Ask Shearman & Sterling Anything!

Chrislyn Pereira

Sep 23, 2020
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling, I have a question regarding visa sponsorships and the vacation scheme.

I am aware that the firm exclusively recruits for training contracts from the vacation schemes and that the firm does take on international students. However, I imagine this applies in the typical case whereby the applicant applies in their penultimate year and hence has no issues with visa restrictions during the vacation scheme period. As someone who has just graduated and is no longer holding a visa, would the firm be able to assist in procuring a visa specifically for a vacation scheme (I believe certain internships/work experience can be done under a Tier 5 visa)? Or would it not make sense to apply given the visa restriction?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling, I have a question regarding visa sponsorships and the vacation scheme.

I am aware that the firm exclusively recruits for training contracts from the vacation schemes and that the firm does take on international students. However, I imagine this applies in the typical case whereby the applicant applies in their penultimate year and hence has no issues with visa restrictions during the vacation scheme period. As someone who has just graduated and is no longer holding a visa, would the firm be able to assist in procuring a visa specifically for a vacation scheme (I believe certain internships/work experience can be done under a Tier 5 visa)? Or would it not make sense to apply given the visa restriction?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi @Chrislyn Pereira

To do the Vacation Scheme, you would need to have the right to work in the UK. We wouldn't be in a position to assist you with a VISA just for the 2-week vacation scheme.

I hope that explains.

Thanks,

Paul

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi Paul,

I interviewed for a vacation scheme in late 2017 or early 2018 after attending a student presentation and open day. It was my first ever 'serious' job interview as a fresh-faced undergrad and it didn't go well as I am not sure I prepared enough. Since it has been a while, would it be ok for me to apply again?

I am at a very different stage in my life, having completed my undergraduate degree and a two year masters, but I still remember just how friendly everyone I met from the firm was - yourself included!

Please let me know!

Aicha

Standard Member
    Oct 25, 2020
    I ended my first year with around 58% in my French and History degree. By the end of second year my grades went to 64.5%. I was wondering whether it would still be worth applying to your firm or would I be outright rejected?

My extra-curriculars and work experience are strong but would the grades enable me to get through the initial application round?

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    I ended my first year with around 58% in my French and History degree. By the end of second year my grades went to 64.5%. I was wondering whether it would still be worth applying to your firm or would I be outright rejected?

My extra-curriculars and work experience are strong but would the grades enable me to get through the initial application round?

Hi @Aicha - thanks for your question.

There's absolutely no reason why you would be rejected based on what you've told me.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: Aicha

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    Hi Paul,

I interviewed for a vacation scheme in late 2017 or early 2018 after attending a student presentation and open day. It was my first ever 'serious' job interview as a fresh-faced undergrad and it didn't go well as I am not sure I prepared enough. Since it has been a while, would it be ok for me to apply again?

I am at a very different stage in my life, having completed my undergraduate degree and a two year masters, but I still remember just how friendly everyone I met from the firm was - yourself included!

Please let me know!

Hi @Matt_96

I think it's worth applying again. It can go either way if you have been interviewed previously, but as you've indicated, your first interview was a long time ago and you have developed since then.

Good luck!

Paul

PhoebeL

Esteemed Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Hi Paul,

I attended the open day (which was fab) and I plan on applying for a VS, I was just wondering if in the VS application I can transfer the information provided in the description boxes for the work history section on the open day application straight to the VS application?

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Hi Paul! Thanks for answering the questions here so readily - they've been very useful in my application for an open day and I'll be looking forward to the workshops on the 2nd!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    Hi Paul,

What do your grade requirements look like?

Do you really care about very good grades? Or are you more interested in whether we've met a minimum threshold. I.e. Low or Mid 2:1?

Hi @Samantha

Our grade requires are AAB at A-Level (or equivalent) and a min. 2.1 at university.

All applications that meet these criteria will be reviewed.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: Jessica Booker

AS2000

Distinguished Member
    Nov 15, 2020
    Hi Paul,

Thank you for the Q&A session,

I wanted to ask you about the IB requirement for the vac scheme. What does S&S consider to be an AAB equivalent in terms of IB grades? So far, I have seen scores from 32 to 36 being equated to an AAB.

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hi Paul,

Apologies if I have missed this out in the email for the open day but are the attendees going to be on camera? I would assume so but I thought I'd ask just to make sure!

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    Hi Paul,

Apologies if I have missed this out in the email for the open day but are the attendees going to be on camera? I would assume so but I thought I'd ask just to make sure!

Hi @R19 - I'm really pleased you'll be joining us on Wednesday.

There'll be no requirement for you to join via your webcam. It's more of a webinar format.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: jan28

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.