Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

AspiringSolicitor99

Standard Member
  • Jan 3, 2020
    The only time I have heard someone getting an exemption is through your university. However, this was sometime ago now and I think universities are much less likely to do it for fear of getting their Tier 4 licences revoked. I would speak to your university in the first instance.

You could also ask the firm whether you could start a week later based on this issue, but in all honesty missing the first week is the most troublesome week to miss.

The firm’s answer is likely just to move you the the later scheme, but if you cannot do that and won’t renege it is best to explain that upfront the the firm.
    Thank you for your prompt reply!

I am presently located outside the UK and would be doing the vac scheme remotely. Given that I am not located in the UK (and hence visa restrictions may not apply), do you happen to know if the 20-hour limit would still apply?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for your prompt reply!

I am presently located outside the UK and would be doing the vac scheme remotely. Given that I am not located in the UK (and hence visa restrictions may not apply), do you happen to know if the 20-hour limit would still apply?
    Doesn’t work like that unfortunately. You’re employed in a UK jurisdiction and under a UK tax system.

You’d have to get the firm to employ you outside of the UK, which they probably won’t do because of the complications of tax processes and not wanting to manipulate the system and potentially again be at risk with HMRC or UKVI.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi Jess! I hope you had a nice Easter!

I wanted to ask your opinion on something. I am applying for this paralegal position and the application is very straightforward - CV, education and work experience.

At the end of the form there is a section to add a "Cover Letter / Other Notes". However, it is clearly stated there is no need to write a cover letter as my other information "speaks for itself".

Do you think I should still a write a cover letter?

I am thinking that if I do, this can be seen as me putting more effort into the application, but then I worry that any cover letter I write might not be that good and this can negatively impact my application. Also, if I do write a cover letter, this would basically be a short reiteration of most of the information already on the application form.

And finally in relation to this - would you advice on changing my CV in a way to make it more tailored to the position? And if so, any tips on how to make that happen?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess! I hope you had a nice Easter!

I wanted to ask your opinion on something. I am applying for this paralegal position and the application is very straightforward - CV, education and work experience.

At the end of the form there is a section to add a "Cover Letter / Other Notes". However, it is clearly stated there is no need to write a cover letter as my other information "speaks for itself".

Do you think I should still a write a cover letter?

I am thinking that if I do, this can be seen as me putting more effort into the application, but then I worry that any cover letter I write might not be that good and this can negatively impact my application. Also, if I do write a cover letter, this would basically be a short reiteration of most of the information already on the application form.

And finally in relation to this - would you advice on changing my CV in a way to make it more tailored to the position? And if so, any tips on how to make that happen?
    There’s not point doing it if you are just repeating information elsewhere.

If you haven’t explained anywhere else why you are applying to this paralegal role, this might be a good opportunity to do so though.

To tailor your CV, look at the job description/job advert for the role. Are there any specific elements of the job highlighted as needed (eg skills/experience/knowledge)? If so, how can you incorporate those into your descriptions? If you have studied the subject areas related to the department or have experience in working in that type of law, ensure that is clear. If you have had similar responsibilities in other jobs, maybe reorder your bullet points so these are at the top of your descriptions.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    There’s not point doing it if you are just repeating information elsewhere.

If you haven’t explained anywhere else why you are applying to this paralegal role, this might be a good opportunity to do so though.

To tailor your CV, look at the job description/job advert for the role. Are there any specific elements of the job highlighted as needed (eg skills/experience/knowledge)? If so, how can you incorporate those into your descriptions? If you have studied the subject areas related to the department or have experience in working in that type of law, ensure that is clear. If you have had similar responsibilities in other jobs, maybe reorder your bullet points so these are at the top of your descriptions.
    Great, thank you!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, what do interviewers want to hear when they ask "what is the role of a trainee?" or "what would a trainee's role be in such a deal?" It is very easy to tell them the exact tasks but then it will obviously come across as boring and robotic. What can the applicant add to the answer to make it more interesting and personal? Or are they looking for the exact task list?

Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, what do interviewers want to hear when they ask "what is the role of a trainee?" or "what would a trainee's role be in such a deal?" It is very easy to tell them the exact tasks but then it will obviously come across as boring and robotic. What can the applicant add to the answer to make it more interesting and personal? Or are they looking for the exact task list?

Thank you
    They aren’t expecting to be interesting or personal. They are expecting you to answer factually so they can see you understand the nature of the job you will be doing.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker I am lacking ideas for answering the interview question "tell me about a time you made a judgement call"? Do you know what sort of things the interviewers may be looking for by any chance??!

