Ask Shearman & Sterling Anything!

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Hi everyone,

If you have any questions you would like to ask ahead of our vacation scheme deadline on Sunday, I'll be checking this forum all this week, so feel free to ask and I'll reply.

Thanks,

Paul
Hi Paul, thanks for this.

I just have a query regarding the application question “Please use this space to explain your interest in pursuing a legal career at a city law firm, and your interest in Shearman & Sterling.” Since city is mentioned specifically, should there be some reference to pursuing law in the city versus just pursuing commercial law more generally?

Thanks.

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul, thanks for this.

I just have a query regarding the application question “Please use this space to explain your interest in pursuing a legal career at a city law firm, and your interest in Shearman & Sterling.” Since city is mentioned specifically, should there be some reference to pursuing law in the city versus just pursuing commercial law more generally?

Thanks.
Hi @ek125712

Thanks for the question.

The question on the application form is simply referring to commercial law.

Thanks,

Paul

• 🏆
Reactions: futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi everyone,

We have a number of events taking place in our London in the next few weeks. After 2 years of Zoom, it feels good to be running events in person again!

The application deadlines are approaching for a few of these. Details below:

Being LGBTQ+ in Law conference - 5 May 6-8pm (deadline Sunday 10 April)
Open Day - for state school educated students - 27 April, 1-6pm (deadline Sunday 10 April)
Head Start - for 1st year students - 4 May 1-6pm (deadline Sunday 24 April)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: Jessica Booker

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
Hi Paul,

First of all, thank you very much for organising the variety of events for us to learn more about Shearman & Sterling.

I am grateful to have been offered a place at the Open Day for state school educated students. As I will be making my way back to Birmingham in the evening, I would be grateful if you could please advise on how long an Open Day typically lasts, and whether there is any travel/financial assistance available for the Open Day?

Thank you very much for your time.

Kind regards,
Ashleigh

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul,

First of all, thank you very much for organising the variety of events for us to learn more about Shearman & Sterling.

I am grateful to have been offered a place at the Open Day for state school educated students. As I will be making my way back to Birmingham in the evening, I would be grateful if you could please advise on how long an Open Day typically lasts, and whether there is any travel/financial assistance available for the Open Day?

Thank you very much for your time.

Kind regards,
Ashleigh
Hi @ashleigh.c

The open day will end around 6.30pm. We will reimburse travel expenses up to £50.

See you on Wednesday,

Paul

Reactions: Jaysen

SarahB3

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 28, 2019
Hi Paul,

May I ask what the ratio or percentage is, of graduates the firm hire compared to students at Sherman & Sterling?

Do you advise on whether I apply for the VS or direct TC?

Melvin Ng

Sep 22, 2020
Hi Paul, I have a few questions regarding the vac scheme application

1. As my current visa would allow me to participate in the firm's vacation scheme but will require visa sponsorship if offered a training contract, does that mean I do not have permission to work in the UK?

2. I currently do not have permission to work in the US. Would that put me at any disadvantage in comparison to those who have a working visa in the US?

Thank you.

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul,

May I ask what the ratio or percentage is, of graduates the firm hire compared to students at Sherman & Sterling?

Do you advise on whether I apply for the VS or direct TC?
Hi @SarahB3

Thanks for the question. It varies each year. Recruitment decisions are not based on whether an applicant is a current student or a graduate, so it's not something you need to overthink.

I'm happy to receive applications from students and graduates alike.

Regarding VS or direct TC, we recruit exclusively via Vacation Schemes.

Thanks,

Paul

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul, I have a few questions regarding the vac scheme application

1. As my current visa would allow me to participate in the firm's vacation scheme but will require visa sponsorship if offered a training contract, does that mean I do not have permission to work in the UK?

2. I currently do not have permission to work in the US. Would that put me at any disadvantage in comparison to those who have a working visa in the US?

Thank you.

Hi @Melvin,

To quickly answer your question:

1. Yes, if you require a VISA to complete a Training Contract you should indicate that you do not have permission to work in the UK. This won't put you at a disadvantage - it just lets us know you will need a VISA.

2. No, this won't put you at a disadvantage.

Thanks,

Paul

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.