in contact? The grad rec team is only 3 people.

The possibility of a direct TC application did not cross my mind. Wouldn't they be sufficiently irked to not consider me?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica - if a candidate cannot make a vacation scheme because of work, what generally feeds into the decision to offer them a TC instead?
For many firms they won’t just offer a TC instead of a VS. It would only be if the recruitment process is identical for a VS as a TC and if the firm felt you had performed to a TC level (there can often be very different expectations) that they would feel comfortable making you a direct offer.

Some firms would just tell you to reapply for a TC, some won’t consider you at all as they only recruit from VS, and some firms may tell you that you’ll need to complete the TC conversion process (usually another interview).

Reactions: LawGrad19

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks! Do you suggest speaking to the HR manager who made the initial offer or the grad rec team member with whom I am regularly in contact? The grad rec team is only 3 people.

The possibility of a direct TC application did not cross my mind. Wouldn't they be sufficiently irked to not consider me?
Speak to whoever you have had the most contact with.

Yes they will be irked on some level. But what do you have to lose by at least asking? The worst they can say is no.

Reactions: haumeasculpordwarf

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    Hi Jessica - This is a bit random but I was reading some news about bonuses being handed out to associates in the US by some firms and was wondering what the general process tends to be in London? Are bonuses handed out every year and are they based on hitting/exceeding billables most of the time? What happens if the firm doesn't have billable targets?

I also noticed that the bonuses being handed out by these US firms were only for their US associates - why don't the London (or any other international office) associates get paid the same bonus? Is it to do with FX reasons? I'd understand if the firm in question was a swiss verein but this firm isn't so I'm slightly confused.

Thank you in advance for your clarification.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica - This is a bit random but I was reading some news about bonuses being handed out to associates in the US by some firms and was wondering what the general process tends to be in London? Are bonuses handed out every year and are they based on hitting/exceeding billables most of the time? What happens if the firm doesn't have billable targets?

I also noticed that the bonuses being handed out by these US firms were only for their US associates - why don't the London (or any other international office) associates get paid the same bonus? Is it to do with FX reasons? I'd understand if the firm in question was a swiss verein but this firm isn't so I'm slightly confused.

Thank you in advance for your clarification.
    Bonuses are typically paid once a year - the timing will vary from firm to firm as to when in the year they are paid.

Bonuses may not be paid every year though. In a year when a firm or office is not profitable, is experiencing financial issues, temporary loss of revenue or needs to invest in something substantial, bonuses may not be paid. However this generally doesn’t happen a lot.

Bonus structures will vary from firm to firm, but generally I would expect the following to make up an individual’s bonus:

1) Firm overall performance (this still may be cut by office even for firms under a “one firm” model)

2) Practice area or department performance.

3) Individual performance - this may include a calculation based on target hour for firms that have them, but will be a much wider range of considerations beyond just billable hours and based on a yearly or twice yearly performance review process.

For the US firm you are mentioning, it maybe the case that the London office has a different remuneration and bonus pay date - it wouldn’t surprise me if their bonuses are paid in May/June. It maybe that the office is not profitable or has had a bad year. Or it maybe the case that the media you have read is just US centric and hasn’t covered it from a UK angle. Some US firms have a “eat what you kill” remuneration system, and so things like bonuses could be very separate from office to office.

There isn’t really a standard bonus everyone gets, or if there is it tends to only be a fraction of the overall bonus paid to people. As a bonus is made up of a range of variables, it’s not like everyone gets “the same” bonus.

AAA_a

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I realise this may depend on individual firms, but what are their usual attitude towards associates taking part time master degree? (i.e some degrees that have instruction on campus once or twice during weekday evenings.)
    What about for associates to take a sabbatical to read something like a one-year MBA?
    Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I realise this may depend on individual firms, but what are their usual attitude towards associates taking part time master degree? (i.e some degrees that have instruction on campus once or twice during weekday evenings.)
    What about for associates to take a sabbatical to read something like a one-year MBA?
    Thanks in advance.

You can do studies in your own time without an employer agreeing to it. You just have to be mindful how much of that time you will have. I have seen associates complete part time LLMs of their own accord.

How much the firm will support you through a course will depend on the relevancy of the course to your practice area, as well as general things like your personal performance on the job.

Sabbaticals are feasible too for firms that offer them (not all do). You usually have to accumulated 4-5 years PQE to be eligible for a full year's worth of sabbatical though. The firm would need to see the value of a MBA (many don't!) though to warrant you

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I am currently writing an application and one of the questions is: “please set out any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application” (250 words)

I’m not entirely sure what to include in this. Is it a space to explain extenuating circumstances, or wider things not covered properly in the rest of the application? For example, if there isn’t a specific question on ‘why commercial law’?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I am currently writing an application and one of the questions is: “please set out any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application” (250 words)

I’m not entirely sure what to include in this. Is it a space to explain extenuating circumstances, or wider things not covered properly in the rest of the application? For example, if there isn’t a specific question on ‘why commercial law’?

Thank you!
    It is ultimately a question with no limitations - you have to put in what you think is relevant. Yes, that could be mitigating circumstances, but it could be any information you haven’t had the opportunity to present. If that includes something like “why commercial law” then if you think that is relevant to your application (it might be more relevant to someone with limited commercial legal work experience) then you should include it.

Reactions: Lumree

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.