Ask TCLA's New Community Managers Anything!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, guys. Hope you all are doing well. Could you please help me with one question here? Which is better proof of my ability to communicate complex information in a simplified manner, a runners-up position at a Legal Opinion Writing Competition or multiple internship experiences where I was asked to write a lot? The way that I see it is that the former needs no explanation and the latter is unclear on its own and will need further detailing.

This is just one aspect to my answer to "Why You" and I'm worried that if I go into so much detail just to tick off "Effective Communication" skills, I will end up with a very long answer since I plan on doing two more points for this answer, "Clear motivation for a career in commercial law" being the second and another one that I haven't decided on yet.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, guys. Hope you all are doing well. Could you please help me with one question here? Which is better proof of my ability to communicate complex information in a simplified manner, a runners-up position at a Legal Opinion Writing Competition or multiple internship experiences where I was asked to write a lot? The way that I see it is that the former needs no explanation and the latter is unclear on its own and will need further detailing.

This is just one aspect to my answer to "Why You" and I'm worried that if I go into so much detail just to tick off "Effective Communication" skills, I will end up with a very long answer since I plan on doing two more points for this answer, "Clear motivation for a career in commercial law" being the second and another one that I haven't decided on yet.

Thanks.
Which one do you think represents yours skills best based on the complexity of the task of what you think challenged you the most?

I need to be brutally frank here, but the only person who knows this answer is you. A “title” of an experience means nothing to a recruiter and they can’t assume it means anything. It is always up to you as an applicant to sell your experiences and skill set.

However, what I will say is you are using multiple examples in your second option rather than one example from your first option. Therefore couldn’t you either just use one of your best example from one of your internships (to keep your answer concise or focused) or use the best example of your internships and the competition in unison, rather than multiple internships?

• 🏆
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Which one do you think represents yours skills best based on the complexity of the task of what you think challenged you the most?

I need to be brutally frank here, but the only person who knows this answer is you. A “title” of an experience means nothing to a recruiter and they can’t assume it means anything. It is always up to you as an applicant to sell your experiences and skill set.

However, what I will say is you are using multiple examples in your second option rather than one example from your first option. Therefore couldn’t you either just use one of your best example from one of your internships (to keep your answer concise or focused) or use the best example of your internships and the competition in unison, rather than multiple internships?
Thank you so much for this answer, Jessica.

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hello @AvniD , hope you are doing well. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're originally from India. Well, I'm from India too and wanted your help with a question that was asked in an interview at one of the firms that I'm applying to. The question was "Why London?" If I interpret it correctly, this isn't a "Why a London law firm and why not an Indian law firm" question but it looks like it's about why we want to live in the city of London. I have no idea about how I can approach this since I've never been to London but I really liked the Bollywood movie "Namastey London" (hope you've watched this because I really want to know if I can use this in my answer at all). So, could you please tell me, how can I answer this?

Thanks.
@AvniD and @George Maxwell's answers are excellent as usual.

I also got this question - the question for me was basically getting at the fact that I pursued my undergraduate degree in the US and I was applying to US firms, so why did I not want to work in the US???

Think about the London qualification process. You get real work experience across four or more practice areas and have the opportunity to really narrow down which area of law you want to practise before you qualify. Many City firms will offer you secondment opportunities, which is indicative of the truly global nature of the London market. London is the bridge between many global markets due to its central time zone and historical ties with Europe, North America and Asia. Finally, you simply cannot go wrong being a qualified solicitor in England and Wales as it is one of the most important legal jurisdictions in the world and will put you in a great position to work in any common law jurisdiction going forward.

Throughout your answer, I don't think you need to compare working in London with working in India at all unless your interviewers ask you to do so. Making comparisons risks portraying your less preferred option in a negative light which can come across as unprofessional. Just make sure to espouse the benefits that you see London offering you. I would only mention the movie as a joking aside at the end to build rapport with your interviewer. It could sound odd if you present that in earnest as your motivation for pursuing a career in London.

