Aston Martin IPO

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
@Selma95 I think perhaps think about this in a different way. Who are institutional investors? Why do they hold stock? Beyond company growth what is their motivation i.e what return do they want on their investment in the short, medium and long run

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
@Kazam I was responding to the question why would institutional investors be convinced the IPO will be successful if there is already high debt. And suggested looking at it in a different way to what @Christy and others had written.

I was thinking along the lines of... who are institutional investors? Banks, funds, etc. why do they hold stock? what motivates them? Dividends, capital growth, etc

Therefore, though there might be high debt, potential dividend yields for example in a reputable brand may be of sufficient interest to offset any concerns regarding debt.

D

Deleted member 348

@Kazam I was responding to the question why would institutional investors be convinced the IPO will be successful if there is already high debt. And suggested looking at it in a different way to what @Christy and others had written.

I was thinking along the lines of... who are institutional investors? Banks, funds, etc. why do they hold stock? what motivates them? Dividends, capital growth, etc

Therefore, though there might be high debt, potential dividend yields for example in a reputable brand may be of sufficient interest to offset any concerns regarding debt.

That is a really interesting way to look at it.

Kazam

Star Member
Early Bird
Aug 13, 2018

Got it! That's interesting - I was thinking if this was an interview question, an interviewer might argue something like that.

In response, I would say that the bigger concern is pursuing an IPO while Brexit negotiations are taking place. Several car companies have warned that a no deal Brexit could force plant closures, which would be especially damaging for Aston Martin as 2/3 of its parts come from the EU. In my opinion, the timing is wrong for institutional investors and Aston Martin are only trying to squeeze in an IPO before Brexit because they are worried about the consequences for their business. - The CEO has said himself that the timing was because of Brexit.

The guardian has quite a good overview of this.

upload_2018-9-25_9-32-9.png

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.