Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , Pinsent Mason's app asks for achievements within the last two years. However, as last year was kind of a write off for me and the previous year being not that exciting in terms of achieving much, would it matter hugely if i were to write about things that would be just 3 months off the two year mark? Otherwise, I really can't think of much to mention here. TIA

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , Pinsent Mason's app asks for achievements within the last two years. However, as last year was kind of a write off for me and the previous year being not that exciting in terms of achieving much, would it matter hugely if i were to write about things that would be just 3 months off the two year mark? Otherwise, I really can't think of much to mention here. TIA
I think if it is in 2019 you can get away with it, in terms of calendar year. I wouldn’t go into 2018 (or earlier) though.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was just doing the Clifford Chance internship on Forage and to be honest, I find most tasks quite intense and difficult and even though I do complete them, I have to admit that I am doing it just for the certificate and most of my responses to the mock tasks reflect that. For most tasks, I just fill in whatever I can to proceed to the next task. I wanted to ask you, do these firms review our answers to the mock tasks and can our responses hinder our chances?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was just doing the Clifford Chance internship on Forage and to be honest, I find most tasks quite intense and difficult and even though I do complete them, I have to admit that I am doing it just for the certificate and most of my responses to the mock tasks reflect that. For most tasks, I just fill in whatever I can to proceed to the next task. I wanted to ask you, do these firms review our answers to the mock tasks and can our responses hinder our chances?
Yes - they can see responses if they want to, but 1,000s of people do those internships so they are unlikely to do so. They might look at them if you were invited to interview stage though.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, if I am writing an email where I don't know who will be reading it, how should I address them? Is hello acceptable?
I’d usually just go with

“Good afternoon,”

or

“Dear Graduate Recruitment”

If I knew the team I was sending it to.

If I didn’t know the team, then I’d go with the safer option of Dear Sir/Madam rather than Hello/Hi

Ole1999

Star Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jun 5, 2020
Hi Jessica just wondering if you can help.

I have seen the BBC advertise for a graduate solicitor apprenticeship with a start date in January 2022. The apprenticeship includes funding and preparation for the new SQE exams.

I am confused because the eligibility requirements in the job description states that non-law graduates (like myself) applying for the role must have completed the GDL by January 2022 to be considered for the position.

Why are they asking for non-law graduates to posses the GDL when this is no longer a route possible/needed for qualification? If they are funding for the SQE, why do they want graduates with a GDL? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica just wondering if you can help.

I have seen the BBC advertise for a graduate solicitor apprenticeship with a start date in January 2022. The apprenticeship includes funding and preparation for the new SQE exams.

I am confused because the eligibility requirements in the job description states that non-law graduates (like myself) applying for the role must have completed the GDL by January 2022 to be considered for the position.

Why are they asking for non-law graduates to posses the GDL when this is no longer a route possible/needed for qualification? If they are funding for the SQE, why do they want graduates with a GDL? Thanks!
Because the GDL will be like a prep course that will give you the foundation knowledge of law that a law-graduate will already have. The SQE studies will need that knowledge, but will apply it more practically (like the LPC currently does). It is basically saying you are unlikely to be able to take the SQE prep-course without having this level of knowledge.

Ole1999

Star Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jun 5, 2020
Because the GDL will be like a prep course that will give you the foundation knowledge of law that a law-graduate will already have. The SQE studies will need that knowledge, but will apply it more practically (like the LPC currently does). It is basically saying you are unlikely to be able to take the SQE prep-course without having this level of knowledge.
So then why are the SRA phasing out the GDL if you need the knowledge from the GDL to be able to do the SQE? I was under the impression that once I graduate this year, I can then go straight onto preparing for the SQE.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So then why are the SRA phasing out the GDL if you need the knowledge from the GDL to be able to do the SQE? I was under the impression that once I graduate this year, I can then go straight onto preparing for the SQE.
The GDL is a compulsory and regulated course. If you were self funding your SQE prep, you could choose to self study or get private tuition.

Employers like the BBC just want the security of a reputable course with a regulated academic provider, especially all the time the SQE is new and no one knows how easy it will be to pass the assessments. In time, I suspect they will be more open minded.

