Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Dear @Jessica Booker, I have a question about the rule on not applying to more than one vacation scheme per one recruiting cycle. I have just realised that I started an application (which I haven't finished filling out) for a winter vacation scheme at Linklaters, and on the system it says 'application unsuccessful.' On their website, they say 'Please only apply to one scheme per academic year.' I currently have an ongoing summer vacation scheme application for which I've completed the Watson Glaser and CAPP assessment, and is at the 'candidate review' stage. Do you think it likely that my summer vacation scheme application will not be considered/will be automatically rejected based on the unfinished winter vacation scheme application?
If your application was never submitted, then your first application will be the summer application. An incomplete/unsubmitted application will not count.

M991

Distinguished Member
Mar 14, 2020
Hello @Jessica Booker!

I am filling out Freshfields TC application and I am a bit confused.

I am an international student, so I did neither A Levels nor GCSEs (but equivalents). It says on the website that they do not assess GCSEs - does it mean that I do not need to include my GCSE equivalent qualification grades in the application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker!

I am filling out Freshfields TC application and I am a bit confused.

I am an international student, so I did neither A Levels nor GCSEs (but equivalents). It says on the website that they do not assess GCSEs - does it mean that I do not need to include my GCSE equivalent qualification grades in the application?
I wouldn’t include GCSE level education on their application - it’s quite common for it to not be on there

Reactions: M991
Hello @Jessica Booker, hope you're doing well! :)

I am in the process of applying for the Hogan Lovells Direct Training Contract, and I had a couple of question I was hoping you could help me with. As an international student based outside the UK, a few parts of the application form (primarily the academic results/details) aren't specifically catered to International students. I was a little confused as to how to approach this:

1. Regarding the "Performance at University" section - In this section the application portal states- "Provide all grades in percentage terms", and the section also reads "0-100" above the text box. Unlike the sections on pre-university education, this section does not have an open text box. Hence, this is the only place where I can include my university grades.

My University results are available in a 0-100 marking scale. However, in addition to the 0-100 marking, a GPA is also assigned accordingly. As the application portal states that the grade should be provided in a 0-100 format in percentage terms, should I not mention the GPA assigned anywhere? I would have preferred to mention both, however - there is no space in the University Results section to provide the grading scale explanation. I am a little apprehensive to mention the GPA along with the marks out of 100, since there is no place I can explain the grading scale, and I don't want to unnecessarily complicate stuff for Grad Rec (especially being an international student). As I do have the marks out of 100 for each module, would it be better if I mention solely the marks out of 100? (I have also attached a screenshot of the form, for your convenience)

2. Regarding the Pre-University academics - The Secondary Education section of the application portal includes an open text box for non-UK qualifications. The text box states "Please list your examination results by subject". While I have done this, I have also mentioned the grading scale explanation right after the results. Would that be okay? Further, the Post-16 Examination section also does not have any open text box to mention additional information, similar to the University Results section. I have just mentioned my examination marks out of 100 (as marked in the Indian equivalent of A levels). Does this seem alright?

So sorry for the multiple queries - the process is somewhat confusing as an international applicant. I would be very grateful for your help with this. Thank you so much!
Hi @Jessica Booker, apologies for tagging you again on this. I'd be grateful for your take on this, as the Hogan Lovells Grad Rec has not really clarified the doubt for me. Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker, hope you're doing well! :)

I am in the process of applying for the Hogan Lovells Direct Training Contract, and I had a couple of question I was hoping you could help me with. As an international student based outside the UK, a few parts of the application form (primarily the academic results/details) aren't specifically catered to International students. I was a little confused as to how to approach this:

1. Regarding the "Performance at University" section - In this section the application portal states- "Provide all grades in percentage terms", and the section also reads "0-100" above the text box. Unlike the sections on pre-university education, this section does not have an open text box. Hence, this is the only place where I can include my university grades.

