Ask Shearman & Sterling Anything!

Heulwen

Oct 29, 2020
Hi Paul,

I noticed that most of your trainees graduated from a university in the UK with a mix of law and non-law degree, and I am worried that priorities will be given to UK graduates when you are recruiting new trainees. I am currently studying Political Science at UCLA and I want to pursue a career in commercial law specifically in London because it has close ties to my home place–Hong Kong, and it is the world's most international market for legal services. I recently applied for the Open Day event and was rejected. I sincerely hope to work at Shearman & Sterling's London office and I hope you could give me some advice.

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
Nov 9, 2020
Hi Paul,
I attended the Shearman open day yesterday (which I really enjoyed by the way!) and I found out about the issue of having a low contract law mark. As this was the first exam I ever took at university and being an international student with little experience writing essays I received a 50%. In my second year I took another contract related module (remedies) for which I gained a 2:1 and I graduated in 2020 with a first overall. However, I'm still a bit worried and was really looking forward to applying for the VS, for which I had already started my application. I was wondering if it was still worth applying.

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul,
I attended the Shearman open day yesterday (which I really enjoyed by the way!) and I found out about the issue of having a low contract law mark. As this was the first exam I ever took at university and being an international student with little experience writing essays I received a 50%. In my second year I took another contract related module (remedies) for which I gained a 2:1 and I graduated in 2020 with a first overall. However, I'm still a bit worried and was really looking forward to applying for the VS, for which I had already started my application. I was wondering if it was still worth applying.

Hi @Kelly Bracken

It is always difficult for me to give you a yes or no answer to these queries. The application form covers much more than your grades - it's not as reductive as looking at one module grade.

You should have confidence though - you successfully applied for the open day. That should tell you a lot ;)

Thanks,

Paul

SK02

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 11, 2021
hi Paul,

I am a law graduate (2020) from India and pursuing LLM at Queen Mary University of London (2020-21). I am curious to know do the firms consider LLM enrolled applicants for the vacation scheme program?

if yes ,then I have a follow up question about the visa status.

As per the UK guidelines the students graduating after April 2020 will be entrusted with additional 2 year post study visa, via Graduation immigration route, so in the application form what should I answer in visa/work permit related question?

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
hi Paul,

I am a law graduate (2020) from India and pursuing LLM at Queen Mary University of London (2020-21). I am curious to know do the firms consider LLM enrolled applicants for the vacation scheme program?

if yes ,then I have a follow up question about the visa status.

As per the UK guidelines the students graduating after April 2020 will be entrusted with additional 2 year post study visa, via Graduation immigration route, so in the application form what should I answer in visa/work permit related question?

Hi @Suraj Kundu

Yes, we do accept applications from LLM students.

Regarding your VISA, from the information you have provided, you should tick 'yes' the to question asking if require permission to work in the UK.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: SK02

Mxkry

Legendary Member
Oct 13, 2020
Hi Paul,

I was just wondering what happened to the International Arbitration Internship scheme. I applied in July and never recieved a response from the firm. I assume the pandemic meant that it was no longer possible for the scheme to go ahead, but I received no update on the application.

Kind Regards,

Mark

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul,

I was just wondering what happened to the International Arbitration Internship scheme. I applied in July and never recieved a response from the firm. I assume the pandemic meant that it was no longer possible for the scheme to go ahead, but I received no update on the application.

Kind Regards,

Mark

Hi @Mxkry

We recruit on an ad-hoc basis for that role.

Thanks,

Paul

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Hi Paul,

I was wondering if you can allocate candidates to a scheme they did not originally apply for? For example, if the spring scheme is full but you interviewed a strong candidate, would you offer them a place on the summer scheme?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Kelly_

SK02

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 11, 2021
Hi Paul,

I was wondering how S&S is looking up to the new SQE route to register as solicitor with SRA?

Is there and development done to adopt the new framework or the firm will be expecting the trainees to follow the existing route?

thanks and regards
Suraj

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul,

I was wondering if you can allocate candidates to a scheme they did not originally apply for? For example, if the spring scheme is full but you interviewed a strong candidate, would you offer them a place on the summer scheme?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Cmcc

It's possible, but all the schemes are equally competitive, so it very rarely happens.

Thanks,

Paul

• ℹ️
Reactions: 33c

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul,

I was wondering how S&S is looking up to the new SQE route to register as solicitor with SRA?

Is there and development done to adopt the new framework or the firm will be expecting the trainees to follow the existing route?

thanks and regards
Suraj

Hi @Suraj Kundu

We haven't formalised our SQE plans yet, so the existing route is good for now.

Thanks,

Paul

Reactions: SK02

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hi Paul,

I am finalising my application and I had a question about the work experience section. Is it suitable to compile all open days and workshop events into one single entry (I have five) or shall I make separate entries?

Thank you!

lawhopeful

Jan 10, 2021
Hi Paul, I am just finishing off my vacation scheme application. I applied and got onto the December Open Day and was just wondering if it is acceptable to have overlap between the two applications regarding why I am interested in Shearman & Sterling or should it be a completely fresh application?

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Hi Paul, I am just finishing off my vacation scheme application. I applied and got onto the December Open Day and was just wondering if it is acceptable to have overlap between the two applications regarding why I am interested in Shearman & Sterling or should it be a completely fresh application?

Hi @lawhopeful

It's difficult to say. Your Vac Scheme application will be reviewed separately from your Open Day application, so go with what you think is best.

Thanks,

Paul

matpart

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
Hi Paul,

How would you view an applicant who did an LLB for undergraduate studies, but then went on to do a master's in something non-law? I am committed to law and find it interesting, but I would love to take the opportunity of a year out after my LLB to explore something else, perhaps studying IR or becoming properly fluent in Arabic (as I have studied that before) in a course such as Arabic Studies. Would you think of an applicant with an educational history like this as undecided or not motivated enough to do law?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.