Background checks

Mary Svensden

Apr 26, 2018
Hi guys,

Do any of you who are trainees already know what companies law firms use for background checking? How does the process work, what do you have to provide and how long does it take? Also, how do they check the extracurricular activities one has done? For example, if I did volunteering and it was on an ad-hoc basis, I would not be in their database, so how can I confirm I actually did that charity work?

Thank you!

M.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys,

Do any of you who are trainees already know what companies law firms use for background checking? How does the process work, what do you have to provide and how long does it take? Also, how do they check the extracurricular activities one has done? For example, if I did volunteering and it was on an ad-hoc basis, I would not be in their database, so how can I confirm I actually did that charity work?

Thank you!

M.

Hi Mary,

Our screening company was a risk consultancy. I remember they sent us a form to fill out but I think that was just to verify what we had said in our screening forms. We also sent them ID docs and details of our residency history for background/DBS checks. I remember in the email they said that they'd contact us if there were any issues but I didn't hear from them again - it was the law firm that wanted to check when they couldn't reach a referee.

I don't think they asked for referees in relation to extracurricular activities so if you didn't put it down in the work experience/employment section I don't think they'd check, but I can't say for sure. As far as I'm aware it's just academic and employment details.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.