I hope that helps :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021

Thanks.
I agree with @Jessica Booker's answer completely and I am sure that you are best positioned to decide how you want to use your limited word count.

Perhaps you could phrase your point something like this: 'I enhanced my skills in writing clearly and concisely at A and B internships, where I completed tasks including C, D and E. My exceptional ability to communicate complex information in a simplified manner was then recognised when I was awarded...'

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I agree with @Jessica Booker's answer completely and I am sure that you are best positioned to decide how you want to use your limited word count.

Perhaps you could phrase your point something like this: 'I enhanced my skills in writing clearly and concisely at A and B internships, where I completed tasks including C, D and E. My exceptional ability to communicate complex information in a simplified manner was then recognised when I was awarded...'
Thanks for the answers, James.

• Love
Reactions: James Carrabino

S21

Standard Member
Dec 13, 2021
Hi, all! First time poster (but long time lurker who had no idea where else to go with this). I am currently working at an in-house legal department and have, within a few months been presented with the opportunity of having the LPC/SQE funded, dependant on preference. This is not something I expected at all at interview or even when starting the role. At the time there was positive discussions of what previous people in the role had moved onto after the experience gained. While I am grateful for the opportunity, there is the expectation that one would naturally stay on as a solicitor in the department. And even if there were not an expectation, I know that I would feel obligation to do so. My issue is that this is not an area of Law that I want to practice (evidenced my daily stalking of this forum hah), and I don't know how to articulate that without burning bridges or making it awkward in a close-knit, happy team.

I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

• ℹ️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, all! First time poster (but long time lurker who had no idea where else to go with this). I am currently working at an in-house legal department and have, within a few months been presented with the opportunity of having the LPC/SQE funded, dependant on preference. This is not something I expected at all at interview or even when starting the role. At the time there was positive discussions of what previous people in the role had moved onto after the experience gained. While I am grateful for the opportunity, there is the expectation that one would naturally stay on as a solicitor in the department. And even if there were not an expectation, I know that I would feel obligation to do so. My issue is that this is not an area of Law that I want to practice (evidenced my daily stalking of this forum hah), and I don't know how to articulate that without burning bridges or making it awkward in a close-knit, happy team.

How long have you been at the organisation and are there any opportunities within the company to move into an area you are interested in?

S21

Standard Member
Dec 13, 2021
How long have you been at the organisation and are there any opportunities within the company to move into an area you are interested in?
It would hit 3 months next week. And there is not, no, as the in-house department serves only the one area which I enjoyed studying and also enjoy working in at the moment as it is fresh, exciting but it is not wholly in line with where I want to be?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

I'm guessing that if they fund your LPC/SQE that it will be done based on a contractual obligation, rather than an expectation, on you to train with them. Have they made this clear or is it still at the discussion stage? Moreover, if this is not an area of law you're interested in training/qualifying into at all, then I would not take up their offer. I can understand that it's an incredibly hard decision to make, especially since they're willing to fund your LPC/SQE, but if you're clear about what you want and where you want your career to head and you're not getting that through this opportunity, then you should probably decline it.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021

I'm guessing that if they fund your LPC/SQE that it will be done based on a contractual obligation, rather than an expectation, on you to train with them. Have they made this clear or is it still at the discussion stage? Moreover, if this is not an area of law you're interested in training/qualifying into at all, then I would not take up their offer. I can understand that it's an incredibly hard decision to make, especially since they're willing to fund your LPC/SQE, but if you're clear about what you want and where you want your career to head and you're not getting that through this opportunity, then you should probably decline it.
Hi @S21, congratulations on the offer that you have - you must have really impressed them! Also congratulations on your first forum post!! :)

I would say that yes, if you are going to qualify into an area that is completely unrelated from where you want to be should you take up their offer, then you might have to decline, however difficult the decision. If there is the possibility of moving into the area you want to be (because it is closely related, for example) then I might consider accepting the offer.

