Ask Shearman & Sterling Anything!

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Dear Paul,

I am on a visa that allows 20 paid hours/week during term-time and I have four days overlapping between my term and Shearman's winter/spring vacation scheme dates. Does this allow me to only apply to the summer scheme?

Thanks!
Hi @corplaw0702

It's difficult for me to say. It's your visa, so you need to figure out what you are allowed to do.

The vacation schemes are full-time (for 2-weeks), so it doesn't look like you can as a working week is usually 35 hours, but as I said, it's a little difficult for me to advise.

The summer vacation scheme should be outside of term time though.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: corplaw0702

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling,

I hope this message finds you well.

I am aware that most law firms who conduct winter vacation schemes take the TC ACs in January following the winter break. In relation to the Shearman & Sterling Winter Vacation Scheme, when will the TC AC take place?

Thank you.

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019

I am aware that most law firms who conduct winter vacation schemes take the TC ACs in January following the winter break. In relation to the Shearman & Sterling Winter Vacation Scheme, when will the TC AC take place?

Thank you.

Hi @Dwight

The assessment centre is built into the vacation scheme, so you will do the assessment centre exercises during your two weeks with us.

Thanks,

Paul

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019

Hope you're well.

I wanted to if we have to tailor our work experience section and link it back to the firm as well? or is it ok to just pick out the transferrable skills generally?

Thank you.

Hi @Taz

For your work experience entries, it's best to write a paragraph simply explaining what the work experience was, key duties, responsibilities, achievements etc.

No need to link everything back to becoming a trainee.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: Dwight and Jaysen

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
To celebrate Black History Month, we are running an online panel event with a number of our black lawyers.

This event is for aspiring black solicitors and we invite you to join us to hear insights from our lawyers, who are at various stages in their career, on what Black History Month means to them and how they bring their authentic self to work each day.

You can register here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/blaque-in-the-city-tickets-192241799397

BLAQUE in the City 2021.png

keepmewherethelightis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2021
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling! I am a penultimate year law (B.A.LL.B) student from India, expected to graduate in 2023. I am greatly interested in applying for the vacation scheme at Shearman and Sterling. I'd be grateful if you could clarify a few questions that I had:

1. While I am aware the FAQs state that visas for vacation schemes are not sponsored, is there a possibility of this being considered on a case-by-case basis for strong applicants?
2. If a visa sponsorship for the vacation scheme is not possible for an international applicant, is there any possibility of a virtual vacation scheme (which would not require international applicants to have a right to work in the UK), or a direct training contract interview if the scheme is necessarily in-person?

As the vacation scheme is the only route to a training contract in the firm, it'll be great if I could get some clarity regarding this to determine whether I could apply for a scheme.

Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Paul - Shearman & Sterling! I am a penultimate year law (B.A.LL.B) student from India, expected to graduate in 2023. I am greatly interested in applying for the vacation scheme at Shearman and Sterling. I'd be grateful if you could clarify a few questions that I had:

1. While I am aware the FAQs state that visas for vacation schemes are not sponsored, is there a possibility of this being considered on a case-by-case basis for strong applicants?
2. If a visa sponsorship for the vacation scheme is not possible for an international applicant, is there any possibility of a virtual vacation scheme (which would not require international applicants to have a right to work in the UK), or a direct training contract interview if the scheme is necessarily in-person?

As the vacation scheme is the only route to a training contract in the firm, it'll be great if I could get some clarity regarding this to determine whether I could apply for a scheme.

Thank you so much!
Obviously not Paul, but the trickiness with the visas is not necessarily with the firm but actually the U.K. government’s requirements for work visas. Most vacation schemes will not meet the points based system currently in place for some of the visas a firm could apply to. That means that even if a firm wanted to bring someone in, they may not meet the visas requirements.

You may want to look into whether you could work in the U.K. under some form of youth mobility visa - this was announced earlier this year (but I don’t know too much about it to be honest!):

Unfortunately even with virtual schemes, you are likely to be employed on a U.K. pay system, which means a visa would still be required even if you didn’t enter the country. Paying people outside of the U.K. is unfortunately not easy, and especially in India given the Indian regulations around international lawyers working in the country.

keepmewherethelightis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2021
Obviously not Paul, but the trickiness with the visas is not necessarily with the firm but actually the U.K. government’s requirements for work visas. Most vacation schemes will not meet the points based system currently in place for some of the visas a firm could apply to. That means that even if a firm wanted to bring someone in, they may not meet the visas requirements.

You may want to look into whether you could work in the U.K. under some form of youth mobility visa - this was announced earlier this year (but I don’t know too much about it to be honest!):

Thanks for your inputs, @Jessica Booker!

