Ask Shearman & Sterling Anything!

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul!

I just came across the Virtual Training contract application workshop through the forum but it's sold out on Eventbrite already and I was just wondering if you'll be holding similar virtual events in the future?

Hi @ibs97 - yes, I'm hoping to run some more in the next few weeks. I'll post them on this forum if I do.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: ibs97 and Alice G

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
I’m not Paul, but can shed some light on this based on conversations I have had within the industry so far.

Most firms are recruiting 2022/2023 trainee intakes currently - this means that it’s likely the economy will be in a state of recovery/growth by then even if this drags on for some time. It means their approach to recruitment is very different to other industries that are recruiting their 2020/21 graduate intakes - they have to think much longer term by default.

This is also against a backdrop of the qualification system changing and ultimately qualification rates undoubtedly being much lower than they are currently (as its suspected many more will fail the SQE than pass the LPC currently). There is a sense that more people will need to start their training, because more people will fail the exams. If you take the large accountancy firms as an example, their graduate intakes are about 20-25% larger because people don’t pass their ACA exams.

Even if numbers are cut, when compared to other sectors I suspect law will be one of the most stable industries and see a fairly moderate cut compared to other industries. You only need to look at how historical figures have changed for the Top 100 Employers to give you an idea of how much more stable law is to other industries (see figures and percentage changes below, particularly the 2008 figures and negative percentage changes).
View attachment 1727 View attachment 1729

Hi @Paralegal178 - yes @Jessica Booker is spot on here. It won't affect recruitment. We are not planning to reduce the number of trainees we are currently recruiting.

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul,

Whilst you are not planning on reducing the trainees you are currently recruiting, will the pandemic have any impact on the trainees due to start at Shearman either later this year or in 2021?

Hi @Lawgirl1012

Thanks for your question. We don't have any plans to change our 2020 or 2021 trainee intake.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Hi Paul,

I think my WiFi went and so I came out of the virtual workshop to reload but it won’t let me back in! Do you know if once you leave you cannot enter again?

Ella

Reg

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
Hi Paul,

I think my WiFi went and so I came out of the virtual workshop to reload but it won’t let me back in! Do you know if once you leave you cannot enter again?

Ella
I think something like this happened to me and sadly I was unable to reconnect. It said the server was unavailable.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I think something like this happened to me and sadly I was unable to reconnect. It said the server was unavailable.
Hi Paul,

Ella
Sorry to hear this guys but I know @Paul - Shearman & Sterling did say that Shearman would be looking to hold more of these in the future so I would really recommend following their Instagram and other social media outlets to keep updated and for all the other good stuff they put out for candidates!

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Sorry to hear this guys but I know @Paul - Shearman & Sterling did say that Shearman would be looking to hold more of these in the future so I would really recommend following their Instagram and other social media outlets to keep updated and for all the other good stuff they put out for candidates!

Thanks @Alice G

Yes, more virtual training contract application workshops now available.https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/shearman-amp-sterling-uk-graduates-8537004627

Larry HC

Jan 9, 2020
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling , I'm looking to apply for a vacation scheme at Shearman & Sterling for this year. I'm a bit stuck on the first question (How does Shearman maintain their competitive advantage?). Have you got any suggestions about how to approach it?
Thank you very much

Hi @Polzovatel, I'm not Paul but I found this video (link below) prepared by Shearman to be quite helpful. I have also looked at what Shearman's approach was in competing with UK and US firms, then how they maintain that. I found it to be a good starting point for my reserach, hope this helps and good luck with your application.

https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/2020/08/27/qa-with-nicholas-buckworth/

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and Jessica Booker

Polzovatel

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling , I'm looking to apply for a vacation scheme at Shearman & Sterling for this year. I'm a bit stuck on the first question (How does Shearman maintain their competitive advantage?). Have you got any suggestions about how to approach it?
Thank you very much

Hi - thanks for the question.

The point of the application form questions is to understand what you think - there is no right or wrong answer.

Simply, do your research on the firm and the legal sector and tell us what you think.

Thanks,

Paul

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling I have a question. I note that you do not recruit on a rolling basis. Does this apply to Open Day applications too? I note there is a short window between the deadline and event date in October for example.

Hi @Lawgirl123

No rolling recruitment for Open Days. We tend to be able to review all applications in a few days following the deadline.

The event will be online this year too, so successful applicants won't have to arrange travel etc.

Thanks,

Paul

csyn

Star Member
Feb 3, 2020
Hi Paul,

Hope this is the correct forum for me to ask the following: when can applicants for Shearman & Sterling's International Arbitration Internship expect to hear back regarding the status of their application made earlier in the summer?

Thank you!

Nikhilrai

May 30, 2020
Hi Paul,

Hope this is the correct forum for me to ask the following: when can applicants for Shearman & Sterling's International Arbitration Internship expect to hear back regarding the status of their application made earlier in the summer?

Thank you!

Hi Paul,

I have the exact same question. I was slightly confused as I had been told applicants were taken on an ad hoc basis however applications were open during the summer and I haven’t heard a response. Just wondering when we will hear back?

Thank you for your help!

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul,

I have the exact same question. I was slightly confused as I had been told applicants were taken on an ad hoc basis however applications were open during the summer and I haven’t heard a response. Just wondering when we will hear back?

Thank you for your help!

Hi,

The International Arbitration Internship doesn't have a deadline - we recruit on an ad-hoc basis. It's different from our graduate recruitment positions.

Once an internship position is available we will review applications.

Thanks,

Paul

keira

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020
Hi Paul,

I'm planning on applying for the Spring vacation scheme and your website says you are recruiting for Aug 2022 and Aug 2023. Should we make clear on our application which year we are applying for, or will vacation scheme participants be considered for both years?

Thanks for all the great advice so far!

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul,

I'm planning on applying for the Spring vacation scheme and your website says you are recruiting for Aug 2022 and Aug 2023. Should we make clear on our application which year we are applying for, or will vacation scheme participants be considered for both years?

Thanks for all the great advice so far!

Hi @keira

Thanks for the question.

There's no need to specify when you would like to start on your application. We work that out once we have made you a training contract offer.

We will have a few places for our training contract programme starting in August 2022, but most offers will be for August 2023.

I hope that explains.

Thanks,

Paul

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.