Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was just having a look at CC's app and I have a very stupid question since this is the first time that I've seen a law application. Can we totally skip the sections which don't have asterisks next to them? I'm doubtful because other than the name, address and the phone number, there isn't much that is mandatory and this is almost 40% of the app. For example, for sections that ask about the languages that I speak but aren't mandatory, can I omit it completely?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I was just having a look at CC's app and I have a very stupid question since this is the first time that I've seen a law application. Can we totally skip the sections which don't have asterisks next to them? I'm doubtful because other than the name, address and the phone number, there isn't much that is mandatory and this is almost 40% of the app. For example, for sections that ask about the languages that I speak but aren't mandatory, can I omit it completely?

Thanks
I personally wouldn’t omit anything unless it doesn’t apply to you. If you have fluency in other languages, it would be a mistake not to include them just because the question isn’t mandatory.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm glad I asked this question, turns out it wasn't all that stupid. Thanks for the insight.
See every question as an opportunity to present something additional/different about you. A lot of questions won’t be compulsory just because they won’t apply to all candidates (and that’s fine if that’s the case) but if you have information to present that is relevant to that question, definitely include it.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker, I have a non TC/VS related question and I hope it's okay to ask! As I had another unsuccessful round of apps, I've been applying for paralegal roles and have just been offered one at a firm. However a few things have become clear in their offer which weren't clear upon applying/interview, and I wanted to check these...

1) The job title is Trainee Litigation Paralegal although the job was advertised as Litigation Paralegal. I imagine this is because they decided at interview I'm not quite up to the next level, but I wanted to ask whether having Trainee in the job title is likely to disadvantage me when I'm applying for TCs next year? Or do firms care more about what I'm actually doing?

2) It's a permanent role and the notice period seems to be 3 months. I'm really surprised at this as I've got a few years of work experience in different companies and the longest notice period I've come across was 2 months, and this was because I was a really integral part of the leadership team... I feel like this is problematic for applying for TCs as I won't have 3 months of notice before needing to leave. Is it possible to negotiate the notice period now, before I sign the contract, or is this an immediate red flag for the firm that I'm not planning on staying permanently?

TIA for any advice you can offer!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I have a non TC/VS related question and I hope it's okay to ask! As I had another unsuccessful round of apps, I've been applying for paralegal roles and have just been offered one at a firm. However a few things have become clear in their offer which weren't clear upon applying/interview, and I wanted to check these...

1) The job title is Trainee Litigation Paralegal although the job was advertised as Litigation Paralegal. I imagine this is because they decided at interview I'm not quite up to the next level, but I wanted to ask whether having Trainee in the job title is likely to disadvantage me when I'm applying for TCs next year? Or do firms care more about what I'm actually doing?

2) It's a permanent role and the notice period seems to be 3 months. I'm really surprised at this as I've got a few years of work experience in different companies and the longest notice period I've come across was 2 months, and this was because I was a really integral part of the leadership team... I feel like this is problematic for applying for TCs as I won't have 3 months of notice before needing to leave. Is it possible to negotiate the notice period now, before I sign the contract, or is this an immediate red flag for the firm that I'm not planning on staying permanently?

TIA for any advice you can offer!
1) no - it’s just a job title

2) Three months is actually pretty common for permanent roles as this is how long it can take to backfill the role should you resign. You won’t be able to negotiate the notice period down - I wouldn’t even attempt it as it basically says you are looking to leave already.

Gabriella7498

M&A Bootcamp
Sep 23, 2020
Hi Jessica! I've been invited to a first stage interview with graduate recruitment and they asked me to send them a headshot/photo of myself for "reviewing purposes". I thought this was weird since it had never happened to me before. Do you know why they would need a picture of me at this stage? Is this a common practice at all?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica! I've been invited to a first stage interview with graduate recruitment and they asked me to send them a headshot/photo of myself for "reviewing purposes". I thought this was weird since it had never happened to me before. Do you know why they would need a picture of me at this stage? Is this a common practice at all?
Actually more common as it sounds.

Many employers are doing it to ensure you are the person taking the interview!

Reactions: Gabriella7498

TK123

Jun 30, 2021
Hi Jessica! Apologies for the long message in advance.

I'm currently completing my LLM, however I have had issues completing my dissertation this summer due to having a 3 month internship, having to complete an exam in August as well as keeping up with the application cycle among other things. I have now reached interview stage with a couple of firms and I am starting to worry whether postponing my dissertation would be frowned upon by them. I have completed all of my other modules and received results, but am worried that should I receive a TC offer, a firm would revoke the offer as I won't have technically completed my LLM with the dissertation still outstanding. For reference, the dissertation can be postponed to March next year but obviously I won't receive my result for it until after that. I am wondering whether this will be a non-issue or whether postponing it could result in a rejection or even a suspension of an offer. Thanks for your help!