You can choose to do the SQE if you want to. You also can choose to do the GDL as the last course for those wanting to be solicitors will exist until December 2021.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker

I was due to interview at a X firm on Tuesday 6th April for the VS. This week I have received 2 VS offers from other firms that are time sensitive and overlaps with the X's VS dates. Therefore, I have decided to pull out of X's recruitment process. I emailed grad rec today to withdraw but just received an email noting that she is out of office until 6th April. Should I try and get into contact with someone else? I do not have another contact/number and there is no info related to the grad rec team on the website.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I was due to interview at a X firm on Tuesday 6th April for the VS. This week I have received 2 VS offers from other firms that are time sensitive and overlaps with the X's VS dates. Therefore, I have decided to pull out of X's recruitment process. I emailed grad rec today to withdraw but just received an email noting that she is out of office until 6th April. Should I try and get into contact with someone else? I do not have another contact/number and there is no info related to the grad rec team on the website.
Everyone will be out to the 6th due to the bank holidays.

I would call first thing on Tuesday morning to, to ensure they have got the message. There will be a main number for the firm on their website, even if that is just going through their switchboard.

Reactions: 33c

Ole1999

Star Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jun 5, 2020
The GDL is a compulsory and regulated course. If you were self funding your SQE prep, you could choose to self study or get private tuition.

Employers like the BBC just want the security of a reputable course with a regulated academic provider, especially all the time the SQE is new and no one knows how easy it will be to pass the assessments. In time, I suspect they will be more open minded.

You can choose to do the SQE if you want to. You also can choose to do the GDL as the last course for those wanting to be solicitors will exist until December 2021.
Okay thank you that makes sense.

So assuming I don’t land a training contract this year, what would you recommend for me to study - SQE prep course or a law conversion degree that incorporates SQE preparation?

I’m worried that if I just do the prep course, future firms that I apply to won’t look at me as favourable as others who have done the postgraduate degree.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hi Jessica

Happy Easter!

Two of my summer vacation schemes (for 2023 TC) have a few 2022 TC spaces. What factors do grad rec teams consider when allocating candidates to an earlier intake, other than eligibility?

Let’s say three candidates performed well on the vacation scheme and communicated their interest in starting their TC earlier during the exit interview, but there are only two 2022 TC spaces. How can these candidates put forward a strong business case to be selected for the earlier intake (if it comes to that)?

Thank you in advance :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Okay thank you that makes sense.

So assuming I don’t land a training contract this year, what would you recommend for me to study - SQE prep course or a law conversion degree that incorporates SQE preparation?

I’m worried that if I just do the prep course, future firms that I apply to won’t look at me as favourable as others who have done the postgraduate degree.
It really depends on the firms you are applying to and what system they will be using. For anyone looking to take either course in the next 12-18 months, I probably wouldn’t rush into either if I was self funding.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

Happy Easter!

Two of my summer vacation schemes (for 2023 TC) have a few 2022 TC spaces. What factors do grad rec teams consider when allocating candidates to an earlier intake, other than eligibility?

Let’s say three candidates performed well on the vacation scheme and communicated their interest in starting their TC earlier during the exit interview, but there are only two 2022 TC spaces. How can these candidates put forward a strong business case to be selected for the earlier intake (if it comes to that)?

Thank you in advance :)
Usually the strength of performance. The strongest candidate will be offered the earlier intake. I don’t think you can really plead a business case unfortunately - your business case is your performance.

The only other factor that may help is if you have a TC offer with another firm that is earlier too.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Holly

AspiringSolicitor99

Standard Member
  • Jan 3, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I have been offered a vacation scheme that clashes with the last week of my term, which poses some difficulty as I only have the right to work 20 hours during term time under my Tier 4 visa. I am wondering if there are any possible workarounds for such a scenario or is likely that I will just not be able to accept the scheme?

They do have another run, but it clashes with another scheme that I am not inclined to renege upon at this stage.

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I have been offered a vacation scheme that clashes with the last week of my term, which poses some difficulty as I only have the right to work 20 hours during term time under my Tier 4 visa. I am wondering if there are any possible workarounds for such a scenario or is likely that I will just not be able to accept the scheme?

They do have another run, but it clashes with another scheme that I am not inclined to renege upon at this stage.

Thank you!
    The only time I have heard someone getting an exemption is through your university. However, this was sometime ago now and I think universities are much less likely to do it for fear of getting their Tier 4 licences revoked. I would speak to your university in the first instance.

You could also ask the firm whether you could start a week later based on this issue, but in all honesty missing the first week is the most troublesome week to miss.

The firm’s answer is likely just to move you the the later scheme, but if you cannot do that and won’t renege it is best to explain that upfront the the firm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.