Many thanks!!
    They are looking for your analytical thinking when making decisions, not the decision itself - so what factors you consider and how you make a judgement based on different factors, information. They could also be looking at your appetite for risk and your independent thinking.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lawgirl123

TiredPG

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 6, 2021
    Hi Jessica

A firm I had an assessment centre with, for a vacation scheme, has encouraged me to re-apply for their training contract twice - in their initial PFO and when I asked for feedback. Both times stressed that my application for the vacation scheme was very strong. However, the application for the training contract is the same, albeit with one additional question. One of the repeated questions is: 'Tell us about a time you had a good idea'.

I haven't undertaken any new experiences since my vacation scheme application, given it was only a few months ago. The only substantive difference I can think to include is my motivations for wanting to join the firm being strengthened post-AC. I'm curious as to how much difference would be expected between the two applications and questions that are the same, and was wondering if you had any thoughts?

Thank you!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica

A firm I had an assessment centre with, for a vacation scheme, has encouraged me to re-apply for their training contract twice - in their initial PFO and when I asked for feedback. Both times stressed that my application for the vacation scheme was very strong. However, the application for the training contract is the same, albeit with one additional question. One of the repeated questions is: 'Tell us about a time you had a good idea'.

I haven't undertaken any new experiences since my vacation scheme application, given it was only a few months ago. The only substantive difference I can think to include is my motivations for wanting to join the firm being strengthened post-AC. I'm curious as to how much difference would be expected between the two applications and questions that are the same, and was wondering if you had any thoughts?

Thank you!!
    There won’t be an expected difference. Just update and refine as you have suggested.

Reactions: TiredPG

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker would really appreciate your advice on this.

If a firm doesn't have a separate section for specifying extracurricular activities in their application form, would it be advisable to mention extracurricular activities (such as university societies and volunteering positions) in the work experience section?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker would really appreciate your advice on this.

If a firm doesn't have a separate section for specifying extracurricular activities in their application form, would it be advisable to mention extracurricular activities (such as university societies and volunteering positions) in the work experience section?

Thank you!
    No - the firm probably just doesn’t care for extra curriculars, so I wouldn’t force them in other sections.

Reactions: djqb

B1806

Distinguished Member
    Dec 31, 2019
    Hi again, @Jessica Booker and thanks so much for all the answers! They've been extremely helpful!

I just have two onboarding-related questions if that's all right!

First of all, the firm I have a vac scheme with is asking me to apply for a national insurance number, as I've stated I don't have one on their onboarding portal. The thing is, I'm not resident in the UK at present and am doing remote study due to COVID. I would assume this means I can't apply for a NIN since a prerequisite is that you "live in England & Wales". I have family who live in England and I always stayed with them when I went there (except of course while I was staying at halls during my first year of uni) so could I use that address to apply? I'll likely be staying with them while doing my vac scheme in June too. Note that my permanent residence is in a foreign country.

Second, I'm a bit confused as to the DBS section on the Vero Screening platform. I previously obtained a DBS certificate for volunteer work. On the certificate, there are some digits that constitute my "certificate number". However, Vero is asking for my "profile number". I don't have a DBS profile since my certificate application went via a third party (if I understand correctly). Are the two numbers the same? The screening form is also asking about "position held or applied for". Is that referring to the position I'm being onboarded for now (i.e. the vac scheme) or the one I originally got the DBS certificate for?

Finally, in the "activity history" section, do I list insight schemes as well? Some of these only lasted 2-3 days and I'm unsure what I could categorise them as (Work experience? Internship?) and what I could fill in where it says "reasons for leaving". Would I also have to include a student consulting project I worked on for a company?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    HI @Jessica Booker Just wondering if firms are likely to provide visa sponsorship for paralegal roles? I am on T4 visa and cannot seem to find any part time paralegal and cannot work full time unless outside of term time? Thanks.
    Not Jess, but as an international who spent a very long time looking for a paralegal role and didn't find one, no. Firms are very unlikely to sponsor a visa for a paralegal role unless for some reason the candidate has a very niche skillset or language fluency that the firm can't find otherwise.

Reactions: AAA_a

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    HI @Jessica Booker Just wondering if firms are likely to provide visa sponsorship for paralegal roles? I am on T4 visa and cannot seem to find any part time paralegal and cannot work full time unless outside of term time? Thanks.
    Far less likely as many paralegal roles won't meet the salary criteria for the visa, and then the additional costs for a high flight risk role plus a good domestic market supply also means it probably isn't going to be necessary in most instances. There will be exceptions though - probably any paralegal roles that require fluency in another language for instance.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.