My University results are available in a 0-100 marking scale. However, in addition to the 0-100 marking, a GPA is also assigned accordingly. As the application portal states that the grade should be provided in a 0-100 format in percentage terms, should I not mention the GPA assigned anywhere? I would have preferred to mention both, however - there is no space in the University Results section to provide the grading scale explanation. I am a little apprehensive to mention the GPA along with the marks out of 100, since there is no place I can explain the grading scale, and I don't want to unnecessarily complicate stuff for Grad Rec (especially being an international student). As I do have the marks out of 100 for each module, would it be better if I mention solely the marks out of 100? (I have also attached a screenshot of the form, for your convenience)

2. Regarding the Pre-University academics - The Secondary Education section of the application portal includes an open text box for non-UK qualifications. The text box states "Please list your examination results by subject". While I have done this, I have also mentioned the grading scale explanation right after the results. Would that be okay? Further, the Post-16 Examination section also does not have any open text box to mention additional information, similar to the University Results section. I have just mentioned my examination marks out of 100 (as marked in the Indian equivalent of A levels). Does this seem alright?

So sorry for the multiple queries - the process is somewhat confusing as an international applicant. I would be very grateful for your help with this. Thank you so much!
1) I'd provide the GPA and your 1-100 module grades. Firms will know what a GPA is, so there isn't a need to explain this, especially if you are also providing your individual 1-100 module grade scores.

2) Yes, that is an appropriate approach to take as long as your explanation for the grading system is as concise as possible.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker out of curiosity, for non-rolling applications do the graduate recruitment team usually make a decision after reading all applications, or do they inform applicants of their outcome as they read them?
Technically could be either approach even within the same process. They could just outrightly reject anyone who hasn't met their basic standards as they go, and then reevaluate the remaining applications that are more borderline once they have read all the applications.

There are so many different approaches they could take, I wouldn't really try to work out what they are doing to be honest with you.

Reactions: Crystal86

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , I hope you are well! I very fortunately received a TC offer, and I have been asked to register for the LPC by the end of January. I am currently an undergraduate student, and have made 2 other direct TC applications but have not heard back. Please may I know that if I register for the LPC, when will the firm I currently have an offer with have to pay my tuition fees for the LPC? thank you!
In some form, most likely immediately. It might not be all of the fees they pay up front but they are likely to be liable for all of them even if they haven’t paid them yet (eg payment might be in instalments, but those instalments will have to be paid no matter what).

Reactions: starry_bun

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you @Jessica Booker ! Would you recommend me asking the other firms about my application? But i do have to register for my LPC by around the end of January
You could ask the firms you have applied to whether a full recruitment process and decision could be completed by the end of this month.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks @Jessica Booker ! Final question: If the firm I applied to specifically said that the interviews will only take place in March/April?
Then it’s unlikely they will be able to make a decision ahead of then unfortunately. You could still ask, but I think the likelihood is going to be the earliest they could offer you in April.

Reactions: starry_bun

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker.

What would your advice be for video interview dress code? I have seen varying opinions so far, with some suggesting a business casual outfit (eg sweater and a shirt under), while others recommend wearing suit and tie..
I think advice has changed in the last couple of years. My advice pre Covid would have been to wear a suit and tie. However, with remote interviews/meetings and people working in their homes this has become much more open minded. I would make sure you look smart - eg the type of thing you might wear if you meeting your partners parents for the first time and wanted to make a good impression - but I don’t think you need to be suited and booted. A collared shirt would be sufficient rather than a full suit and tie.

Reactions: Casual

M991

Distinguished Member
Mar 14, 2020
Hello @Jessica Booker!

Hope you're well.

I would like to re-apply to a firm where I was rejected after VI last year. While I was looking over my old application and the firm's website, I realised that in the previous year they did not really work on (or have not disclosed) any big project development and finance matter (the area I am interested in). The firm is relatively small and I believe that these projects take years to develop, but I am not sure whether it is appropriate to mention projects from 2016 or 2018 as I don't want to come across as I did not pay attention to the dates. What do you think?

Thank you very much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker!

Hope you're well.

I would like to re-apply to a firm where I was rejected after VI last year. While I was looking over my old application and the firm's website, I realised that in the previous year they did not really work on (or have not disclosed) any big project development and finance matter (the area I am interested in). The firm is relatively small and I believe that these projects take years to develop, but I am not sure whether it is appropriate to mention projects from 2016 or 2018 as I don't want to come across as I did not pay attention to the dates. What do you think?

Thank you very much!
Do you need to mention this specific projects? With many applications it may not actually add anything to an application by citing a specific project. It doesn’t necessarily back up your motivation and other evidence could be used.

Reactions: M991

m2001

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 24, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker

I'm preparing for an AC and just wondering about the question tell me about yourself. Should I approach it as a bit of a story in terms of from school, to deciding to study law and then my current position? Or is it more about your hobbies/interests?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.