Just to clarify, are they offering you a formal training contract or just stand-alone LPC/SQE funding?

Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It would hit 3 months next week. And there is not, no, as the in-house department serves only the one area which I enjoyed studying and also enjoy working in at the moment as it is fresh, exciting but it is not wholly in line with where I want to be?
If you wanted to buy yourself some time, you could ask them as to whether you could decide later on in 2022. You could use the excuse of trying to work out whether to take the SQE vs LPC route, and given most LPC courses wouldn't start until September 2022, you feel there is no immediate rush to commit to either route at this stage, especially if you wanted to see how the first set of SQE exams/pass rates went.

Just a thought anyway. Allows you to hedge your bets and not commit to anything, while buying you another 6 months or so before you'd need to make a decision.

S21

Standard Member
Dec 13, 2021
It's still at the discussion stage. Initially when mentioned last week, it was just something to think about, so I agreed to but also mentioned the excuse of not being sure about which route to take But today it reached the 'let's have a formal discussion with the development team about what we can do for you.' (@Jessica Booker) They would like for things to be solidified by end of January. I worry that me asking those questions (while not intending to accept the offer) may be perceived strangely? Or perhaps not and I am thinking far too much into the perception of it. In all honesty even my present worry relates to how I say 'no' and continue working here.

Thank you @Jaysen :) I believe it would be standalone funding, with the work I am currently doing/will be doing in the next year used as QWE for the SQE but not sure how it would apply against the LPC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It's still at the discussion stage. Initially when mentioned last week, it was just something to think about, so I agreed to but also mentioned the excuse of not being sure about which route to take But today it reached the 'let's have a formal discussion with the development team about what we can do for you.' (@Jessica Booker) They would like for things to be solidified by end of January. I worry that me asking those questions (while not intending to accept the offer) may be perceived strangely? Or perhaps not and I am thinking far too much into the perception of it. In all honesty even my present worry relates to how I say 'no' and continue working here.

Thank you @Jaysen :) I believe it would be standalone funding, with the work I am currently doing/will be doing in the next year used as QWE for the SQE but not sure how it would apply against the LPC.
Sounds like they want you to do down the SQE route. I don't blame them as it is much less of a commitment from their end.

Unless they are going to put you on a SQE prep course, you'd still not have to commit to the SQE until the end of May at the very earliest (the next assessments for SQE1 are at the end of July 2022 and you can sign up a minimum of 5 weeks before the assessment). You could state that you think it is too early to take the SQE exams in July, and therefore you would prefer to wait for the January 2023 SQE1 sitting - this again could buy you some time. As you can gain the QWE before taking the SQE assessments, there is also no need to make any studying commitment right now.

I don't think asking these questions would be perceived strangely though - you are making a pretty big commitment just for the studying part. I'd personally find it strange if people didn't ask questions to find out what they were signing up for.

Unless you think it is more hassle than its worth, I'd at least have the conversation with them to understand:
  1. What support they are offering (courses, time off, costs for training course/assessments etc)
  2. Whether there would be any repayment terms to any financial costs
  3. What policies would be on things like SQE resits (if it was the SQE route).
With the SQE you technically could move to another employer anyway in your area of interest and continue your QWE elsewhere.

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

S21

Standard Member
Dec 13, 2021
Sounds like they want you to do down the SQE route. I don't blame them as it is much less of a commitment from their end.

Unless they are going to put you on a SQE prep course, you'd still not have to commit to the SQE until the end of May at the very earliest (the next assessments for SQE1 are at the end of July 2022 and you can sign up a minimum of 5 weeks before the assessment). You could state that you think it is too early to take the SQE exams in July, and therefore you would prefer to wait for the January 2023 SQE1 sitting - this again could buy you some time. As you can gain the QWE before taking the SQE assessments, there is also no need to make any studying commitment right now.

