Ask Shearman & Sterling Anything!

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi everyone,

In case you have seen this yet, we have launched our inaugural ๐—•๐—น๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ธ ๐—จ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ด๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐˜‚๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ ๐—œ๐—ป๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ป๐˜€๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฝ & ๐—Ÿ๐—ฎ๐˜„๐˜†๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐——๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜ programme โ€“ ๐—•.๐—จ.๐—œ.๐—Ÿ.๐—— @ ๐—ฆ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ป in association with Chevron. Here is a summary of the internship:
  • BUILD is a month-long internship, in our London office, that will provide work experience and mentoring opportunities for talented students from the Black community
  • Interns will have the opportunity to experience different practice groups including Antitrust, Finance, Funds, International Arbitration, M&A and Project Development & Finance
  • Interns will be assigned supervisors and mentors who will provide guidance during the programme, as well as ongoing mentoring following completion of the internship
  • High-performing Interns will be fast-tracked and guaranteed an interview for a subsequent vacation scheme
Further details here: https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/opportunities/build/

Applications are open until midnight Sunday 6 June.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Dwight

Thanks for the question. We will be running 4 schemes in the next academic year - winter, spring (x 2) and summer. We are planning to open the application cycle 1st September.

Thanks,

Paul
Thanks for getting back to me, @Paul - Shearman & Sterling.

How long will each scheme be and will they be virtual or in-person? Also, is it possible to find out the application questions before applications open on 1st September?

Thank you.

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Thanks for getting back to me, @Paul - Shearman & Sterling.

How long will each scheme be and will they be virtual or in-person? Also, is it possible to find out the application questions before applications open on 1st September?

Thank you.
Hi @Dwight

Each scheme is two weeks long, and we are planning to run them in-person.

The application questions will be the same this year. You might find this video useful; it gives you some tips on how to plan your answers.

https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/2020/12/09/writing-training-contract-applications/

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: Dwight

k.k

Apr 29, 2021
Hi Paul, I've seen that Shearman & Sterling have minimum academic requirements. However, would a application still be considered if it doesn't meet the A Level requirements but does meet the 2.1 requirement? And are mitigating circumstances take into consideration? Thanks!

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Dwight

The application questions will be the same this year. You might find this video useful; it gives you some tips on how to plan your answers.

https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/2020/12/09/writing-training-contract-applications/

Thanks,

Paul
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling,

Thanks for that. I watched the video and it is very helpful - concise and to the point on what is required to write an application. I have recommended it to some friends!

What are the application questions? I am unaware of them and would like to plan my application early.

Also, are all of the schemes open to final-year students?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul, I've seen that Shearman & Sterling have minimum academic requirements. However, would a application still be considered if it doesn't meet the A Level requirements but does meet the 2.1 requirement? And are mitigating circumstances take into consideration? Thanks!
Hi @k.k

Yes we have minimum academic requirements (most firms do). If a candidate has mitigating circumstances that have affected their academic performance, then we will absolutely take this into consideration.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: k.k

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling,

Thanks for that. I watched the video and it is very helpful - concise and to the point on what is required to write an application. I have recommended it to some friends!

What are the application questions? I am unaware of them and would like to plan my application early.

Also, are all of the schemes open to final-year students?

Thank you.
Hi @Dwight

The application questions are detailed in the video.

Yes, all of our schemes are open to final year students, whether they are studying law or not.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: Dwight

nehasunil88

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2021
Hi Paul
Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread. I am sure you are extremely busy. I am a final year LLB undergraduate and plan on applying to Shearman for its vacation scheme this cycle. In case I fail to obtain a TC offer, I will go on to do an LLM SQE. I know that Shearman has not made any firm plans about the SQE yet so will me undertaking the SQE instead of the LPC disadvantage me in the application process?

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi @nehasunil88

Thanks for the question. It's clear you have already made an excellent choice - planning to apply to Shearman & Sterling!

Re the SQE - all law firms will be moving to this in the next couple of years with there being a transitional period. Studying the SQE will not be a disadvantage.

Typically law firms don't make hiring decisions based on what postgraduate/professional qualifications you have taken.

I hope that helps.

Paul

Reactions: nehasunil88

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling, I hope you are well. Iโ€™m an international student so I can only apply if the vacation scheme dates are outside my term dates (to work full-time). However, Shearmanโ€™s winter and spring VS dates fall within my term time. My final term ends June 17th 2022, so I was wondering if I would be able to apply for the summer one although it starts June 14th?

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling, I hope you are well. Iโ€™m an international student so I can only apply if the vacation scheme dates are outside my term dates (to work full-time). However, Shearmanโ€™s winter and spring VS dates fall within my term time. My final term ends June 17th 2022, so I was wondering if I would be able to apply for the summer one although it starts June 14th?

Hi @summer207

We've actually changed the date of our Summer Vacation Scheme. It will now run from 21 June - 1 July, so you should be ok.

Further details here: https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/opportunities/vacation-schemes/

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: summer207

ibs97

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2020
Hi @Dwight

Thanks,

Paul
Hi Paul,

do you think the schemes will definitely be in person or is it flexible depending on how the covid situation progresses in the autumn?

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Dwight

The application questions are detailed in the video.

Yes, all of our schemes are open to final year students, whether they are studying law or not.

Thanks,

Paul
Thank you for your response, @Paul - Shearman & Sterling.

Apologies - I did not mean to ask that question for this thread. I was meaning to check whether each question is a maximum of 250 words?

Thank you.

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
Oct 15, 2020
Hi @summer207

We've actually changed the date of our Summer Vacation Scheme. It will now run from 21 June - 1 July, so you should be ok.

Further details here: https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/opportunities/vacation-schemes/

Thanks,

Paul

Dear Paul,

I am on a visa that allows 20 paid hours/week during term-time and I have four days overlapping between my term and Shearman's winter/spring vacation scheme dates. Does this allow me to only apply to the summer scheme?

Thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.