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
How common is it for firms, after a final round partner interview, to hold off on giving decisions until the end of the month? For context I'm a direct TC applicant doing the same final round TC interview that's given to vac schemers, having passed the AC and video interview. I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and was told I'll hear back at the end of the August, but also that I should call them if another firm offers me a TC in the meantime.

I assume they only have a small number of candidates to interview at this point, so I'm just curious about the timing. Is it because they want to interview everyone before they make a decision, or need to meet with the interviewing partners, and so on?

Checking my phone and emails constantly!

• 🤝
Reactions: SS1

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica! Apologies for the long message in advance.

I'm currently completing my LLM, however I have had issues completing my dissertation this summer due to having a 3 month internship, having to complete an exam in August as well as keeping up with the application cycle among other things. I have now reached interview stage with a couple of firms and I am starting to worry whether postponing my dissertation would be frowned upon by them. I have completed all of my other modules and received results, but am worried that should I receive a TC offer, a firm would revoke the offer as I won't have technically completed my LLM with the dissertation still outstanding. For reference, the dissertation can be postponed to March next year but obviously I won't receive my result for it until after that. I am wondering whether this will be a non-issue or whether postponing it could result in a rejection or even a suspension of an offer. Thanks for your help!
No offer would be contingent on an LLM where it isn’t necessary for a TC, so I don't think you have anything to concern yourself about here

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How common is it for firms, after a final round partner interview, to hold off on giving decisions until the end of the month? For context I'm a direct TC applicant doing the same final round TC interview that's given to vac schemers, having passed the AC and video interview. I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and was told I'll hear back at the end of the August, but also that I should call them if another firm offers me a TC in the meantime.

I assume they only have a small number of candidates to interview at this point, so I'm just curious about the timing. Is it because they want to interview everyone before they make a decision, or need to meet with the interviewing partners, and so on?

Checking my phone and emails constantly!

Very common!

Yes, could easily be that they are waiting to interview everyone. They have said the end of the month so to me there is little need in checking your phone. Just keep it charged up - they will contact you by Tuesday.

Reactions: M777

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, in the work experience section, should we put the latest experiences first or the older ones?

Thanks.
Latest first usually.

Some people choose to put them into sections, and put their legal experience first, but again back date it with the most recent first, then put things like part time jobs /volunteering etc after the legal work experience even if it is the most recent

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

S30

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2019
Good morning @Jessica Booker

I just wanted to ask there is a section in the Allen & Overy application where you need to input the references.

However, my tutor has now left the university, and will be moving to another university in September. He has given me his new email address - can I still add that on my applications? He has also sent me a reference letter already, providing me with a character reference and confirming my grades, can I upload that letter to the portal instead? or shall I just add his email address so the firm can contact him?

Thank you, looking forward to hearing from you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Good morning @Jessica Booker

I just wanted to ask there is a section in the Allen & Overy application where you need to input the references.

However, my tutor has now left the university, and will be moving to another university in September. He has given me his new email address - can I still add that on my applications? He has also sent me a reference letter already, providing me with a character reference and confirming my grades, can I upload that letter to the portal instead? or shall I just add his email address so the firm can contact him?

Thank you, looking forward to hearing from you :)
The firm is likely to just ask your university for the reference rather than the individual referee. I would put a contact for the faculty office and upload your letter from your tutor as an additional document (purely where you have it).

Reactions: S30

S30

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2019
The firm is likely to just ask your university for the reference rather than the individual referee. I would put a contact for the faculty office and upload your letter from your tutor as an additional document (purely where you have it).
Thank you @Jessica Booker - I do not know anyone from the faculty office. The remaining academic tutor I know has also left the university. Can I just provide his new email address so he can re-confirm everything again? :)

Also, my university is one who does not even bother to respond to emails. So, is it best for him to provide me the academic reference?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you @Jessica Booker - I do not know anyone from the faculty office. The remaining academic tutor I know has also left the university. Can I just provide his new email address so he can re-confirm everything again? :)

Also, my university is one who does not even bother to respond to emails. So, is it best for him to provide me the academic reference?
You don't need to know anyone - the reference is attached to your university/faculty. Someone will be able to provide it.

If the worse comes to the worst, you have your reference letter attached. That would be sufficient (your extutor is only going to replicate that information).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.