Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey all,

I've broken the once-a-week rule already as Amy Hillier has kindly offered to answer your questions this week. She's a future trainee at Clifford Chance and is helping me put together a very comprehensive interview guide - we'll be running through about 200 interview questions and how to answer each one!

To kick us off - Amy could you tell us a bit about yourself?

Amy Hillier

Future Trainee
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi guys,

As Jaysen already mentioned, I'm a future trainee at Clifford Chance with a training contract starting Feb 2019. Currently studying the GDL at BPP Law School, having graduated with a degree in modern languages from Durham University. I also completed a spring vac scheme in 2017 with a top tier American law firm at their London office. I gained a TC in my second round of applications so I truly understand and empathise with the struggles of TC and VS apps! Also a member of Aspiring Solicitors (a diversity access scheme), given my state school education and being the first generation to attend university and first generation into the legal industry.

Very happy to answer any questions you may have - be those TC, VS, open day, networking related or otherwise.

Hope that I can be of some help!

Coralin96

Valued Member
    Early Bird
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi guys,

As Jaysen already mentioned, I'm a future trainee at Clifford Chance with a training contract starting Feb 2019. Currently studying the GDL at BPP Law School, having graduated with a degree in modern languages from Durham University. I also completed a spring vac scheme in 2017 with a top tier American law firm at their London office. I gained a TC in my second round of applications so I truly understand and empathise with the struggles of TC and VS apps! Also a member of Aspiring Solicitors (a diversity access scheme), given my state school education and being the first generation to attend university and first generation into the legal industry.

Very happy to answer any questions you may have - be those TC, VS, open day, networking related or otherwise.

Thanks so much for doing this Amy. I also went to a state school and if I'm honest I'm struggling at the moment after a lot of rejections last year and I'm having doubts about whether I'm going to get a TC. Did you have any doubts during the process? I often feel quite intimidated by the Oxbridge students who seem really well prepared!

Amy Hillier

Future Trainee
    Feb 28, 2018
    @Coralin96 don't give up! I 100% had my doubts throughout the year and a half that I was applying - especially because I had taken the risk of starting my GDL without a job lined up. The way I always used to think of it is that it only takes one offer to change everything. Almost everyone you meet with a TC has a whole host of rejections in the bag (myself included). I think not taking rejections to heart is also key. I used to find that having a couple of applications on the go or pending helped with my self-esteem!

As for feeling intimidated by Oxbridge students - there's no need. I went to an offer holder event with CC and I can honestly say I didn't meet a single person from Oxbridge. That's not to downplay their academics (which are clearly excellent), but what I'm trying to say is that in no way do you need to be Oxbridge educated to get a TC. Always focus on what you can bring to the table as an individual and not why you are like the rest. Perhaps you speak another language? Perhaps you have a particular niche interest that can be integrated into commercial law? I know it's difficult but try not to compare yourself :)

Coralin96

Valued Member
    Early Bird
    Feb 28, 2018
    @Coralin96 don't give up! I 100% had my doubts throughout the year and a half that I was applying - especially because I had taken the risk of starting my GDL without a job lined up. The way I always used to think of it is that it only takes one offer to change everything. Almost everyone you meet with a TC has a whole host of rejections in the bag (myself included). I think not taking rejections to heart is also key. I used to find that having a couple of applications on the go or pending helped with my self-esteem!

As for feeling intimidated by Oxbridge students - there's no need. I went to an offer holder event with CC and I can honestly say I didn't meet a single person from Oxbridge. That's not to downplay their academics (which are clearly excellent), but what I'm trying to say is that in no way do you need to be Oxbridge educated to get a TC. Always focus on what you can bring to the table as an individual and not why you are like the rest. Perhaps you speak another language? Perhaps you have a particular niche interest that can be integrated into commercial law? I know it's difficult but try not to compare yourself :)

Ahh this is so reassuring, thank you! I think because I went to a state school sometimes I feel out of depth, but you're right I should focus on myself and not try to compare myself

Reactions: Amy Hillier

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi guys,

Hi Amy, thanks for doing this and congratulations on Clifford Chance! I noticed you also applied to an American firm, so what made you choose Clifford Chance?

Amy Hillier

Future Trainee
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Amy, thanks for doing this and congratulations on Clifford Chance! I noticed you also applied to an American firm, so what made you choose CC?