I don't think asking these questions would be perceived strangely though - you are making a pretty big commitment just for the studying part. I'd personally find it strange if people didn't ask questions to find out what they were signing up for.

Unless you think it is more hassle than its worth, I'd at least have the conversation with them to understand:
  1. What support they are offering (courses, time off, costs for training course/assessments etc)
  2. Whether there would be any repayment terms to any financial costs
  3. What policies would be on things like SQE resits (if it was the SQE route).
With the SQE you technically could move to another employer anyway in your area of interest and continue your QWE elsewhere.
Thank you so much for taking out the time to break things down like that, though it may have been easier for you if I mentioned that undertaking a SQE prep course (beginning in September) was mentioned and then after that, the LPC. Apologies, Jessica. But I did not ask many questions as I was trying to navigate how to seem grateful but not show too much interest as I didn't want it to be perceived as being extremely keen and inquisitive only for me to turn around and say no in the end. As I do intend to continue working here and the team is very small and wonderful so I do not want to do anything to hamper the dynamic.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much for taking out the time to break things down like that, though it may have been easier for you if I mentioned that undertaking a SQE prep course (beginning in September) was mentioned and then after that, the LPC. Apologies, Jessica. But I did not ask many questions as I was trying to navigate how to seem grateful but not show too much interest as I didn't want it to be perceived as being extremely keen and inquisitive only for me to turn around and say no in the end. As I do intend to continue working here and the team is very small and wonderful so I do not want to do anything to hamper the dynamic.
You wouldn't do an SQE prep and then the LPC. There is no logic in that. You'd either do the LPC or a prep course - not both.

There wouldn't be an issue with being inquisitive and then saying no though. There could be more issues with turning them down as early as January in my opinion, hence why I was trying to suggest buying yourself some time. It seems a bit strange they want you to commit to this in January when nothing would start until September.

In my eyes, if that's what they want you to do, there is no rush on this, and I would suggest you just say to them that you would prefer to revisit this in 3-6 months time when you have had a chance to consider different factors. This is much more positive than saying no outright to them but also stops your fears of seeming like you are over-committing to them.

S21

Standard Member
Dec 13, 2021
You wouldn't do an SQE prep and then the LPC. There is no logic in that. You'd either do the LPC or a prep course - not both.

There wouldn't be an issue with being inquisitive and then saying no though. There could be more issues with turning them down as early as January in my opinion, hence why I was trying to suggest buying yourself some time. It seems a bit strange they want you to commit to this in January when nothing would start until September.

In my eyes, if that's what they want you to do, there is no rush on this, and I would suggest you just say to them that you would prefer to revisit this in 3-6 months time when you have had a chance to consider different factors. This is much more positive than saying no outright to them but also stops your fears of seeming like you are over-committing to them.
Sorry once again - I intended to say that the offer was initially the SQE, and then became a choice between the SQE or the LPC.

Thank you for your thoughtful and rational response, Jessica - it certainly helped me re-evaluate how to navigate the situation. I will definitely follow your approach of buying some more time, and saying that I would like to revisit this in 3-6 months time.

I really appreciate the time you took out to help me! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry once again - I intended to say that the offer was initially the SQE, and then became a choice between the SQE or the LPC.

Thank you for your thoughtful and rational response, Jessica - it certainly helped me re-evaluate how to navigate the situation. I will definitely follow your approach of buying some more time, and saying that I would like to revisit this in 3-6 months time.

I really appreciate the time you took out to help me! :)
No worries and sorry for the misunderstanding.

It sounds like that no matter whether its the LPC or a SQE prep course, the earliest commitment would be September. Therefore rather than making a decision in the next few weeks, you are just asking for it to be a few months. You can explain you need time to think about it where this wasn't mentioned in the interview process and therefore you hadn't expected this conversation, especially so early in your employment with them. If they are still pushing for you to make a decision, then you can say unfortunately "not now" but if you could, you'd like to revisit in 6 months time.

Reactions: James Carrabino

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.