I had a look at the Youth Mobility Scheme as well - I'm afraid I would not be eligible for it. The scheme requires the applicant to have completed an undergraduate degree. As I am presently a penultimate year law student in India, I would not be eligible for the Youth Mobility Scheme till I complete my degree in 2023.

I'm also not sure about whether there are any restrictions from the U.K. Government's side. However, Macfarlanes does sponsor visas for vacation schemes, and Links/A&O/HSF have routinely sponsored the visas for their India Internship in-person vacation schemes in previous years. Similarly, Indian students were paid for their virtual vacation schemes with Links/A&O/HSF last year. So maybe there is some scope, I guess.

However, a direct training contract application or (albeit less probable) a virtual vacation scheme would take care of these concerns, which is why I thought I'd ask Paul about this!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for your inputs, @Jessica Booker!

I had a look at the Youth Mobility Scheme as well - I'm afraid I would not be eligible for it. The scheme requires the applicant to have completed an undergraduate degree. As I am presently a penultimate year law student in India, I would not be eligible for the Youth Mobility Scheme till I complete my degree in 2023.

I'm also not sure about whether there are any restrictions from the U.K. Government's side. However, Macfarlanes does sponsor visas for vacation schemes, and Links/A&O/HSF have routinely sponsored the visas for their India Internship in-person vacation schemes in previous years. So maybe there is some scope, I guess.

However, a direct training contract application or (albeit less probable) a virtual vacation scheme would take care of these concerns, which is why I thought I'd ask Paul about this!
Yes, there will be some possibilities and it’s not impossible, just in many cases either difficult or costly.

The Indian specific programmes are a little different though as the firms you have listed will have a strategic aim to build their Indian talent within their network, and so invest heavily into that. They usually apply for the following visa in these cases (which they need a specific licence for): https://www.gov.uk/government-authorised-exchange

As mentioned, I would fully expect a virtual scheme to require a work permit however.

keepmewherethelightis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2021
Yes, there will be some possibilities and it’s not impossible, just in many cases either difficult or costly.

The Indian specific programmes are a little different though as the firms you have listed will have a strategic aim to build their Indian talent within their network, and so invest heavily into that. They usually apply for the following visa in these cases (which they need a specific licence for): https://www.gov.uk/government-authorised-exchange

As mentioned, I would fully expect a virtual scheme to require a work permit however.
Hmm, that makes sense. Thanks @Jessica Booker! :)

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019

Thank you so much!
Hi @keepmewherethelightis

Thanks for the question. I'm afraid it's as straightforward as it says in the FAQs. We can't offer VISAs for a two-week vacation scheme.

All our schemes will be running in-person in our London office this academic year.

I hope that explains.

Paul

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019

Unfortunately even with virtual schemes, you are likely to be employed on a U.K. pay system, which means a visa would still be required even if you didn’t enter the country. Paying people outside of the U.K. is unfortunately not easy, and especially in India given the Indian regulations around international lawyers working in the country.
Yes, what @Jessica Booker said!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
Hi Paul, I noticed on your website that the minimum grades are AAB for the vacation scheme. I had mitigating circumstances during my A-Levels and have since graduated with a 1st class degree and was wondering whether this would be considered when reviewing an application? Thanks in advance !:)

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul, I noticed on your website that the minimum grades are AAB for the vacation scheme. I had mitigating circumstances during my A-Levels and have since graduated with a 1st class degree and was wondering whether this would be considered when reviewing an application? Thanks in advance !:)
Hi @hopefullylaw2000

Thanks for your question. Yes, we always consider mitigating circumstances, so don't let this hold you back from applying.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019

I am aware that Shearman & Sterling runs two spring schemes but only one summer scheme. What does this mean for candidates applying for the summer scheme - is it more difficult to be successful for this scheme since there are less spaces? Also, I'm curious if spring and summer applications are read against each other, or if each cohort competes alone (i.e. spring applications are not compared to summer applications)?

Secondly, your website suggests that you recruit 12-15 candidates per year, but you are recruiting for August 2023 and 2024 this application cycle? Does that mean you will recruit 24 - 30 candidates this application cycle or will the 12-15 be split into the 2023 and 2024 cohorts?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Dwight

There tends to be very little difference in competitiveness for vacation schemes. I wouldn't let this affect which of the schemes you want to apply for.

We recruit 15 trainees per intake - so 15 in 2023, 15 in 2014 etc.

I hope that explains.

Thanks,

Paul
Thanks for clarifying, @Paul - Shearman & Sterling.

I just have one follow up question regarding intake numbers. Since you are recruiting for 2023 and 2024 intakes this application cycle (from website), will you be offering 30 training contracts this application cycle?

Thank you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.