Hi @FreddyS! First and foremost it was a bit of a personal dream of mine to work for Clifford Chance so it was always going to be my first choice. As for why - the training at Clifford Chance was over and above anything provided by the American law firms that I had been looking into. While the high trainee salary at American firms in London is an obvious draw, I view the training contract as primarily developmental and a continuation of your learning process as a future qualified solicitor. People often say that if you train with a firm like Clifford Chance you will be able to qualify into another firm (including American ones) if you wish, but it's often harder the other way around - better to get a really strong foundation and springboard off that rather than enjoy an amazing salary but perhaps not the training you could get at another firm.

Other motivating factors for me were - the international scope of the work, the diversity of lawyers within the firm, the firm's very real commitment to gender equality within the legal profession and the collaborative focus of the firm's business strategy.

Reactions: Jaysen

Matt96

Standard Member
    Feb 26, 2018
    Hi @FreddyS! First and foremost it was a bit of a personal dream of mine to work for Clifford Chance so it was always going to be my first choice. As for why - the training at Clifford Chance was over and above anything provided by the American law firms that I had been looking into. While the high trainee salary at American firms in London is an obvious draw, I view the training contract as primarily developmental and a continuation of your learning process as a future qualified solicitor. People often say that if you train with a firm like Clifford Chance you will be able to qualify into another firm (including American ones) if you wish, but it's often harder the other way around - better to get a really strong foundation and springboard off that rather than enjoy an amazing salary but perhaps not the training you could get at another firm.

Other motivating factors for me were - the international scope of the work, the diversity of lawyers within the firm, the firm's very real commitment to gender equality within the legal profession and the collaborative focus of the firm's business strategy.

I remember going to the Clifford Chance open day and being blown away by the gym/swimming pool/restaurants - it's also my top choice. I think where I'm falling down at the minute is commercial awareness - did Clifford Chance test you a lot on that? And do you have any advice on how to develop it?

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi @FreddyS! First and foremost it was a bit of a personal dream of mine to work for CC so it was always going to be my first choice. As for why - the training at CC was over and above anything provided by the American law firms that I had been looking into. While the high trainee salary at American firms in London is an obvious draw, I view the training contract as primarily developmental and a continuation of your learning process as a future qualified solicitor. People often say that if you train with a firm like CC you will be able to qualify into another firm (including American ones) if you wish, but it's often harder the other way around - better to get a really strong foundation and springboard off that rather than enjoy an amazing salary but perhaps not the training you could get at another firm.

That was a really detailed answer thank you! If you don't mind me asking one more - I studied economics instead of law at uni, do you think you were at a disadvantage by being a non-law student?

Amy Hillier

Future Trainee
    Feb 28, 2018
    I remember going to the Clifford Chance open day and being blown away by the gym/swimming pool/restaurants - it's also my top choice. I think where I'm falling down at the minute is commercial awareness - did Clifford Chance test you a lot on that? And do you have any advice on how to develop it?

I can't deny the offices are unbelievable - although perhaps don't place too much emphasis on that being the reason for your application!

I think commercial awareness was certainly tested during the case study. As I'm sure you well know, commercial awareness is an incredibly nebulous concept - there's no one magic key to unlock it. More than anything it's all about reading the business news regularly, gaining an interest in it and then being able to make connections fluidly between the firm and the business (in a case study scenario for example). The business is merging with another in a different country? You need to be thinking about whether the firm has an office there. Fintech questions? Does the firm have a tech practice area? Etc. etc. It's about knowing the firm, knowing the industry and being able to make intelligent connections.

Reactions: taneshS

Amy Hillier

Future Trainee
    Feb 28, 2018
    That was a really detailed answer thank you! If you don't mind me asking one more - I studied economics instead of law at uni, do you think you were at a disadvantage by being a non-law student?

Simple answer - not at all! Assessment centres are catered for non-law and law students so you're never meant to be at a disadvantage. If anything a degree like economic will be highly advantageous in terms of understanding businesses and developing commercial awareness.

Reactions: FreddyS

taneshS

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Feb 26, 2018
    Hi guys,

Hi Amy, this has been really helpful already! How are you finding the GDL, I heard it can be quite intense? Also I don't suppose you know anything about the Solicitors Qualifying Examination and how that'll change things?

Last edited by a moderator:

jess889

Distinguished Member
    Feb 26, 2018
    Hi guys,

Hiya :) That's interesting that you went from languages to law. Was that always the plan?

