Australian/non-UK applicants

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Hi everyone!

I am a non-law (Australian) citizen looking to apply for Vac Schemes/TCs in the UK. I was wondering whether anyone has a list compiled as to firms that are willing to sponsor students seeking to move to the UK despite studying in a non-UK university?

I note that it's been mentioned earlier that firms are unlikely to sponsor for a Vacation Scheme (since it's 2-3 weeks with visas costing upwards of hundreds/thousands of dollars). But I was wondering whether anyone has any anecdotes/insights as to whether the likelihood is improved for Direct Training Contract applications?

Thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It will be very different for a training contract. Firms will be willing to invest money in a visa when other costs are much higher anyway (there was a stat from years ago that estimated firms spend about over £250,000 employing, recruiting and training each trainee).

I haven’t got a list, but to stress to you it may soon be out of date anyway. The visa system in the U.K. changes on 1 January 2021 and because of everything going on, it isn’t 100% clear what the new process will be. It is expected however that visa will be a lot easier to obtain. It would have been near on impossible to get a visa for someone like yourself (who hasn’t been in the U.K. on a study visa) because the employer had to prove they couldn’t have recruited someone from within the U.K./EU. That requirement will no longer exist, meaning the visa processes will be much more straight forward, and therefore more firms could be willing to get visas.

Last edited:

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
Just on a slight tangent - an alternative that I have seen work (albeit in my limited experience) for Australians is joining an alliance firm and subsequently transferring to the U.K. firm.

There are more than a few London-based Australian associates at Linklaters - for example - who came over from Allen’s, having done the clerkship programme there.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just on a slight tangent - an alternative that I have seen work (albeit in my limited experience) for Australians is joining an alliance firm and subsequently transferring to the U.K. firm.

There are more than a few London-based Australian associates at Linklaters - for example - who came over from Allen’s, having done the clerkship programme there.

This is actually the most common way really. Very few Australian grads come to the U.K. now to start their careers - use to be more pre 2010, but generally the Australian job market got more attractive post 2010 onwards, and so you didn’t really see the same numbers. The GDL/LPC used to make it a much more convoluted route too.

SQE may change things back though.

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.