Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
A week ago!
I’d personally wait until Tuesday morning.

It could easily be that someone is on holiday this week or they are just backed up with other things. You might want to give them a call rather than email so you get a quicker answer about when to expect things.

You are over worrying a bit - to you a week feels like a lifetime at the moment and to grad rec it will feel like a few hours. I am sure everything is all ok. It could easily be that they needed to check in with someone before coming back to you on your questions.

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker a quick question about A-Level grades, if you don't mind. If a firm asks whether AAB and you got A*AC on the application (yes/no answer) - what's the right answer as the grades asked for are worth the same UCAS points but are not AAB?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker a quick question about A-Level grades, if you don't mind. If a firm asks whether AAB and you got A*AC on the application (yes/no answer) - what's the right answer as the grades asked for are worth the same UCAS points but are not AAB?
    The answer is technically yes as there will always be equivalents. Some people won’t have A-levels (eg IB, Scottish Highers) so it isn’t an exact definition.

Reactions: N.9

k.k

Apr 29, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker - I was just completing this question "Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations, virtual events etc". However, i'm struggling to write more than 250 words (the form allows for 350 words max). Should i go into more detail per event to bring up the word count?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker - I was just completing this question "Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations, virtual events etc". However, i'm struggling to write more than 250 words (the form allows for 350 words max). Should i go into more detail per event to bring up the word count?
    It doesn’t really need details of the events. At best you could highlight the key reason you attended that event or what you gained from attending, rather than describing the event itself (which isn’t relevant).

Reactions: k.k

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

How long does it usually take for the actual contract to come through via email after the offer call?

Many thanks
    Can be anything from an hour to 6 weeks.

If you haven’t had it within 7 working days (a week and a half) just give them a call and ask politely when to expect it.

Reactions: jan28

San

Standard Member
    Jun 27, 2021
    Hii Jessica,

I have a telephonic interview scheduled and I am sort of struggling with the greatest/proudest achievement question.

One of the examples that I was planning to use was when I overcame my fear of public speaking by participating in a intra-university selection round for participating in moot court competitions.

I also have another example about my journey from being someone who ran away from academic writing to now being an editor at a university journal.

However, my concern is that these may be viewed as lacking confidence or inter-personal skills.

What are your thoughts? Any help appreciated!

2020Applicant

Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are doing well. I would really appreciate if you had the time to answer a question for me please.

My question is about reasonable adjustments in law firms and your experience with them (if applicable), specifically for those with mental health conditions (of a severity that is covered by the Equality Act).

I was wondering what the typical adjustments that can be made are and whether working from home or working from a quiet room in the office is something that is available. I am aware that things vary by firms and individual needs but I was just hoping to gain a general perspective if you wouldn't mind providing some insight.

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I hope this message finds you well.

When will firms release the dates for application windows?

Also, I want to prepare for the upcoming application cycle early - like starting July/August. How can I do so without knowing the questions since the apps don't open until Sept I think? Is there a way to find out the questions beforehand or should I just prepare answers from last years' questions and hope that they stay the same? Any advice here?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I hope this message finds you well.

When will firms release the dates for application windows?

Also, I want to prepare for the upcoming application cycle early - like starting July/August. How can I do so without knowing the questions since the apps don't open until Sept I think? Is there a way to find out the questions beforehand or should I just prepare answers from last years' questions and hope that they stay the same? Any advice here?

Thanks!
    Might not be until mid September. Most firms will not confirm until they have reviewed/updates their marketing materials/website etc. That doesn’t tend to happen until after vacation schemes are finished.

You could prep last year’s applications but you just take a risk of wasting your time. I saw that enough with Macfarlanes applications this time last year, when people prepped their 2020 application form and they changed it significantly. It’s just whether you are willing to take that risk.

A firm is unlikely to tell you the questions before you can apply though.

You can do general preparation and research on the firms though - that could be a good way to prep before applications open, as it then should be easier/quicker to write your applications.

Reactions: Jaysen and Dwight

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Is there anywhere I can go to see last year's application questions for law firms?
    We do have an application database for our paid subscribers that would show previous years questions.

I don’t think there would be anywhere else that would hold this information, but you could start a thread asking others to provide their previous app questions or you could email the firm directly to ask whether they could confirm the questions they will be using (they might not provide this though).

Reactions: Dwight

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If a firm asks you why you weren't successful on a vacation scheme, how should you answer it?
    In the vast majority of cases, honestly, based on the feedback you were given by the firm. But you should focus on what you have done to either develop on that feedback (if appropriate) or focus on why the firm you are applying to wouldn’t apply so much to that feedback (eg motivation etc).

ChuPnl

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Feb 9, 2021
    Hi Jessica,

I'm in a bit of a difficult position at the moment - I'm currently living at home (outside of the UK) where I completed the final year of my degree, and will be moving back to the UK in September.
    I'm currently drafting an application for a TC at a mid-size/small-ish firm, and I do not know which address to put on my cover letter and CV.

Essentially, I don't want the fact that I'm currently living abroad to put them off hiring me, as I've had interviewers ask me about whether I would like to return to my home country later / not hire me as I wasn't moving back 'soon enough' in the past.
    At the same time, I don't know whether putting my future address down would be a great idea either (especially if I am called in for an in-person interview prior to my moving back date and have to explain that I'm not currently in the UK).

Should I mention this in my application email?
    Stating that although I am currently based in X country, I will be moving back in September and would be able to travel to the UK specifically for an interview prior to this date, if required.

Thank you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.