Ask me anything: Future trainee at Clifford Chance

EllenH

Standard Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi @MightyMoe, sorry for the delay in replying, and please don't apologise - keep the questions coming, I'm happy to help!

As first gen to university it is really important to be conscious of what differentiates you from the main stream - there will definitely be something and it will only help you in terms of your applications to magic circle/ US firms.

In terms of working out which firms to apply to, I was very, very clear about the characteristics I was looking for in a firm and only applied to those firms which suited said characteristics. For example, I was personally only applying to firms with a) international reach b) office in Russia (I'm a Russian speaker) c) a clear gender equality strategy d) collaborative focus and culture, and e) pro bono which I was interested in. It was by tailoring my search profile for potential firms that I naturally tailored my actual applications. Given that the firms I chose had all/ some of those aforementioned characteristics it was very easy to transfer/ adapt my answers with a relatively short turnaround for each firm. Essentially, by tailoring the firm profile I simultaneously tailored my written application. I hope that makes sense.

I completely get where you are coming from in terms of magic circle firms seeming really similar to one another. I think ultimately it is up to you as an individual to differentiate between the firms by way of your experiences and preferences. To do this it is really important to try and meet the firm in some capacity whenever you can - Aspiring Solicitors is a fantastic scheme in that respect. Get a feel for the vibe of the firm, ask yourself - do you get on with these people? Can you imagine yourself working in this office? Are you excited at the prospect of applying? Why are you excited? Are there any differences in their training programme structures? etc etc. I know that is probably an unsatisfying answer but ultimately the firm wants to know why you prefer them over the rest, and I can't necessarily tell you that.

Wow you're a Russian speaker! Is there an opportunity to do work in Clifford Chance's Russian office?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

I see you have been giving some excellent advice and am wondering if you can guide me in the right direction.

I am currently working on this question: What do you understand to be the most significant challenge facing the firm at this current time? What has made you choose this challenge?

I have identified a few points which I think relevant to the question.

However I am very unsure if they want me to actually criticise the firm (but who am I to criticise their business strategy) or do they want me to talk about more a general challenge?

Also I have identified a few challenges which I think big international firms face, however find it difficult to actually apply it to the particular law firm I'm applying to (for example: I don't know if they have hourly rates or offer 'package' prices).

Hi Jillian,

Happy to help, but do you want to post your question in a new thread? (This is an old thread.)

Kate Spenser

Sep 29, 2018
    Hi, Amy. I would appreciate if you can help me with the one of the question that I found in the Training Contract application. 'Which skills do you now have which will be essential on day one of your TC?'. Are there any specific tasks giving on the day one of which I am not aware? Thank you in advance!

w2719a

Star Member
    Sep 9, 2019
    Hey all,

I've broken the once-a-week rule already as Amy Hillier has kindly offered to answer your questions this week. She's a future trainee at Clifford Chance and is helping me put together a very comprehensive interview guide - we'll be running through about 200 interview questions and how to answer each one!

To kick us off - Amy could you tell us a bit about yourself?

Can I ask if this guide has been put together yet?

Reactions: Lawstudent2200066

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.