MightyMoe

Star Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi guys,

Hello Amy - I can see you're being piled on with questions so apologies for adding to the list. That's really impressive that you were the first generation to attend university, that's what I'm trying to do too, though I have a lot of doubts about getting into the magic circle/US firms. Can I ask - how did you work out which firms to apply to? And how did you find out how to tailor your applications? For example I feel like the magic circle firms are very similar to each other (except Slaughters).

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Amy I note you are a member of AS, as I am too due to state educated secondary school. I tried to get a mock interview with them before an AC but unfortunately they never got back to me and I feel I could do with their help. Is there a hard and fast rule in your opinion about nailing this kind of advice?. Thx

Amy Hillier

Future Trainee
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Amy, this has been really helpful already! How are you finding the GDL, I heard it can be quite intense? Also I don't suppose you know anything about the SQE and how that'll change things?

The GDL is quite intense in terms of the sheer quantity of information that you're taking on, but totally manageable nonetheless. Interesting too! I am working three days per week while doing a full time GDL and I still have some resemblance of a social life/ doing quite well in my studies so it's nothing to worry about!

As for the SQE, I'm afraid I don't know a great deal about that. This looks like a good source of information though: https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sec...-will-the-new-sqe-super-exam-affect-graduates

Sorry I can't be of further help on that one.

Amy Hillier

Future Trainee
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hiya :) That's interesting that you went from languages to law. Was that always the plan?

Hi :) Not at all! I chose languages because it was something I enjoyed and something I felt would keep my options open career-wise (I really didn't know what I wanted to become at that stage). I undertook a 6-month legal internship at a law firm in Barcelona during my year abroad (third year) and realised law was an area I could really envisage myself building a career in. The thing I love about the legal industry is that its doors are open to all academic backgrounds, and everyone can bring something from their original degree to the table in one way or another.

Reactions: jess889

Amy Hillier

Future Trainee
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hello Amy - I can see you're being piled on with questions so apologies for adding to the list. That's really impressive that you were the first generation to attend university, that's what I'm trying to do too, though I have a lot of doubts about getting into the magic circle/US firms. Can I ask - how did you work out which firms to apply to? And how did you find out how to tailor your applications? For example I feel like the magic circle firms are very similar to each other (except Slaughters).

Hi @MightyMoe, sorry for the delay in replying, and please don't apologise - keep the questions coming, I'm happy to help!

As first gen to university it is really important to be conscious of what differentiates you from the main stream - there will definitely be something and it will only help you in terms of your applications to magic circle/ US firms.

In terms of working out which firms to apply to, I was very, very clear about the characteristics I was looking for in a firm and only applied to those firms which suited said characteristics. For example, I was personally only applying to firms with a) international reach b) office in Russia (I'm a Russian speaker) c) a clear gender equality strategy d) collaborative focus and culture, and e) pro bono which I was interested in. It was by tailoring my search profile for potential firms that I naturally tailored my actual applications. Given that the firms I chose had all/ some of those aforementioned characteristics it was very easy to transfer/ adapt my answers with a relatively short turnaround for each firm. Essentially, by tailoring the firm profile I simultaneously tailored my written application. I hope that makes sense.

I completely get where you are coming from in terms of magic circle firms seeming really similar to one another. I think ultimately it is up to you as an individual to differentiate between the firms by way of your experiences and preferences. To do this it is really important to try and meet the firm in some capacity whenever you can - Aspiring Solicitors is a fantastic scheme in that respect. Get a feel for the vibe of the firm, ask yourself - do you get on with these people? Can you imagine yourself working in this office? Are you excited at the prospect of applying? Why are you excited? Are there any differences in their training programme structures? etc etc. I know that is probably an unsatisfying answer but ultimately the firm wants to know why you prefer them over the rest, and I can't necessarily tell you that.

Amy Hillier

Future Trainee
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Amy I note you are a member of AS, as I am too due to state educated secondary school. I tried to get a mock interview with them before an AC but unfortunately they never got back to me and I feel I could do with their help. Is there a hard and fast rule in your opinion about nailing this kind of advice?. Thx

Hi @Helena Boyd. Do you mean in terms of getting mock interview practice? I have to admit I never did a mock interview with AS but I did mock interviews during my undergrad and at BPP. If you can't score a mock interview with AS, get in contact with your careers service and they will be sure to provide something. Otherwise, never underestimate the patience of friends and family to grill you (I am fairly certain they derive some pleasure/ comedy value from it). Write them a list of questions and get them to fire away! If anything I sometimes think it's even harder to interview with friends!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.